vanJack

Cracked A pillars

As the pictures show cracked pillar, water runs down inside rubber seal and ends up on the floor. 

It's a panel van, anyone else had this problem.  If you fixed it what cost was involved?

post-2982-0-97582400-1418109854_thumb.jpg

post-2982-0-51687900-1418110101_thumb.jpg

post-2982-0-69375400-1418110110_thumb.jpg

post-2982-0-12937500-1418110117_thumb.jpg

post-2982-0-58514900-1418110125_thumb.jpg

Why are my ears fucking burning again, I'm a pastry chef, what the fuck would I know about shit like this? lol

Pain in the arse spot because there's so much factory sealer in that corner. You're going to need to wire wheel it all out and see what is happening there. If you find a crack in the steel, weld it up, if it's just the sealer whack some more in. Painting will be happening.

Mark, it's spelt "furry" not fury, change your sig fella. And it's breaker one nine, did you never watch Convoy in your earlier years.

Steel doesn't normally crack in a straight line. It's a bit hard to tell from the small pick but as glen said it make only be the sealer. If you clean it out with a wire wheel or wire brush you should be able to see it better. To identify a crack in steel you are going to need to take it all the way back to shiny metal which can be done with a bit of sand paper.

The Panno's are known for cracking at the A-pillars.

I reckon 1 in 2, have cracking there at some level or another.

XH's don't seem to do it anything like the XG's do.

Most commonly seems to be the L/H A pillar.

Definitely metal. It's an old problem I thought was fixed by a guy I knew who said he could fix it.. NOT.. You can feel the movement at that break with your fingertip as you drive slowly over uneven ground, like a driveway onto the road.. actually pinches the skin of your finger. The plenum's good, no issues there. Apparently x falcon vans flex at the A pillar.. especially with hard springs.. and lots of weight.. and lots of kays.. like half a million..( but I can't prove it cause it's on it's 2nd odo.) 

Soooo back to my question, has anyone had this problem.. and fixed it.. or is it terminal.. as in EXPENSIVE! There's buggar all rust in the rest of the van, just the crap going on round the A pillars and down onto the sills. Thanks.

Did he get it fixed? Very disconcerting.. (the big word for the day).

What I'm driving at is, has anyone here actually had this problem and fixed it..?

If so how? Is just welding it enough, or does it need bracing? Or what...?

Again, thanks..

Nah he started turning it into a speedway car then left it in my yard for the next 5 years. Went to the tip after that. Could have fixed it if he could be bothered. Rust in the area was the main cause. Simple weld and paint would have done the trick.

If the car is known for moving in the A pillar and you fix that area and add extra stiffening then all you will do if move the weak point somewhere else that may actually make things worse. If you weld up that area, generally speaking mig wire is stronger than mild steel when using an argosheild type gas. So if you weld it up it will be stronger anyway but not stiff enough to transfer the load point else where. It may well happen again as the steel will work harden and become brittle and break due to the movement in that area

Mate Im 20 minutes south of Ipswich and happen to have an XH ute that Im stripping. You are more that welcome to come out and have a look over it and grab anything you need to fix yours.

Yes I noticed your location wagoon, "South of Ipswich". Be good to meet a fellow falconer. Was that you offering a ute on ebay.. I think it was?

Very much appreciate your offer.. maybe pm me an address.. thanks.

So the movement that does the damage is torsional twisting.. yes? which I think is the front twisting one way and the back end the opposite way.. ?

And the top of the A pillar is where it obviously gives.. and Ford's answere was to triangulate a small area at that point.

So maybe try and replicate what Ford did.. what the hey, give it a go I suppose..