Clevo120Y

Budget upgrades for the DIY

Good explanation Stumper, I'm pretty stoked too! Just hoping this newfound efficiency shows at the petrol pump... It's been a shocker lately: about 20l/100km

That's the only good thing about the cuzzo being off the road, not driving a car that gets 35l/100 :huh:

Anyone who runs a Carter/Edelbrock AFB or an aluminium Holley will know all about vapour lock when it gets warm under the bonnet.

You can make a carby insulator out of a bit of marine ply, then paint it with epoxy to protect it from fuel. You do need to be handy with the wood tools and have a router available with its various bits. Many speed shops actually sell them but they start at around 70 bucks. A lot of coin for a lump of wood i reckon.

You could even make it extend out to shield the bowls from radiant heat, just might not look too flash.

You could also look into Synthetic Resin Bonded Fabric which is basically the same as bakelite and can be cut just like wood with routers etc. I bought a 600x150 off cut 12mm thick for $50 which I am going to use as an inlet manifold insulator on my crossflow. I am also using it to taper the manifold runners down to my cylinder head runners size for a smoother transition into the head

I dragged an XF ute out of a paddock the other weekend. Has an EFI motor fitted, unknown condition.

Should I keep the E2 head it has?

If I understand correctly it has bigger valves but also bigger chambers (lower comp). Having it shaved should give good compression, it would then be a good upgrade over the XD alloy head?

It still has an 84da weber manifold too if anyone needs one.

From what I have read E2 head have a lower cc chamber

E1 is 57cc

E2 is 52cc

And if you use the EFI cam you will have to run an electric fuel pump....

The cams in the EFI are slightly milder than there carby breathren....

I should word that better.

Would having the E2 head shaved 30/40 thou and fitting it to my XD 250 provide a worthwhile gain? As in should I pull the head off the donor car before scrapping it.

Not using the motor or cam. Did run an identical motor in my old ute though with the carby cam (for the pump) and intake and it seemed to go pretty well.

SLO247 - I like the E2 head and with a .040 shave you should be down around the 48cc mark but still a nice chamber shape and the bigger inlet valve is a help. 

Don't junk it - they are not making them anymore you know.  keep the EFI rocker cover as well as I think they look ace on any x-flow.

shaving the head and having a combustion chamber that size will bump up your compression ratio. I tried to fit the efi rocker cover on my wagon with a stock webber on a stock manifold and it didn't fit as it hit the carby. A small spacer should take care of that though

SLO 247 - yes and Yes.  bigger inlet = more flow = better.  Smaller chamber  = more compression = better. 

Probably done a lot less K's than your alloy head XD = better.

I used to use a rubber spacer with that combo. No idea where it came from.

As long as it gains compression I'm in, guessing it will necessitate 98? Not sure what octane rating leaded was anyway.

What should I be paying to have it shaved?

I believe leaded fuel was about 96 ron. Compression ratio will determine if 98 is crucial or not, its never a bad thing to use 98 but if you need to use it as a daily and want to use 95 to keep cost down just dont shave it so much. You will need the dish of your piston to workout compression.

I tried to fit the efi rocker cover on my wagon with a stock webber on a stock manifold and it didn't fit as it hit the carby. A small spacer should take care of that though

A die grinder will easily take care of it as well, that's how I fitted my EFI cover to my Weber carbed XF.

Its just a weekender so don't really care about fuel costs, plan to run as much timing as I can!

Yes Jim we all know. C1/E1 leaded, C2/E2 unleaded. D late XF commercial.

Wrecked about 20 million of the god forsaken things in the last few years, every time I need parts I buy a car.

Just like throwing my questions at the speedway fellas when it comes to go faster bits, I know fuck all.