ando76

The Mad Scientist Crossflow

Your not wrong.  This Monza Red one is getting plenty.  Just stitched a whole new drivers side on the old girl.  Thankfully only one more bit of rust to deal with in the driver side sill. Its not behind the guard where they usually go - just back from that - rusted out due to accident damage.

I scored an XH rear bar and heavy duty tow bar for it on Monday arvo for $60.  That will sort the rear end - running out of time to do the bumperette delete so XH rear bar it is.

Hopefully I will get some time later this week to do the cylinder head and get this thing zipped up next week.  Burnouts on Saturday so I might blow Friday and do a bit more on the burnout ute and the MSC. 

Busy week at the shop and a bit of a hangover after the win in the skid ute. Not an alcohol hangover - more of a 'don't really want to work' type hangover.

Got over it and got a customer oil pump done and the oil pump for the MSC.

010515_004.jpg

Two pumps ready for the testing. I really need to design a new system of testing the pumps as at present it is a 2 person job. This means I have to work in with my great mate Alan. Alan runs a very busy one man hydraulics business so its a bit of a mission sometimes. Never mind we got them done this morning. Both tested up really well and will suit their intended applications

020515_002.jpg

That is the testing rig. Gives you a really good appreciation of what force is required to turn these pumps.

There are several advantages to having a custom oil pump built. You know exactly where the pump will relieve and therefore can be assured that it will suit your motor. I have also found that a brand new pump will make a bit of metal when they are first run up. Better to have this metal spit out into the test bench than out through your fresh motor.

010515_005.jpg

Started work on the chamber of the MSC head. The chambers had already had a little touch but I need a few more cc's to lower the compression to around 10.5.

What better way than to make a THOR clone. THOR runs the numbers on the bench so I copied the chamber and started on laying back the inlet and exhaust swirls. I will leave one chamber as is and if time permits I will take it to the flowbench to do a before and after test.

THOR is on the bottom and the MSC on top. The MSC will need facing as it has a bit of damage from when it was used on the burnout car. This will reduce the cc's a bit but it is necessary.

Now that the oil pump is done I can modify a pickup and do a bit more work on the sump and then I can zip up the short motor. Small steps often.

040515_003.jpg

040515_004.jpg

Bit more progress on the MSC. I cleaned up the xc tapered pushrods and a new timing cover from a late model xf. I prefer these because they have more timing graduations. I fitted a new seal - I hate oil leaks...

I also fitted the oil pump and made up a support for the standard pick up. I like to do this because when you have increased capacity and rev them I have seen the brazing crack. Forgot to take a photo of that so I will do it tomorrow. I also checked pick up to sump floor clearance. Another important aspect that should never be overlooked.

Anyway by tomorrow the short should be zipped up and hopefully I can squeeze some time in during the week to finish the head.

Yes it is not a particularly nice job.  I mount the timing cover in the vice (with a set of soft jaws).  Then I use a small bladed punch (about 100mm across) to punch it out from the front side.  You have to basically lay the punch across the opening and jam it into inner edge.  Slow and steady is the go and move around and dent the seal as you go.  Eventually they fall out. You may have a few dags to clean up on the inside after this.  I use some 180 grit wet and dry.

When it comes to installing, put the new seal in the fridge over night and leave the alloy cover out in the sun for the first part of the day.  Grab the seal from the freezer and drop it into the hole.  I then use a flat piece of 10mm plate steel laid flat over the seal and give it a whack with the hammer and in she goes. 

I'm sure there are better ways, but that's how I do it.

Finally

050515_006.jpg

Short motor all zipped up. Checked TDC on the balancer with actual TDC. About 1 degree out so I'll live with that.

Here is a really poor picture of the brace I put on the foot of the pick up to give it a bit more support.

050515_002.jpg

Now I just need to get my finger out and get the head sorted. Getting closer by the day but.

When it comes to installing, put the new seal in the fridge over night and leave the alloy cover out in the sun for the first part of the day.  Grab the seal from the freezer and drop it into the hole.  I then use a flat piece of 10mm plate steel laid flat over the seal and give it a whack with the hammer and in she goes. 

I'm sure there are better ways, but that's how I do it.

2 pieces of 10mm flat,one on the front one on the back with a 1/2" bolt thru the pair.Tighten the bolt... 

Seriously apologise to all for the lack of action in this thread.  I have been stupidly busy trying to screw together a tuff V6 Commodore for Ross, my main competition in the 6 cylinder class.  But this v6 is not for him, its for his daughter.

230515_007.jpg

230515_003.jpg

Heads were pretty ordinary to start with;

200515_004.jpg

Gave them heaps of love

200515_005.jpg

Promise I will get back into the MSC next week.  I have the burette still on the bench from this build so I will CC the heads and see where I am at with the chambers.

Make sure ya wash ya hands before ya touch any Ford parts mate.

Dont want any Cross Commtamination. Lol

Good to see ya still kickin.

Ash's ute is going well thanks to your MSD help.

Hope ya get some time for yourself soon.

Jack.

Thanks men.  Just got back from 9 days in the bush.  No phone service - No screens - nothing.  Just the camp fire, family and friends and of course motorbikes and buggies.

Bloody awesome.  Having the rest of this week off (tville v8s) and then back to work next week.  Need to make some serious progress on this ute and then burnout ute in time for Tropical Meltdown in August.  Busy times ahead as usual.