mcfly94

What creates a rough ride?

Im trying to soften up my suspension as its to harsh for bumps and everyday driving.

I have full nolathane through the front, all new control bushes, sway bar, ball joints, radius rod.

20mm Shock tower spacers and bump stops shortened 25mm.

Shortened shocks, which I plan on replacing with koni red adjustables. Will they give me a nice ride?
I also have superlow kings in the front, so im actually thinkning about raising the car up a bit.

I also run 205/65 15 tyres.

What else can cause such a rough ride?

60+ tyres and some low springs will fix it. These cars don't like being lowered or jacked up excessively because the camber bolt has very little adjustment to compensate for the unequal arm length.

60+ tyres and some low springs will fix it. These cars don't like being lowered or jacked up excessively because the camber bolt has very little adjustment to compensate for the unequal arm length.

well ive already got 65's :), reason I ditched the 222/50 ftrs.

Im really thinking the poor quality no name shocks have something to do with it also

little suspensions travel will make the ride rougher,also rough roads will too.If you want a smooth ride,then stock suspension will do.What your chasing is suspension travel.

little suspensions travel will make the ride rougher,also rough roads will too.If you want a smooth ride,then stock suspension will do.What your chasing is suspension travel.

I have 70mm travel on the rear and about 25/30mm front.

Honestly i would go rubber/genuine bushes.

do they really make that much of a difference over nolathane?, as they have tightened the feel and the car is more responsive and hardly sloppy and I haven't even changed my stuffed steering box yet.

Do spring saddles make a difference, mine are the factory ones?

no spring saddles only insulate the diff from the springs anf yes rubber is much better then nolathane ,and there is a marked difference between them with rubber you get give with nolathane you might as well be using brass bushes,

Yep, what Rev said. Nolathene will last 4 times longer, but, with that strength you get harshness. Use Nolathene on the hardest wearing parts, like sway bar links.

As you've stated, your car is now firm and corners on rails, but, all the screws will fall out of your dash in 12 months. . . . . :D

(King springs are 15% firmer than standard springs, no matter what height)

Yep, what Rev said. Nolathene will last 4 times longer, but, with that strength you get harshness. Use Nolathene on the hardest wearing parts, like sway bar links.

As you've stated, your car is now firm and corners on rails, but, all the screws will fall out of your dash in 12 months. . . . . :D

(King springs are 15% firmer than standard springs, no matter what height)

haha I have actually needed to tighten things down a lot tighter!

Spring are for ride height,shocks are for ride control in basic terms,so by getting softer but progressive rate springs for it and a firmer rate shock the ride will improve and it will handle better to boot.

do they really make that much of a difference over nolathane?, as they have tightened the feel and the car is more responsive and hardly sloppy and I haven't even changed my stuffed steering box yet.

Do spring saddles make a difference, mine are the factory ones?

Yes, having the nolathane will make the car feel tight, will turn into corners a bit better thus improving your steering but... the nolathane is hard as, not like rubber where it is softer so gives a more cushioning effect. The spring saddles are fine. Unless your's are flogged out no need to replace. Nolathane spring saddles are like $150 a pair give or take standard jobbies are half that price and some come with a grease nipple ;)

Sway bar mounts keep in nolathane, idler arm in nolathane,

The radius rod bushes id change back, and id replace the shortend shocks you have for a standard pair in ultima, or pedders.

I have 2 x falcons one has Kings and the other has Pedders. My falcon with pedders is far better than kings so perhaps a future spring change aswell for you?

you cant have good cornering/steering and a good ride over bumps, theyre polar opposites. just pick one and live with the pro's an con's. and superpro is better than nolothane IMO.

you cant have good cornering/steering and a good ride over bumps, theyre polar opposites. just pick one and live with the pro's an con's. and superpro is better than nolothane IMO.

not necessarily - only if you're referring to cheap suspension.

1. ensure the car is not hitting the bumpstops. raise on 'low' springs not superlows. superlows arent stiff enough to compensate for lowered ride height

2. shock absorber tuning. with good adjustable shocks, you can adjust the shock stiffness, depending on specific driving condition. bigger piston diameters can also get better control, without butchering the ride quality. name of the game is controlling high speed rebound / compression.

3. vibration + harshness from the bushing. blame nolathane. replace with std rubber.

4. wheel + tyre weight. heavier wheels have more momentum, therefore will work your suspension harder.

not necessarily - only if you're referring to cheap suspension.

1. ensure the car is not hitting the bumpstops. raise on 'low' springs not superlows. superlows arent stiff enough to compensate for lowered ride height

2. shock absorber tuning. with good adjustable shocks, you can adjust the shock stiffness, depending on specific driving condition. bigger piston diameters can also get better control, without butchering the ride quality. name of the game is controlling high speed rebound / compression.

3. vibration + harshness from the bushing. blame nolathane. replace with std rubber.

4. wheel + tyre weight. heavier wheels have more momentum, therefore will work your suspension harder.

Yes i agree with that, although in my experience you either have lowered suspension which corners awesome and rides like shit over bumps/shit roads or standard height suspension which corners like a boat almost but floats over the potholes like a cloud.

Everyone rushes to nolathane. There's the problem. I sit all my cars on lower than ultra lows, good shocks and rubber bushes and never have ride discomfort. Might be a different story when I get the 20's going but we'll see.