car10001

what is the v8 like on fuel compared to the 6 cyl

hi

just wondered what the 5l 302 v8 is like on fuel compared to the ohc 4l 6 cyl in the e series model

if anyone has a eb/ed v8 like in this youtube video would they be able to answer what theirs was like on fuel

thanks

At a guess (based on my own experience)

V8 town: 15l/100km
V8 h/way: 12l/100km

6cyl town: 12.5l/100km
6cyl h/way: 9.5l/100km

Manuals take off 1l/100km in each instance

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

could you get a cam for the reg 6 cyl to sound close enough to this video

In a word, no. A 6 cyl engine has a layout and firing order completely different from a V8 and one will never sound like the other.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, car10001 said:

could you get a cam for the reg 6 cyl to sound close enough to this video

worn out XG XR6 on lpg... 
close enough?

49 minutes ago, hendrixhc said:

Can you tell me which lifter shim was missing cause thats exactly how i want mine to sound?

cant remember.. 12 options to try.. think it was an intake one though so that narrows it to 6.. and i think it was one of the back 3,.. and not the last one..
so either cyl 4 or 5 inlet.. bobs your unlcle..

The closest you'll ever get a 6cyl to sounding like a V8, is a dual exhaust, on a pre-crossflow or similar 6cyl engine - one which has exhaust ports 3 and 4, siamesed.

I think I've worked out a way to do it on any inline, but don't have an engine to do it on. I don't think anyone's done it yet but would be simple to do, just start with 6-2-1 headers, cut before the 2 go into 1 and separate out into a dual system. This alone would create an unpleasant farty sound like a Commo V6 without a resonator.

Then you swap 2 exhaust runners between each bank, but they need to be next to each other in the firing order. Easiest ones to swap would be 5 & 3 or 2 & 4. So separated out into "banks", a normal 2-branched system would be LRLRLR out the pipes (ie a fartbox). My shonky setup would be LLRLRR, giving a rumbly, uneven firing order per bank, like a V8 has.

Wank factor: 11

FWIW, when I had my ED XR8 Sprint, it was surprisingly good on fuel, best I got on a long run was 9.7L/100km, regular day to day driving was 10.5-11L/100km

My AU V8 ute on the other hand..... 13L/100 is normal

General rule... Add about 2 litres/100km for an EFI V8 no matter what the driving.

Carby cars... My 4 speed wagon got about 12L/100km with the 4.1 Weber, now with the little Clevo, it gets mid teens (seems to vary a lot).

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk