SPArKy_Dave

This is crap....... :(

So for RWC, I fitted some new Rare Spares outer tie rod end boots to the XE.

I bought a set of 4, for about $35.00, but the original Ford inner boots were still perfect.

I also fitted a swaybar link/rubber kit from Dennis Carpenter repro Mustang parts.

This is less than 1,500km later.

No-wonder the front Right was clunking away like an old woman.

(no offence to old women) :P

I dunno about you guys, but I expected better mileage from the parts......

20160115_225230.jpg

20160115_230332.jpg

20160115_225420.jpg

20160115_225616.jpg

I'd like to hear the explanation for that quality

A Rare Spares techie fella Edan, contacted me on FB, and is posting me out some replacement ones.

Can't fault the quick response.

I'll be interested to see how the replacement ones go.

He mentioned they were using a different supplier for a while, and that may be the reason.

The worst part will be having to undo the tie rod ends again. (and for a third time, if the replacement ones fail.)

I did look at using the RareSpares swaybar link kits originally, too

but they looked deadset carbon copies of the Dennis Carpenter ones - right down to the un-common tapered rubber bushes.

(rather than stepped bushes)

The Dennis Carpenter ones were $8.00 cheaper, from a mustang repro parts place.

That's very bad form that it's not just one part that failed be several. And while the service was good that they are sending you out replacements how is it possible that a seller can still sell an expensive product while they know it's bad. All the known defective parts should have been withdrawn from sale and replaced with product from a good manufacturer that makes better product.

That's the problem with major businesses these days, they care more about profit than customers and it's only when a large majority of customers have an issue they are forced into admitting that the product has an issue. They don't care that the first few hundred odd customers that had this problem have lost their money and rare spares would have blamed the owner for incorrect install and refused a refund blah blah blah. It's only the next few hundred customers that have the same problem with their parts that benefit from the bad luck of the first few hundred customers cause the company can't risk that a thousand of their customers get bad/defective products.

I have just removed tie rods from my 300,000km xe sedan that look brand new compared to those "new" ones(the old tie rods had small cut's or the retaining ring had let go there was zero rubber boot deterioration like in Dave's pics) . Now the ones on my car clearly aren't the originals but they are have done many thousands of km's not many hundreds of km's. I have also just had replaced split sway bar link pin bushes on my xe sedan which were nolathane brand, they were less than 10,000km's old but the car has been sitting for almost 5 years with more than 70% of that time on car stands with no wheels on, plus nolethane are known for splitting as they are very hard.

I dont want to have a shot at anyone here, it annoys when people are (sometimes) narrow minded, and have a biased opinion about a manufacturer, just because of something they have been told or read. 

I rebuilt the front end in my XF wagon roughly 4 years ago, using Nolathane rebuild kit. At the time, the car was a daily driver, and since has done about 100,000km, and the suspension is still nice. its a little hard, but none of it is split. only 1 bush has split and that is a 1 of the 8 sway bar link bushes. 
as for tie rod ends and ball joints, i went through R&E Auto Parts, who sell Road Safe brand. again, not 1 issue with them. even the rubbers are still in good condition, and have no signs of splits, after all this time. Now i know, a few people i have spoken to say Road Safe is shit, and they fall apart etc etc. but i think from my experience, it proves otherwise. I personally would not go to places like Rare Spares for suspension components, but rather stick to what I know have been good, places like Burson's and R&E. 

Thats the norm dave they all seem like poo

Your having good luck aaron, I had to do my ute for its roady, it looked like that and it was all new. replaced it all anyway and 10.000km in its all broken again

what shits me is having to do a job twice cause of them rubber boots most go like that in a short amount of time I did a brand new Cortina front end last year that car has never moved more then in and out of the shed and is lik that 

Has anyone had trouble with WASP tie rod ends? I jacked up my xf ute today and gave the wheel a wriggle and she went clunkety clunk, thought Jesus that wheel bearing must be loose but upon further inspection I noticed that the noise and play was coming from the tie rod end pulling in & out of the adjusting tube about 1- 1.5mm. Maybe the adjusting tube had some wear before I had the new tie rod fitted about 40000km ago and that was the reason for the premature wear. Any thoughts on this fella's?

Has anyone had trouble with WASP tie rod ends? I jacked up my xf ute today and gave the wheel a wriggle and she went clunkety clunk, thought Jesus that wheel bearing must be loose but upon further inspection I noticed that the noise and play was coming from the tie rod end pulling in & out of the adjusting tube about 1- 1.5mm. Maybe the adjusting tube had some wear before I had the new tie rod fitted about 40,000km ago and that was the reason for the premature wear. Any thoughts on this fella's?

so is the thread in the adjusting tube buggered, i have had to change a couple here and there.

is the joint itself still good, 40,000km would be about all you'd get out of cheapies .. hoping wasp are reasonable

I haven't removed it yet, just tightened the bolt on the adjusting tube a little and it helped a small amount but won't be driving it until I can pull it off and inspect further.

That's very bad form that it's not just one part that failed be several. And while the service was good that they are sending you out replacements how is it possible that a seller can still sell an expensive product while they know it's bad. All the known defective parts should have been withdrawn from sale and replaced with product from a good manufacturer that makes better product.

That's the problem with major businesses these days, they care more about profit than customers and it's only when a large majority of customers have an issue they are forced into admitting that the product has an issue. They don't care that the first few hundred odd customers that had this problem have lost their money and rare spares would have blamed the owner for incorrect install and refused a refund blah blah blah. It's only the next few hundred customers that have the same problem with their parts that benefit from the bad luck of the first few hundred customers cause the company can't risk that a thousand of their customers get bad/defective products.

I have just removed tie rods from my 300,000km xe sedan that look brand new compared to those "new" ones(the old tie rods had small cut's or the retaining ring had let go there was zero rubber boot deterioration like in Dave's pics) . Now the ones on my car clearly aren't the originals but they are have done many thousands of km's not many hundreds of km's. I have also just had replaced split sway bar link pin bushes on my xe sedan which were nolathane brand, they were less than 10,000km's old but the car has been sitting for almost 5 years with more than 70% of that time on car stands with no wheels on, plus nolethane are known for splitting as they are very hard.

Well afraid to say this but here goes:

Business (particularly corporations) are pathological in their intent.  Business solely exists to deliver money to shareholders, and yeah if you get a batch of known shit, someone will inevitably do an analysis of keeping the junk and paying on warranty, vs junking it and getting quality ones.

This is a perfect example of this, diesel gate is another.

The only weapon you have against this shit is to complain like a bitch, constantly.  Its easier for business, while the screw the silent majority.

Moral of the story:  Doesn't pay to be nice, be a cunt.

This excludes small mom and dad style businesses - while they exist to turn a profit, there is a degree of morality to them missing from bigger concerns.

Sure you didnt put the old ones back in by mistake!

They look old and perished.

Now that would be funny!

New Specsavers ad coming up...

Funny story, my old man decided he needed glasses after doing just that - clutch master cyl was leaking in his Hilux, so he got a new set of seals, removed the MC, removed the old seals and checked them against the new ones, then promptly reinstalled the old ones and threw the new ones out. Wondered why it kept leaking, and he replaced the whole MC before he figured it out.

He went and got glasses not long after.