Found some time in between jobs to start on the aforementioned fuel rail.

image.jpg

In order to get the injector holes nicely in a row, I slipped the stainless tubing inside some 30x30x1.6 steel box section. A small tack either end to hold the rail in steady then it was just a case of marking out the injector hole spacing and drilling them.

There is a local fella here that gets flown all around the country to do expert welding and he is going to TIG the injector bosses in. He pre stresses the rail so the heat doesn't bow it. He did a similar thing for the local milk company, just on a much grander scale so I'm sure he will eat this little job. He has asked that the injectors bosses are a size for size, press fit into the rail so bit more mucking around to do. Gotta put the injector bosses in the lathe to make them fit nicer.

All in all lots of mucking around and probably over kill but hey, I enjoy it so why not.

Also got a delivery from the other end of the country. Phillip Island area to Cairns. Thanks goes to EnvyXf for making the bumpers and the Michelle for making the guards. She isn't just the co-owner and book keeper and receptionist. She gets out into the shed and makes the stuff. Lovely to talk to as well and a superbly finished product. Very happy.

image.jpg

The car didn't come with a rear bumper so the fibreglass rear bumper was a no brainer. While I was getting it I thought may as well get a glass front bumper. Then it flowed onto the fibreglass front guards as well. The corty came with a fibreglass bonnet so it sorta makes sense to make the whole front end glass.

Like is said way back, I'll be making this a very light, stripped out race car and I make no apologies for that.

Good work mate, good to see you're still getting heaps done!

It will be interesting to see how well the cortina guards fit, if you need to make any alterations like envyxf had to do to his Falcon guards, even if you do i s'pose it's pretty easy to work with. In addition to the fibreglass bonnet i guess there would be a fair bit of a weight reduction, you should do a comparison of you have the metal panels there.

Good work mate, good to see you're still getting heaps done!

It will be interesting to see how well the cortina guards fit, if you need to make any alterations like envyxf had to do to his Falcon guards, even if you do i s'pose it's pretty easy to work with. In addition to the fibreglass bonnet i guess there would be a fair bit of a weight reduction, you should do a comparison of you have the metal panels there.

It's a significant weight reduction. They actually tell you the weight difference when you inquire with them. There are a couple of things on this car that I will be keeping a secret and the total weight of the car is the major one. Why? Because a bloke has to have some secrets.

It is very gratifying to spend time on your own stuff. Since starting my little business, which has turned into a monster, I very rarely get time for self indulgence. I'd love to have this engine and the shop ute completed, mainly to prove I'm not a flog like a certain x flow guru from WA, but also to inform you of the results of my testing. But I just have to grab the time I can and update you fellas as I go.

So today I went off to the lathe and put the PROFLOW injector bosses into the lathe. If you look closely in the photo you will see the o-ring recess in the front one. They are a multi use boss. I didn't need/ want the o'ring so I had to modify it, and it gave me a nice press in fit.

image.jpg

I also wanted to make sure I gave the TIG welder the easiest and neatest way he could weld them in.

image.jpg

Spent a silly amount of time working out the position of the return (to reg) fitting to ensure it was centred and sat nice with the rail in the final position. Notched the stainless so old mate would get a nice weld.

After all that I may end up changing the return to a pre made 316 socket.... Hmmmm see why modified stuff takes time....

Looks sweet Ando...

Cheers mate. Still a way to go on it, but once it's done I'm sure it will look ace and function even better. It's got a big job to do, feeding this thing.

One last fuel rail shot, I promise, well until it's all tigged up and fitted anyway.

image.jpg

This shot shows the work I put into notching the return fitting and also how the injector bosses fitted into the rail. I'm confident old mate should be able to get a nice weld around the boss and being a press in fit it should limit the amount the rail bends when welded.

There you go Crazy2287image.jpg

Stainless steel fuel rail ends.

Hey Ando, it's all looking good. Just one little thing to watch out for when you're tig welding. See the dimple on the finishing points of the welds? It looks like they might be sealed, sometimes you can get the tiniest little pin hole in these and they can leak. If using a high frequency trigger start tig they usually have a ramp down function to gradually lower the amps as you finish the weld back to the surface to cool it slower and avoid pin holes. Or if you only have a low frequency, scratch start machine you finish the weld by dragging the arc off to the side quickly which doesn't look as nice but it does stop pin holes. Being the thorough kind of guy you are, I'm sure you you'll give it all a leak test before installing. Not trying to be a nit picking smart arse either mate.

Nah all good. I actually noticed that. I don't have a TIG because I don't have the patience. At least I'm honest. These were done for me by a mate who is just getting back into TIG welding.

I'll show Ron at Hanby welding (he is the gun pressure welder) and get him to sort it when the whole rail goes to him next week. Ron is actually a pretty cool guy. He has a Suzuki mighty boy with a bombed up engine in it. Hand made ITBs and injection and run by a vipec computer. It's stupid fast for a work ute. Just how I like it.

Bit more fuel rail spam. I had to make some way of retaining the fuel rail. After looking how Jenvey do their rails in came up with this idea.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Made them out of 3mm stainless. Used my hydraulic hole punch to create the half moon. After a bit of shaping I had this,

image.jpg

Excuse the gold bunnings bolts. They are just there for dummy assembly and will be replaced by some nice button head cap screws.

So the idea is the half moons get TIG welded to the injector bosses. That way each injector is supported. I'm sure it will,be strong enough to take the weight of the rail and fittings. The injector was 3.2mm thick at the point where the half moon gets welded so there should be no distortion. 6x 6mm bolts into where Jenvey put the rail supports should be way strong enough.

But always it's the little details are the ones that cause you drama. When Pat from Competition Systems supplied the ITB's 2 were identical and the other one was similar. The odd one out was the old version, but they were all supposed to be the same in regards to injector position etc etc. I did contact Pat when they arrived and he said it wouldn't be a problem.

Well maybe if you used the Jenvey rail as it has a flexible coupling. Because as it turns out the injector position is slightly (3-4mm) different. You can sort of see it in these photos.

image.jpg

image.jpg

You can see the extra thickness of the older version at the mounting flange and just see that the first 2 injectors are slightly out of alignment. I took the rail to the TIG fella anyway just to see what would happen once the injector bosses were all welded in, but it's a no go. He got the bosses welded in with zero warping and the bosses just don't go on enough to be 100% seated.

I rang Competition Systems and Pat was excellent. Acknowledge the problem and sent a replacement ITB the same day. That's customer service. It should get here next week, but I'm off to the States for a holiday so I'm going to have to wait till I return. Oh well.

And I seem to have developed an AN fitting addiction.

image.jpg

Got some bulkhead fittings and nice billet clamps to tidy the fuel lines. I sorta want the engine bay in this thing to be really nice and functional and look pretty. Bit of a nod to what I do.

Well at this point it's just a whole heap of parts and theory. It will have to prove itself. There are some bloody good crossflows out there with some serious runs on the board. Yes I've put some serious time in making sure each part of the package is as best as it can be. I hope that translates to success. If not it will sure look good trying!