Server maintenance Read more... ×
gerg

The Gerg-O-Chamber

Ok, so people that know me also know that I excell at ghetto style, no-cost mods and seeing as exhaust shops want you to cough up pretty much the value of your car just to put a system on it, I have refused to pay anyone that kind of money, and instead have endeavoured to create my own using bits of crap I've accumulated over time.

This extends to even making my own mufflers.

I started with four BA Falcon cats that were saved from the scrap bin. I cut them at the start of the taper, 2 on the offset side and 2 on the straight side. More on why I did this later. I gutted the bricks out of them so they are hollow casings.

Here's one:

cf3ee5402640fceb59bbad46bed95764.jpg

I cut up some 2.5mm gal sheet, bent them into chevron-shaped baffles big and small not unlike those inside a Flowmaster 44-series.

I welded them in so that there are 4 in each muffler, staggered so it goes big, small, big, small. Finally, I took one of the straight tapers (or nipples I guess) and welded it inside so it sits near the exit from the muffler so as to make an internal chamber after the baffles.

I'm basically making a copy (in principle) of a Flowmaster.

Here's a baffle:

4a42e885e37dd5ad5d5a6c4084b50cb9.jpg

Sitting in place:

d83d4d76a7e5d7b87f308000220006e3.jpg

I'll try and draw a diagram when I can get my hands on a PC.

In our current economy why not make your own, esp if you have the means and skill.

We live in a throw away society, so I'm all for what you are doing, recycling and saving some coin.

Excellent work. Let's see more awesome cost effective and recycling mods.

A local guy who use to make mufflers and pipes for ALOT of the V8 supercar teams did his own design that was 2 diamonds nose to tail internally. How or why it worked I don't know but no one ever complained about how this sounded and he won the title and many poles so it didn't hinder poke either.  

There's merit in your plans ideas Gerg.A little vid of the sound when done would be cool.

A local guy who use to make mufflers and pipes for ALOT of the V8 supercar teams did his own design that was 2 diamonds nose to tail internally. How or why it worked I don't know but no one ever complained about how this sounded and he won the title and many poles so it didn't hinder poke either.  

There's merit in your plans ideas Gerg.A little vid of the sound when done would be cool.

I want that car!!!

I'll grab a vid of the current shitty system that although sounds good is a 2-1/4" with crimp bends and crap Berklee turbo mufflers and is more than 30 years old. Then I'll do an after vid with these new contraptions with 2-1/2" pipes.

Now I'm a bit nervous.... with all this interest in the project I'm afraid of them sounding crap (which they may well do)

Have a laugh at the smoky startup... This is why I want to do up the heads.

Please ignore the shit animal barking. I want to strangle that fucking thing so bad...

And why is it always the left bank? LOL!

Yeah I just topped up the oil and probably leaked a shitload down the guides when sitting there draining down

Wonder what it will sound like at 100ks. Not not bad though once the smoke clears and see the backend Lol.

Hope that dog don't do that with every noise day in day out

Wonder what it will sound like at 100ks. Not not bad though once the smoke clears and see the backend Lol.

Hope that dog don't do that with every noise day in day out

It's pretty sedate at all speeds, but you definitely know it's a V8.

Just to clarify, this is the "before" clip, with the shitty mufflers and 2-1/4" crimp bend pipes.

The dog is a neurotic twat. I really hope, for my neighbours' sake, it doesn't bark like that all the time.

Ah right. Well look foward to see results.

Yep if the neighbour dosent start discipline dog now it will be at it with a lawn mower starting up. Not the dogs fault either but owners.

Ah right. Well look foward to see results.

Yep if the neighbour dosent start discipline dog now it will be at it with a lawn mower starting up. Not the dogs fault either but owners.

Lol it's our dog...

And no matter what you do, it won't shut the fuck up. Hence the negative opinion of it.

Got the muffler bodies welded up and installed, decided to add some volume to the centre section of each by welding in a strip between the two halves. Made the mistake of using gal steel and first one welded up like shit. Second one I got the shits and just oxy'd it all up, a bit neater this time round. Yes I did try and grind off the zinc first, but it was still crap.

I still need to build the rear section so for now I just have them dumping at the diff. It's pretty loud.

6efa9a66e01518d74e95efc77f7581c7.jpg

Got some BA resonators up front now, hope that will kill some of the boom.

166ed5853a9a264f2e56af38bca5f497.jpg

Going to 2-1/4" for the last foot or so to mellow it a bit more.