Grimmy

Acceptable Orange peel

Today I got my BA back from the panel shop after a closed door respray, courtesy of Ford . And it has a shit tonne of orange peel on it .

So the question is , how much peel is 'acceptable'??

Or will it flatten out over a few weeks ?

I think it looks terrible compared to the crap job ford did in the factory but I don't know what the standard is for a reputable panel shop .

I'll try and get some pics .

This pic is the resprayed on top and factory underneath

3357F80F-E253-47FC-A388-84E236053B7D.jpg

And just some other pics of the peel

07AC7F69-D6EF-43DB-8C97-9A690BE755DE.jpg

9EA6ECB3-D363-4A96-BCEB-DE3645825531.jpg

A6ECA794-84F1-4358-AAF8-708494911E2A.jpg

The paint is also full off what looks like tiny little pin pricks . I don't know if I'm being picky or not

I just repainted my bumpers in the shed, they have orange peel but nowhere near that bad. It could be just the photos but it does look pretty bad compared to what we did in the shed! and Dad and I are  no professionals haha 

It almost looks like a hammer tone finish, I would see if it settles down and if not take it back to the shop

I got it done under ford warranty/recall . But surely it shouldn't be this bad , if you look from the side it's almost astho it's a satin finish not gloss . The bonnet is Mickey Mouse . I don't know how they went from one extreme to the other . I paid to have a few small dents fixed and even that isn't done properly

Take it to the dealer that organised it or if you organised it take it back tomorrow and say your not happy. Give them the chance to make good a decent repair.

I rejected a repair on my Suzi Swift 3 times till the got it almost right. Consequently i cant use the local crash repairer anymore!  :huh:

They would have to do the whole thing , they even forgot some badges from the boot . But that's nothing really . Just the little things that let the whole job down

That's not acceptable in my opinion, I did look at a Ford territory the other day, a 2010 model and the paint was like that all over, I thought it had been sprayed but was told it was a factory finish, I said wow can't believe a product would be put out like that.

Yeah i wouldn't be real happy either but gotta say 'im surprized now days how much peel is in factory spray jobs'.

Im always picking at peoples paint on their cars in car parks or where ever, my other half cant stand it hahaha.

Even most european cars have peel in them, some top end things like BMW or Merc = peel.

People are paying 100k for these shitters only to have second hand paint jobs, its a joke.

If i were you, id take a walk around a couple of brand new car yards and see for yourself the quality or not paint

jobs their brand new cars have, you will be amaized at how much peel is out there  :(

Then make a decision if to take it back. Perhaps get a quote on a cut and polish job?

Solid colours are good, white, red etc but COB is where it turns nasty. 

All the hard work you have been through to get this done i understand your frustration  :angry:

The bonnet would have been ok because the paint will lay down and can be put on thick without runs. Not so on vertical panels, where you cant slap on as much at once. Peel like that is from slapping it on without enough thinner, so the job can be done with one or two thick coats instead of five thin ones, (and allowing flash-off between each). They've rushed the job.

The pin-pricks are likely to be solvent boil-off, again from rushing the job. They've probably baked it before the paint has had a chance to dry, causing the remaining solvent to bubble out as it's curing in the oven.

Thanks for the input , it's definitely a rush job because when I was speaking to the owner of the panel shop he said ford only pay 2weeks of labour and nothing more . I told them to take their time as I didn't need it back in a hurry . I never expected the paint to have a glass finnish , but the photos don't do it justice . The bonnet is ok , but the roof and boot is as bad as the rest of it so I dunno . They forgot to put the falcon badges on the boot , there is dust under the decals on the bonnet and there is blue paint in the boot and on the back seat from where they have scraped it off I work at a dealership and am around new cars all the time and this paint is far from what is coming from factory . I just need to know where I stand

Lol, it looks like one of those abstract Picasso paintings of a landscape reflection in a lake.

It's really terrible.

Ford must be getting old mate in the back shed, to do the painting.

(and even then, I'd expect better)

The tiny pin pricks, are called solvent pop.

My understanding, is it's caused when the job is rushed, and not enough flash time is allowed between coats,

and/or it's then force dried too quickly with radiant heat.

I first experienced that phenomenon, when I was resto'ing the under carriage on my Rangie Classic.

I was painting various brackets during winter time, and had them hanging in front of an old bar radiator.

The side facing the radiator got the tiny bubbles, where as the opposing side was perfect.

That solvent pop will always be there - ie, you generally can't cut it out of the finish, unless the clear coat is mega thick.

Even then, if it's also in the base coat, you'll always have a below par finish.

That isn't acceptable! Take it back.

Ford changed there Paint supplier from PPG to a Japanese paint (much cheaper in costs than PPG) in the series 3 AU onwards upto FG so any BA BF FG Series cars will have problems with paint and rust!

This is why its bitten Ford in the arse with recalls of cars with paint and rust issues there made much cheaper for more profit but the profit for ford is in there parts not in a complete car it's where they make there money unfortunately and why where they are now.

That is today's "standard".  Sad, but true.  I remember buying my BA XR6 new, and the paint was shocking. It was Mercury silver and looked like a 4 year old had done it.

I'd take it back to the painter, tell him it's HIS reputation on the line, not Ford's. Word of mouth can make or break any business.

Best of luck.

no they moved to a water based paint, they use either PPG or Dupont can't remember which.

the paint is fantastic when laid one properly, got a few mates who use it and the only product that leaves a better finish of the gun is ceramic.

take it back, make sure it looks perfect when you pick it up.

would not even pick the vehicle up looking like that.

Well I had a win today , went down and spoke to the business owner and he didn't argue at all . Just said they would re do it . They must have known it would be back , any tradesman would know they did a shit job . I guess I'll see how it looks in a couple more weeks