Sign in to follow this  
jamie247

auto gearbox options for 351

building a 351 stroked to 393 later in the year keeping car an auto what is the best gearbox to run with sequential shifting etc motor approx. 500hp plus looked on ebay theres outlaws,tpi etc

A lot has been said of the fmx for strength. But from memory it'll be on its limit. Second the c6. Although big dollar c4's will take 650 easy. There's a lot of power lost through the c6 though from a previous thread I saw a month ago. I'm at 400hp with mine and a pretty much stock but overhauled fmx with 2200 stall. No dramas yet. Although the whole car has been on stands for a few years lol.

Cheers - Steve

Yeah, love my FMX. Neck snapping gear changes, but, FOOKINELL they are heavy.!!!

C4 or C6, tested and proven on the dragstrip. Powerglides are good too, but, only 2 noises come out the back end. :lol:  :lol:

FMX was phased out in the 70's for more efficient designs in the C4 & C6. Ironically, in the 80's they revived the work they'd started on an overdrive version of the FMX in the late 60's. Thus the AOD was born. If I was into autos, this would be the path I'd take.

i'd go c4.. im building a 393 and c4 will be behind it.... as mentioned, they can handle big power these days... and they're lighter than bigger boxes...

if you're in sydney, i can forward my gearbox tech's number.. he's build mine and mates boxes for years.. and has a mopar powered drag capri in his workshop.. i think from memory with a c4.. its a 9 second car...

thats my 2 cents info...

cheers for the info guys I'm thinking c4 with a 2500 stall with pistol grip shifter been quoted round $2700 to handle 600+, yeah motorcycles4eva his contact details would be great mate

I've got a C10 built back in January, built for drag racing, but is nice on the street, Dominator 2800 stall.

Has Transgo rebuild kit, manual valve body, R series Billet servo, 4 pinion 4340 planetary w/new gears,

hi tuff 4340 input shaft, kevlar bands, roller bearings, 6 clutch forward moly hub, red clutches, koleen steels,

Ford_Man.. That description of what you have is so mixed up it hurts me to read it .

Transgo rebuild kit?  Transgo make shift kits for valvebody's . not rebuild parts .

Manual Valve Body?? A Transgo stage 3 kit maybe to convert to manual?? Or maybe reading further on I think you have parts from PTC? One of their MVB? If so good choice :)

R series billet servo?? No such thing. R servo is a factory servo on a lot of Clevo C4's . A very good servo all the same . The billet servo are either based on a H servo  ( P.A or TCI ) or the most popular being the Sonnax brand with the purple cover being based on a C servo .

4 pinion planet + good . likely from PTC . Very nice piece .

HiTuff 4340? Input shafts are either Hituf or 4340, 2 different types .

6 clutch fwd moly hub?? The Chrome moly hub from PTC is a nice piece . The hub is one piece , the 6 clutches is separate really , usually the 6 clutch is for the high/reverse though I do put 6 clutches in the forward in a trans behind a motor making a lot of torque . For interest I have tried 5 forward clutches  with 600+ RWHP and no sign of any slip :)

Not picking here , just trying to help you understand what you have

Ah yes the old C10 thing again lol . Good to see you mention Gassed250 :)  No such thing. They are all C4 , C10 is a slang term for a Clevo Pan fill trans

Now to the original question. A C4 built right will laugh at 500 HP. A C6 is a good choice also. The FMX will work too, prob not the wisest choice but if you had FMX already it can work ok .

Ah yes the old C10 thing again lol . Good to see you mention Gassed250 :) No such thing. They are all C4 , C10 is a slang term for a Clevo Pan fill trans.

I'm learning more about autos in this thread than I ever have. I'm a stick shifter myself, but have just found out I have 2 pan fill C4's sitting on my shelf :)

Thanks Gregaust, Yeah I probably got confused between some of the parts in it and he had there, I'm a nuffy when it comes to auto's  :wacko: 

I'm sure He got parts from PTC, it would be the hi tuff input, Had a R servo before, now has the purple cover sonnax sevro,

so it has 6 clutch, and chrome moly hub. I wish I had 600rwhp maybe one day.

cough turbo 700 cough

If I was still going clevo I was going to look into using one of these. I like the idea of an overdrive, for the street anyway.

Yeah the turbo 700 has plenty of aftermarket support here so you don't have to go overseas for parts and it is a 4 speed. The only real downside is that you would be fitting a gm part.