Sign in to follow this  
Whirla

Will a XE K frame fit into an XG??

Can someone please help me?

Need to get a new k frame welded into my XG van but all I can find is an XE so I just need someone to tell me if they are the same or if not what is.

Would love a reply, dying to get the van back on the road!

Cheers

Thanks for the reply Ants, my XG van has cracked through the shock towers and down the brace to the frame area, body works guy suggested I find a donor car to cut the bits out of and have them all welded into my bus, big job I know but don't wont to sell my van as it is in fairly good cond apart from this problem.

Or is there any other repair options for this, surely I'm not the only person to have this problem?

XG is a shell all on its own, XD,E and F have very similar front ends as each other, just firewall changed. But XG has a completely different front subframe to the rest. Not to say that any competent fabricator couldnt fit an XE subframe into an XG, the rest is relatively the same but i cant say that the radiator will fit straight back in or not, it may do no probs.

XH is a shell all on its own

Fixed!

XD-E-F rails, towers, inner fenders and radiator support panels are all the same bar some obvious pressings and holes that are different between model changes.

XH has a different front end completely. From the firewall forward to be exact.

Whirla, cut the XE crossmember and suspension hats out and weld them into your van no problems.

Thats all true glenn, but he has an XG panelvan and his question was if they are the same as XE... which they are not. The fornt end is eesentially identical in respects to XDEF as you have described but the lower rad support panel that captivates the radius rod bushes is not. The bushing mounts are in the same location but so it would adapt his suspension perfectly but i cant say yes or no on whats above that, namely the radiator mounts and bottom hose.

Thats all true glenn, but he has an XG panelvan and his question was if they are the same as XE... which they are not.

Read that question again Clint. He's after the crossmember and suspension hats to remedy the cracking in the suspension towers, looking at the two XG Vans in my driveway at the moment they're a direct replacement.

Ok thanks for the replies guys, looks like the old girl will be able to be repaired then, although it does sound like a big and no doubt daunting job. Is there anything else I should possibly think of doing while the engine is out?

Thanks again

Even if you left in the XG lower radiator support panel you'd be able to weld in the replacement XE radius rod mounts (k frame I think you're talking about) as they're still the same part in the same place. I think even the lower tie bar is the same, it just doesn't have those poxy mounts for the old copper radiator.

When Ford dropped in the 4lt they made a huge

plate that was mig welded in over the top of the existing structure. I'll grab some pics of it all from the empty XG Van engine bay tomorrow and endeavour to post them up asap.

simple the lower radiator suppot is wayyyy diff to the xe unit ,I should know I modded the shit out of my xe using xg shit all of you are correct right ,so no pissing comp required ,just get what you need from an xg by drilling out the spot welds ,and plug weld back into place ,just make sure you get good penetration and its straight and it be good to drive ,the fire wall and lower support are the diff nothing else enjoy ,get to drilling and welding

Ok, remembered to take some pics and upload them to photobucket (I love my new phone).

B9D45075-9886-4F62-9F06-339189DE53EA.jpg

8D8A4EDE-8918-47C6-9A9D-3BF326B4EA4D.jpg

The whole lower radiator support is there to replace the original lower tie bar, radius rod mounts are the same as XE.

Learn something new every day :)