binary-fuel

Just a reminder to check wheel arch area

My lower ball joints are fucked and I haven't replaced them yet I know how to do it done it many times I just cannot be bothered ATM lol it's not a daily driven car also so fuck all the other bad comments dude do it your self just double check everything you do

^ you're a moron. please take your stupidity else where. risking peoples lives through blatant negligence, good on you. though i am amazed you can double check flogged out ball joints to make sure it'll be sweet to drive.

yeah i noticed the rivets straight away... same as my XC when i first got it. though surprisingly my upper balljoints were in decent condition when they came out, minimal slop, was really surprised at how tight they were actually, not quite as good as new ones but seriously surprised me.

^ you're a moron. please take your stupidity else where. risking peoples lives through blatant negligence, good on you. though i am amazed you can double check flogged out ball joints to make sure it'll be sweet to drive.

yeah i noticed the rivets straight away... same as my XC when i first got it. though surprisingly my upper balljoints were in decent condition when they came out, minimal slop, was really surprised at how tight they were actually, not quite as good as new ones but seriously surprised me.

Only reason I can't be bothered is because it's not being driven and it's being sorted out running wise. When I get the car in running order than I will replace the upper and lower ball joints. There not that fucked the rubber is just falling off still not that much play so they will be sweet as for a while.

Cheers Joel!!

Because of the suspension design, the x-series lower ball joints last forever.

(provided the dust boots stay in one piece)

The uppers usually flog out every 100,000km's or so - as they take all the pushing and pulling suspension loads.

The L/H front upper, (curbside) will often be worse than the R/H front upper.

The inherent design problem, isn't helped one bit, by the chinese pig-iron steering componentry,

which is all that seems to be available these days, for our x-series.

I've NEVER seen a Falcon ball joint fail. Yes they'll be fucked and break open and run dry and have about 20 mil movement but they never let go. You could drive that that for another 10 years and the only problem you will have is a clunky front end, poor steering and unevenly worn tyres. I'd drive around Australia on it no problems. 

i've had to repair two on the side of the road gav, one lower and one upper, plus a few that have come in for repair with the wheel spat out. they're strong but they do fail...

They'd be shit cheap shit Trev. I've had to pick up or repair at least 20 or 30 Holdens on the side of the road in the 35 years I've been fucking with cars, but never seen a Ford one let go. And don't worry, I've swapped out plenty of absolutely rooted ones, but they are never original riveted or 80's/90's TRW units. They've always been the shitpot dodgy Asian crap that only lasts 2 years max. 

nope the two on the side of the road were originals with 200,000+Ks on them, had to knock the rivets off with a chisel, was a fucking nightmare.

the rest you are right were the cheap shit ones we have now, i'm looking everywhere to find a decent set, cannot find anything.

TRW are back apparently. They've stopped using the triple5 name I believe and the stuff I saw in a catalogue (might have been Autobarn?) looked like the ones they used to make in Marrickville in the 80's/90's with the non-greasable urethane insert. 

check ford and get genuine balljoints if still available. last time i did some that's what i used and the prices were comparable with the shit form supercheap.

And FFS stay away from EBAY!!!!!

I hear what your saying that it's unlikely it will fail. and even if it does it's likely to be at low speed in a parking lot when the lateral load is higher. Still, Why would you run with the increased risk of one of your front wheels folding in under the car in the middle of a corner at 100kmh? The likely hood may be low but the consequence could easily be fatal. and the likelihood is a helluva lot less on a decent serviceable steering components.

My XC still runs original lower ball joints and tie roads with 190,000 km on them now and they are nice and tight, the upper ball joints have been replaced. The original stuff is great and i'm going to source a good set of second hand original tie rods for my GXL much better than that Chinese shit they are selling. It surprises me the amount of people who waste money by replacing ball joints and tie rods just because the rubber boot is stuffed when the actual part is still good.

