Ando81

Cracked piston?

That mark on the piston is from putting the ring on incorrect,it was put on by hand and slid around the rim and the sharp end has cut the top of the piston as it goes over the piston then into its grove,i have seen this so many times on engines.

Yep. me too.  And ring expanders are SO expensive...................not.!

Yeah I hear the price on sex toys is going up.

What's your cyl head like ? Have you measured the chambers ? You could end up with WAAAAAAAAAAAY to much comp on too small a camshaft and have nothing but a rattle tin. Compression HAS to match engine components and use which means measuring needs to be done not guess work. If it's been decked the block or head that is it WILL have a effect on compression.   

The bloke at the machine shop is going to double check it all for me. He's done quite a few warm crossies for speedway blokes and seems to know his shit. From what you're saying, I now understand why he insisted he looked at my cylinder head and cam specs before he would put the pistons in for me. He must be going to cc the chambers in the head before he makes a ticking time bomb. Thanks for the handy tip mate

It's not hard for you to do bro,if I can do it any one can.You need a syringe with cc gradients and a CD cover or flat perpex to cover a chamber. Small hole in 1 corner then lite smear of assembly grease or vaso around chamber to create seal,add fluid be it trans fluid or water and measure when it's full. apply the math and there's your chamber size.Add your 40th head gasket and your piston dish,bore size and your set.

It's math but easy enough to do.

your current RA4103X .040 pistons has a 28cc dish. 3.72" bore, 3.91" stroke, gasket bore 3.75" x 0.041", Head ??cc, new piston ??cc

Hypertec do a 20.5cc, acl made 4102 & 4105 is 15cc,

https://www.uempistons.com/index.php?main_page=calculators&type=comp&zenid=794fcc0c0ddca582949a420331659388

So I put in the figures into a calculator and with a 50 cc E2 head it said my compression ratio with flat top Pistons would be 11.5:1 Does that sound about right and would it be ok for a 208@50 cam with 110 degree lobe separation?

Get it up about the 230@50 and it will love that Comp. Me - I don't mind a dish piston at all. I'd rather have a dish piston and zero deck height than a flat top .030 or more down from the deck. Dish helps with squish, especially with the open chamber of the E2 head. But each to their own.

I dont think your sums are wrong. My head is 42cc combustion chamber and piston is 29cc with a bit of work so not exactly sure on cc, but it hasnt been skimmed a lot. I was told my comp is 10.3-10.5 by my machinist.