Jiminy Kriket

BBM on a crossy

Hey guys. Next project on my list involves making an el injection system work on my crossy. 

Just wondering which intake would be better to run, the standard XF bunch of banannas or the EL BBM?

Modification isn't going to be a problem, it's sort of my job, more interested in which one is going to suit a daily driven car more.

This will be my first venture into diy injection as well, so more stupid questions are going to come along.

This will be my first venture into diy injection as well, so more stupid questions are going to come along.

Glad Im not the only muppet that asks them haha

Hey guys. Next project on my list involves making an el injection system work on my crossy. 

Just wondering which intake would be better to run, the standard XF bunch of banannas or the EL BBM?

Modification isn't going to be a problem, it's sort of my job, more interested in which one is going to suit a daily driven car more.

the BBM would be better

i suppose someone else is going to say it eventually.. why not run the whole EL motor? 

I had reason to look at the port spacing difference between the two engine recently.  They are not as far out as you would think.  My advice - get the 1st section of the xf efi setup and the complete broadband.  put them together on the bench.  sit down with a Great Northern Lager (or your favourite tipple) and work out a plan to make it happen. 

After your second drink you should have a plan well and truly sorted.  There is a heap of advice on how to trigger the bbm by vacuum switches from other cars (barina comes to mind).  The bbm will work way better than the bunch of bananas.

the BBM would be better

i suppose someone else is going to say it eventually.. why not run the whole EL motor? 

EL motor was toast in the donor vehicle, and i'm happy with the mechanical condition of the crossy. My sister had a "mechanic" change the timing chain on her el and he butchered the job. Bent all the intake valves. So she got another vehicle as an engine donor and i got paid in the left overs for swapping the motors for her.

I had reason to look at the port spacing difference between the two engine recently.  They are not as far out as you would think.  My advice - get the 1st section of the xf efi setup and the complete broadband.  put them together on the bench.  sit down with a Great Northern Lager (or your favourite tipple) and work out a plan to make it happen. 

After your second drink you should have a plan well and truly sorted.  There is a heap of advice on how to trigger the bbm by vacuum switches from other cars (barina comes to mind).  The bbm will work way better than the bunch of bananas.

The ports look really close. Rather than use the first section of the XF EFI manifold i was going to make an adapter plate. Got the machines and the experience to do it, so i can't see why that bit won't work.

I'm using the EL ECU, so triggering the bbm won't be an issue. I've got the complete donor car so all the valves are here, i just need to figure out how to make them work.

I'm very glad to know I'm not the only one that calls the XE/F EFI intake runners bananas haha

I've only ever known them as a bunch of bananas manifold. The name seems to describe them perfectly.

Silly question but if the ports are that close could you use some synthetic bonded fibre resin( new bakelite) which you can shave/work like timber to match the manifold ports to the head ports. I used this stuff on my engine to match a ported manifold to a standard port cylinder head. This has the added benifit of isolating the intake from the heat of the head and is only 10mm thick

You could wagoon, but you need to be able to bolt the manifold to the head.

When you come to change the leads or dizzy, you will wish the bananas were still there. The BBM are a very cool idea, but suck to work around.

It's easy all you need is 2 inlet gaskets, you use one on the head and cut away any material hanging over the ports and add tape to areas that are not covered. Then do the same with the manifold. Then drill out the mounting holes on the bakelite stuff, one side you put the head gasket and scribe the ports and the other side you put the manifold gasket and scribe the ports. Then drill a hole in the centre (hole saws work really well here) and work your way out to the edge of the port on each side and you have a custom ported heat insulator. An offcut big enough to make said synthetic bonded fibre resin cost $50

Bolt holes are nowhere near lining up. The crossy stuff is vertical and the bbm has them at about 45 degrees to the port.

As for spacer material, it was going to be aluminium or if the engineering plastic rep comes through work before i get the adaptor made i was going to hassle him for some product recommendations.

I was going to have studs hanging out of the plate to bolt the bbm to and use countersunk bolts to bolt the plate to the head. But as yet, still not gotten that far. Maybe in the next weekend or 2.

I'm looking at this as well, but mainly at the EB/ED manifold on the crossflow, only have a printed out gasket but it looks like you can drill and tapper the head for the E series mounting bolts. From what I can't see you won't hit water but I haven't spent too much time on it yet. My idea is to bold the EB/ED manifold to the crossflow head and send 20psi through it.

keep the x series injector body as it has the correct angle of installation for the injectors to meet the recess cut into the head intake ports. You also need to space and angle the manifold slightly otherwise it will not clear the distributor and the rocker cover, especially if u have to raise the rocker if you're running big lift.

the intake runners are also 40 mm on the e series manifold so you can use x series injector body to taper from 40 mm to 34 millimetre for the head.

http://www.xfalcon.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34335-e-series-broadband-manifold-onto-efi250-crossy-walk-through/

keep the x series injector body as it has the correct angle of installation for the injectors to meet the recess cut into the head intake ports. You also need to space and angle the manifold slightly otherwise it will not clear the distributor and the rocker cover, especially if u have to raise the rocker if you're running big lift.

the intake runners are also 40 mm on the e series manifold so you can use x series injector body to taper from 40 mm to 34 millimetre for the head.

http://www.xfalcon.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34335-e-series-broadband-manifold-onto-efi250-crossy-walk-through/

Thanks for that. That explains why i couldn't find you build on this forum, coz it's not here. 

Thanks for taking the time to write it all up and explain why every thing was done the way it was done. Very helpful.

Oh well, more work to do. 

actually you have to release the stock injector housing a little as it sprays onto the edge of it and dribbles down, the injector boss also protrudes quite aggressively into the runner so you can basically loop it off and then just relive it so the spray don't hit the edges, runt he injector with the manifold off and you'll see what I mean