On 5/15/2014 at 6:49 PM, Gaz said:

TRW are back apparently. They've stopped using the triple5 name I believe and the stuff I saw in a catalogue (might have been Autobarn?) looked like the ones they used to make in Marrickville in the 80's/90's with the non-greasable urethane insert. 

TRW are a shadow of their former self. It's just a brand name now.

Sankei 555 were never TRW, but they mirrored the original TRW ball joint design.

Roadsafe used to import the 555 balljoints - BJ94/BJ75 and 555 tie rod ends - TE548/TE549

They stopped that a few yrs ago, sighting a lack of demand.

The 555 componentry has awesome build quality IMO.

I have a small stockpile of it, from before they became impossible to find.

I have tried contacting 555 direct, but they never return any emails.

On 5/16/2014 at 12:47 AM, 'Crazy2287 said:

check ford and get genuine balljoints if still available. last time i did some that's what i used and the prices were comparable with the s*** form supercheap.

And FFS stay away from EBAY!!!!!

The genuine Ford Motorcraft steering parts, aren't much chop either, these days....... nothing like the old TRW componentry.

- they seem to be made for Ford, by a mob called the 'Central Steering Corporation'.

There is a seller on ebay, selling TRW ball joints.......... however, they're the modern day version.

But yes, most of the stuff on ebay, is cheap and nasty.

Austral Distribution, make the 'WASP' brand of steering components.

They seem to be quite reasonable from all appearances. They are greasable, with a castle nut/split pin.

Even the parts Rare Spares carry, are nothing like the original TRW parts.

My XC still runs original lower ball joints and tie roads with 190,000 km on them now and they are nice and tight, the upper ball joints have been replaced. The original stuff is great and i'm going to source a good set of second hand original tie rods for my GXL much better than that Chinese shit they are selling. It surprises me the amount of people who waste money by replacing ball joints and tie rods just because the rubber boot is stuffed when the actual part is still good.

Good point.

These look good if your original parts are still serviceable

T2eC16VHJGkE9no8hREBQq0wJiVdg60_35.jpeg

Anyone used them?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/291145162958?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

go into repco and have a look at part no. TE3 TE4 etc boots, can still get them in rubber brand new, dont know which size suits which though.

agreed, new balljoints are shit, im running pedders, not happy at all with them, im thinking of getting some made up to suit. good thing now you can CNC machine about anything.

a ball joint thread out with the air chisle :D

changing ball jounts is easy last one i let my mates kid do, im not kidding 12yo :D get in have a go it not like there hard

link pins easy to $20 from most parts places

tev your starting to sound like wes :D

Anyone notice, that OP's upper ball joint pic, shows it's still the riveted one?

(ie, original, never been changed)

How many KM's on the XG ute?

500,000ks yeap engine and all is still beating

Only reason I can't be bothered is because it's not being driven and it's being sorted out running wise. When I get the car in running order than I will replace the upper and lower ball joints. There not that fucked the rubber is just falling off still not that much play so they will be sweet as for a while.

Cheers Joel!!

lucky because when I inspected the upper joint it is the worse thing I have ever seen of a car of this age. The weight this car must have had on it (ex tradesmen car) was extreme. When I checked them the first time there was signs of wear but I just wanted it due to the price and infact the engine is perfect and it has served me well. Its in my shed having the engine teared out and a xr6 or 8 cyl being placed in with many upgrades. Big plans, but so little money to do it so may take ages, I am doing the joints myself but with a mechanic looking over me

Being a ute, any extra weight would've been over the back, not the front, so being ex tradesman wouldn't have affected the ball joints.

Yeah that's what I thought until i looked into the tray and found a support post that connects into the front bar mounts. He had mentioned that he carried heavy posts over the bonnet on the passenger side using this post. I just don't see sufficient damage in the back to suggest that the tray had alot of weight in it from when I got it. I have loaded the tray up and thus noticed the ball joint is noisy then inspected to find it had been crushed due to the weight and speed bumps. 

Regardless of the existing hard life shes had, I am replacing much needed parts then considering a xr6 or v8 engine swap and supporting mods to go with it, big breaks, heavy duty supps.