Nath

Kill Switches!

Hey guys,

So the XD is back on the road and it's time to start thing about all the random extra crap that I can do to it.

This was one of the first thing's I'd want to do seeing as it has all the anti theft features available in the 80s - steering lock and.... steering lock.

I googled it but can't seem to find any specific kits or an exact list of parts.

Has anyone got a set-up they recommend? The old man said he could help me wire it up if I get the parts. He recommended one that cuts off the battery, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Or use a lpg lock off solenoid, had that setup in my XF (after it got successfully stolen twice) the car will start and run but soon as it stalls any would be thieves abandoned it soon as it stalls when the carb empties

Or use a lpg lock off solenoid, had that setup in my XF (after it got successfully stolen twice) the car will start and run but soon as it stalls any would be thieves abandoned it soon as it stalls when the carb empties

How/where would you install that?

Fuel cut off solenoid triggered with a micro switch under the carpet near the driver, works well, not too complicated.

If they think its out of juice as stated above, they will leave it. Might start at first, but stall before they get anywhere.

Fuel cut off solenoid triggered with a micro switch under the carpet near the driver, works well, not too complicated.

If they think its out of juice as stated above, they will leave it. Might start at first, but stall before they get anywhere.

Sounding like a good idea... 

If you have a factory switch on the dash that you don't use any more, you can wire it up so it secretly switches coil power. I use my AC switch to trigger my MSD retard, and as my rear demister no longer works, I'll use the switch as a kill switch when I get around to it.

If you have a factory switch on the dash that you don't use any more, you can wire it up so it secretly switches coil power. I use my AC switch to trigger my MSD retard, and as my rear demister no longer works, I'll use the switch as a kill switch when I get around to it.

That was actually my plan. Maybe around the centre console even. At least that way I don't have to find a way to hide any wiring (as it'll just be behind there).

Auto tran switch is the easiest to setup just piggy back off the wires and fit a switch in a convenient place.

Sounds good. Would jaycar have something like that do you think?

I found that the easiest method is to cut the trigger feed to the starter motor.

I've used one of the old style floor headlight dip switches under the carpet up highish on the floor left of the pedals.

It means that no one, including a passenger can see you operating the cut out switch.

Good idea.

I used a push button for mine, down by my seat belt buckle. Hold the button, while turning the key.

Had a switch to set it all back to normal, so when i put the car in for a radiator or window tint, It started as normal. Hid the switch in the boot.

I don't have a kill switch fitted yet. I went with something more visual as a deterrent. It's multi strand stainless wire with a plastic cover around the wire. I wrap one end around the brake pedal and then weave it in and around the wheel then lock it with a pad lock. I know it won't stop anyone serious in stealing the car but it should stop the dickheads.

20150106_054937_zps4726ecd5.jpg

Decided to go the auto trans switch. Can someone me know exactly which wire(s) need to be altered? From memory theres a few down there.

Having a wiring day with Dad on the weekend.