unfamilia

e series v8 into xd

Just curious as to how hard to put a 302 e series 5lt into an xd. Want it on carb. Seems a cheaper option than a cleaveland etc.

also what trans will bolt up? Engine plates to chasis and inlet manifold etc.

Do they need engineering or just update engine number

You sure it's cheaper ??  Any car from XA to XE, including Fairlane and LTD with a Clevo will fit. Diff, Trans and 351/302 will bolt straight in.

(LTD and Fairlane have a longer tailshaft, they used the station wagon wheel base platform.)

Buy an old XB or ZG with complete running gear and a Fooked body.

Having said all that, I've seen an XD with a 302W in  it, sounded cool !! B)  ReVhEaD has done the 5 litre conversion, I believe. That right Pete.??

Thats the issue finding a stuffed car at cheap price. I junked the idea but figured if I stumble across a later model 5lt that can be run on carb in the xd on my country travels id snap it up. Seems more eb etc 5lt cars out there now than xd zh etc.

I think your right the Unfamilia. There is heaps of 90s Fairlanes dirt cheap online. Currently im think EFI winsdor in the ZL. I know for your XD you will need V8 engine mounts from I think XA through XE from my reading that will bolt up to the Windsor. Not sure what tranny to run with though.

I have an efi 302 in my zk. engine had to brought forward 40mm as the aircon comp was hitting the strut tower. btr will fit with a small amount of mods to the crossmember. I have an engine and trans from an ED XR8, tailshaft is NC, diff is EF XR6, with ED brakes, lmao.

I do, its over on xfalcon. Ill locate it and put up a link.

also, how does one upload a pic to your profile? im trying, but its not working

I have the au series in my xd.

Easy to convert to carb, its whether its legal where you are etc, in NZ its easy.

Do you intend to run power steer a/c?

I used srd Cleveland mounts, block is same 6 bolt as Cleveland.

I'll add more later, stuck in traffic atm.

will not be easier/cheaper than dropping a clevo in.... plus will need engineering depending on your state. and you will need to comply with the emission laws of the engine if its later than the cars build date.

plus weak block, limited to 6500rpm (safely, can go higher, i spun mine to 7200 a few times wouldn't reccomend it though)

clevelands are everywhere. less hassle. and a better engine.

Its no harder than clevo, performance parts are easily found, esp out of the states and generally cheaper over a clevo.

They are physically smaller in the engine bay making it easy to drop in with or without headers.

6500 is a few revs, and the 302w would have stopped making power standard anyway, being a roller cam is super reliable.

I wouldn't say clevos are better engine overall, they have their own issue's.

Im in vic and ive helped my mate who did a conversion into my old 1200.

He welded x member and tunnel and car was engineered.

Id love a 302 clevo but people seem to charge premiums for old v8's.

so a bolt in conversion is doable my self mig or arc welding as long not structual im ok with (not pretty always but strong).

Im dreaming but realistically a 2nd hand stock or mild cam 302 with a colomn shift auto for under 1k which I just need to bolt into my wagon would be sweet. Rad alt carb etc included would be a bonus.a whole xd or e with running engine but rusted out would be mine and every other persons wish.

I can weld an exhaust if have too as well.

Its not a daily just a club permit car so fuel economy isnt a great concern. Just a bit reliable to occasion tow with or take camping.

Never having had a v8 is my only reason for it. Ive had almost every Other engine in cars except v8 or rotor. Never wanted a rotor.

There is no welding required.

A Windsor uses the same mounting positions as a Cleveland, you can bolt up any gearbox, c4, top loader, single rail etc.

late model 5.0 use 50oz external balance, so have to be sure if requiring flywheel or flexplate etc.

Any 302w intake will fit, best bang for buck is a dual plane, ignition can be any drop in dizzy, but if going to a billet core after market cam, you would need a specific hardened gear.

Also if not using the factory e or a series front dress, you need an early water pump set up as the late motors run a reverse rotation pump due to the belts.

Stock for stock the later au series 302 will run rings round a old 302c.

Where does a engine out of an AU for example fit into Vic roads rules for modication? Since its technically not the engine that came out orginally and there seems to be some structural changes to fit. Yet seems the most common mod done to x-series cars. My understanding that it would need a VASS certificate then. Then the cost using a 302w or 4.0L would be similar would it, when it came to Vic roads then?   

In NSW, any structural change would need certification, but fitment of any engine not originally fitted by the vehicle's manufacturer would also need it. If you read VSB14 , engine section, it states that any engine fitted that has 120% of the power of the original engine fitted will need certification.

I fitted an EB 5L to my XG, kept it column shift auto as i have 2 kids that like to go cruising. all the wiring is from the same car i got the motor and box from, which i obviously had to modify, that would have been the most time consuming part. 

It has a Northern Territory modification certificate, where i originally started building it, then i moved to Qld and got a modifiaction plate, was only $95 for the plate and the engineer drove to my house to do it!!!

I have an efi 302 in my zk. engine had to brought forward 40mm as the aircon comp was hitting the strut tower. btr will fit with a small amount of mods to the crossmember. I have an engine and trans from an ED XR8, tailshaft is NC, diff is EF XR6, with ED brakes, lmao.

I am not sure on the differences with the xd to xb to zk

But the efi 302w i have in my Xb fits without moving the engine 

Not sure if xd is the same ?