Stevemack

XB Log motor rebuild tips

I have a really clean XB Fairmont 6 cyl that I'm starting to get some bits together for a rebuild.  I'm going to leave the 6 in there as i have a few others with 8's.  But i want more oomph than a standard 6 but not so it's grumpy to drive.  I have seen some 2V heads etc around, but they want big $$$.  Has anyone done any work to a standard head with good results and perhaps used a redline manifold or similar, cam profiles etc.  carby selection?   There will be a build thread when it happens in the hopefully not to distant future.

I machined the carb flange off and made an adaptor plate to bolt a 500 holley on a standard head on mates 221, it worked brilliantly untill he decided to put it on gas, then it was like every other dual fuel car and didnt run right on eithee fuel

Mate,!! You would have to be an ol fart to even remember the log motor.  (No offence, thom)  Don't reckon there would be too much around for them anymore.  Pretty sure Cain or Redline or Lynx used to do manifolds, but' you'd have to get a second hand unit of fleabay.  Any reputable head job shop should be able to machine yours out to increase power/flow.  More air in, more air out, more power. Speak to Crane Cams or similar, and explain the type of cam you need, they can grind one to suit. Steady idle, lumpy, good top end, low down grunt so on....

Maybe get in touch with local Ford car club?  Just a few ideas, can't wait to see what you find, Watching with interest. :D

Offenhauser made these old things.

Ford6manifold.png

I machined the carb flange off and made an adaptor plate to bolt a 500 holley on a standard head on mates 221, it worked brilliantly untill he decided to put it on gas, then it was like every other dual fuel car and didnt run right on eithee fuel

The yanks never had the highly regarded 2V setup that Ford Aus developed, and in their Inline 6 circles, treat a 2V head like gold, hence the asking price these days. Otherwise, with the stock integral type head, they had to improvise with this very setup you've described. A big improvement but still has some tight turns into the cylinders from the pissy manifold.

I read once (from Kevin Bartlett I believe) that back in the day, people used to mill off the manifold completely from the head, leaving the bare ports open. They would then port out the inlets and then press in some tubes to weld to their own manifold, or weld on some Weber flanges. Even injection was fitted sometimes. These engines were popular in race boats too.

One thing to watch out for if you do find a 2v head is cracks, they are pretty notorious for it (i had heard a whisper chi was tooling up to make aluminium 2v heads to be sold in the usa only, but that was about two years ago and never heard anything else about it)

Haha they even went to the trouble of importing cross-flow blocks and heads from here (There's a small but dedicated group of 6 cyl fans over there).

Same goes for 2V Aussie Clevo closed chamber heads: they used to import them before the aftermarket was geared up for the Clevo.

Sorry boys, going to stay with the ol log! :)  I reckon that next to a clevo, they have to be one of the most reliable engines ever built.  I don't mind the idea of milling the inlet off altogether and making my own.    Definitely has merit.   This car is going to be a super clean family cruiser, by the way has anyone got a good RR quarter?  When i said it's clean, it is really aside from a bad quarter graft a decade or two ago!  Lol.  

Hey Check out a website called Classic Inlines in the US lots of usefull Info there.

They have been doing an Alloy Head for the Pre-crossflow for a while. They were originally cast and machined here in Aus but are now

made in the states. Also Modify Log heads to gain Performance

Cheers

log engines are landfill :P

no power heads are puss and there landfill i said that twice for a reason 

it will push a falcon leave it and learn to be slow. they are not worth wasting coin on gaskets paint and drive for as long as it will go for 

i used to kick around with a guy that had a 250 2V with all the bells on it in a little corty my $2 crossy would blow it senceless

I would fit a 2V head, Holley, cam, electronic dizzy and extractors. Is the car manual or auto? If it is auto i would do a manual conversion to get a bit more go. If  you stick a t5 behind the log motor and 3:45 diff gears it should get it moving alright and you can make it look like it is just a stock 4 speed from the inside. By the way got any pics of the car :) ?

Pics when I dig it out of the back of the shed! It's an auto, going to leave it that way for the moment, it's only a cruiser. Hmmm I was going to leave the log so that it looked original at least, but still not sure about a crossy either. Decisions decisions.

I had a td Corty rally pack in the eighties. Engine had a slight cam in it, a top loader a twin system. Carb was original. Went like the clappers and sounded awesome. I know it's a lighter car but I agree with 78gxl's suggestion. Long live the logs !

Cheers - Steve

I drive around in a TD with a loggy, as a daily. POS IMO .

Engine isnt really tired. done a few ks . but it really doesnt like unleaded fuel, i have fitted an electronic dizzy. which made a good difference. 

I have tuned it so that it idles properly and runs well, untill i sit in traffic for a bit or drive it around on a 25+ degree day , it just pings on WOT even though i run 98

or i can pull timing so it wont idle properly , but doesnt ping. 

I am gearing up to put an OHC motor in it .. 100x better imo.. can run on 91, and has about double the power, from standard