ando76

The Mad Scientist Crossflow

Yep - with Aussiespeed making the blower manifolds and stuff to bolt them on I had to be part of the action.  I know many have done this conversion themselves.  I want to see for myself how easy it is with the Aussiespeed components. 

The old crow camshaft I have, used to have in its blurb that it was suited to supercharged or nitrous applications.  Not real sure about that given the lobe sep but hey why not.

I want the ute to tow the skid car and what better way to get good low down grunt than a low mount supercharger.  I have a good open chamber head here with mild porting so I will use it and a set of old 235d springs from the race car.  With a suck thru 600dp and manual shift it should be a fun shop ute.

Wonder if it will turn the tyres with the trailer attached?

I would have thought the m90 to small for a performance application but for towing it should be pretty good. Should given plenty of low down go and by the time the blower is running out of puff the cam would be near finished anyway. Look forward to seeing what it comes out like.

What exhaust manifold you thinking Ando? You want me to make up a few lobster back templates

Yeah the little holden blower will run out of puff pretty quickly.  This is not an all out performance mod - more a mod to suit the (towing) purpose.  The camshaft should be able to carry the engine after the blower has run out - well enough for what I want. 

No exhaust manifold required bud.  Just a big set of pipes to get rid of the gas and I have that sorted. 

No exhaust manifold required bud.  Just a big set of pipes to get rid of the gas and I have that sorted. 

Was wondering more along the lines of big bore pacemaker primaries or custom made primary size to suit fast exhaust gas removal to suit blower, hence the lobster back offer.

Yep got a big set of paceys here to put onto it plus a couple of other options.  gotta get the bad stuff out.  This is not about all out performance to be honest.  it is more about the wow factor of having an old school suck thru blown shop ute.  More the looks and the noise than outright power hunt.  If you get my drift...

Yes it would be it is unobtainable up here atm.  I'll just run 10% methanol in 98 RON.  If I keep the tune fat it should be fine.  we are not talking about 20lb of boost here.  More like 7. 

Spoke to Mark and a lot of the stuff is ready to go.  Just the hard bits like blower snout length, which balancer to run - what pulleys to match and all those little bits and pieces that go into making a commercial product. 

I will be getting the manifold and carb adapter in the coming week - just so I can mock it up in the bay. 

I don't have the privilege of E85 anywhere near me either. Was more just wondering as I know standard they are around 7psi and with a simple pulley change it's 10psi odd, which is still not a great deal. The idea behind intake temps was if the car is used as a tow vehicle it would essentially be under load constantly when towing and in queensland and more so north queensland a bit of extra cooling would go a long way.

Guess I'm just thinking a head as I know my wagon will fall to pieces in under 5 years (christ I hope it makes it that long at the rate it's going) and am looking at something that can easily tow, but since I have 5 crossflows in various conditions it makes sense to continue down that path if possible.

Plus I would love to be rocking a blown crossflow towing a roller cammed crossflow racecar, yes I know it's a sickness and a have come down bad with it :D See what you bastards have got me into :lol: 

Booval

203 - 209 Brisbane Road
Booval QLD 4304

This United has the E85 juice :) not far from QR either hehe

Really?? Last I knew that servo had 100 but didn't know they had E85. I did a search only a month or so ago for E85 and nothing came up. I am surprised a little TBH with all the tracks at the motorsport precinct that there isn't more E85 in the area.

Yeah wagon it would be nice to keep the intake temps down a bit so 10% methanol in the fuel will look after it.  If it doesn't i'll just make a water methanol injector. 

The beauty of this set up is the s/c is not sitting in the valley getting massive amounts of heat soak.  It is mounted on an alloy plenum (which sees airflow) and away from the hot side of the engine.  The 90 degree elbow places the carb as far away from the hot side as possible and it is also in the airflow path.  All these little things should add up.

I'm a bit sad that I never got to test this little hydraulic in aspo form with the good cylinder head and comp but oh well, life goes on.  I'm stupid busy at work now - unlike when I started this idea - so I guess things just suffer. 

Oh and did someone say e85 roller cammed xe sedan being driven to work on Friday's to fuel up for the weekends activities - oh yeah.

260815_002.jpg

260815_004.jpg

Halfway there on the new open chamber head. Of course once again using left over parts - This time some ISKY 235ds that served on the race car for 4 seasons. They lost a bit of seat pressure (5 lb) in that time but they are perfect for this little .540" lift hydraulic cam. Plenty of nose pressure to help with boost.

280815_001.jpg

Cylinder head all done and cc'd. I now have 9.5:1 compression. Its is right up there for boost but there is a bit of overlap in the camshaft so it will be fine with low (7psi) boost and a good tune.

310815_002.jpg

Bit of bling - yella terra platinum non-adjustables. All set up for nice preload on the lifters.

310815_003.jpg

And fitted up with the Aussiespeed 2 barrel manifold - WHY - well there is a bit more R&D to do on the blower kits to ensure their reliability. I am cool with that as there is more than what meets the eyes when you start to develop a commercial product. It has to work and work well - bit different if you are just doing it for yourself.

Good news is that this puts us back to plan A. The MSC will go through various 2 barrel carb combinations and then four barrel with the results documented in the thread. Really keen to hear this thing live.

Talking about injecting e85 in a post up further, I thought I would show you what I have been working on lately.

It's a 10lt alloy fuel cell (a bit of overkill) an 044 pump, 1/4" hard plastic line to the front and a water/methanol jet tapped into the ls1 throttle body. I was going to use a Hobbs pressure switch to activate the pump, but my mate and I have worked out we can trigger the pump from the Delco ecu.

It's a work in progress and not finished yet.

post-287-0-06173300-1442438955_thumb.jpg

post-287-0-27350000-1442438969_thumb.jpg

Nice setup, open to lots of possibilities too. You could step the delivery using multiple Hobbs switches set at different pressures, and using a combo of resistors and relays, run the pump at varying speeds up to max.

Some old Toyota Supras use a setup like this (two speed) but on the main fuel pump.