Sign in to follow this  
PRO250

how much boost can you push into a cast piston

hey guys

im back into the new motor for my ghia and this engine was allready built for somthing else it had 21cc ACLs in it i worked out my comp and its to high for the 16 psi i now run so i did think id just sell it but its a good motor still brand new and i only hae to change the pistons for it do to what i want it to  

so leads me to ask how much boost will a cast slug hold before it fails im just looking at a ball park

these are cheap and will fit straight into my motor what you guys think? or ACL 28cc slugs?

If your tune is good you should be fine with 17psi or maybe more depending how fast are you revving it to. but just saying "cast" pistons is pretty broad. there are heaps of makes of metals out there and heaps of discrepancies between designs. thick ring lands, weight.

a decent cast hypereutectic alloy one will keep you out of trouble for pretty big boost and normal revs but i doubt you'll get away with a full set for just $100

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypereutectic_piston

i know waht your saying about not all alloys being the same but there cheap and you get what you pay for. if craps itself on me i can they they where not very strong. i dont push it very hard ive only done 1 big power skid in the ghia and only cause the gearbox guy said i shoud try :D it was fun bit i have cars that are just to thrash senseless

my new cam should work to 6000 but i doubt ill push it that hard, there is just no need

those piston are just surplus stock yes there cheap and i like that, as do most. they look very bulky so should hold up if not they will die, but the dead stock 270.000 old pistons i have now are holding up i doubt these will fail it the getting greedy bit that will kill it i think LOL the old just a few more PSI and bang! :D

i remember my first ever  tough solid crossy. i had the head but i needed flat top pistons cause of the open chamber head i got these nasty looking slugs cause it was not easy to find good flat tops i pushed that engine past 6500 for years and it never killed a piston but it snaped a good valve one day and put big dents in my nasty cheap pistons  :(

off to the shed to look at a set of 28cc ACLs and see if they look any stronger ill drop one and see HAHA

part number on pistons I googled

Precision International,

http://www.precisionintl.com/Part.aspx?ID=39719&EID=885

I brought a few parts off them a couple of weeks ago for my XF

Hypertec pistons, hastings moly rings, cam bearings,rollmaster timing gears/chain, ARP rod bolts.$555.35 w/freight.

ordered monday at my door wednesday,

i just built a 383 , stroker for my nephews boat ,and used,cast pistons no boost,but when i build my 302w with the twin turbos ,i was going to go forged ,really if you spend a little extra on the pistons then you can rest assured that no matter the boost youve got the right piston for the job ,

i mean why spend big bucks on rebuilding your motor ,only fit el cheapo piston,s do it once ,do it right,

Can see both sides, it's all up to the individual. Really easy to get carried away, especially when working with boost. If you go in blind your probably going to fk something.. twice... Thrice.

If you just want it to do the work and are not interested in how it gets there. You should pull your wallet out and take it to a reputable shop.

But if your happy to spend hours on research and have enough self control to NOT wind it straight up to 30 pounds and put ya foot down, it might take you a while buy you will eventually get there. It may cost you more in the end and will definitely take longer but you can walk away with your own experience.

Gareth with that silver xf has Jason old hemi roded crosflow . It just had acl duralights I'm pretty sure . Geds XE has cast pistons . Igors zl has cast pistons . Um IMO 300rwk is an achievable and reliable limit for cast pistons. If your tune is good .

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2

Gaz sold it all bro...but in all honesty its the old how long is a piece of string? 1 engine will take 25psi and next only 8psi and alot based on tune but other things like chamber design and compression ratio come into it aswell as lower comp means you can push more boost in.Good tune regardless of who does it where and it will be safe, bad tune and it will die.

Gaz sold it all bro...but in all honesty its the old how long is a piece of string? 1 engine will take 25psi and next only 8psi and alot based on tune but other things like chamber design and compression ratio come into it aswell as lower comp means you can push more boost in.Good tune regardless of who does it where and it will be safe, bad tune and it will die.

Haha there you go. And that's it there is so many factors . Tuneing being one of the bigger . Setting limits. Don't go crazy boosting it up straight away. Baby steps .

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2

Haha there you go. And that's it there is so many factors . Tuneing being one of the bigger . Setting limits. Don't go crazy boosting it up straight away. Baby steps . Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2

Your on it there sneak up on it adjust as you go and it will be fine.