FORD_MAN

AFD 2V intake trouble

G'day I am having trouble fitting my AFD 2V intake to my cleveland.
There is a large gap on either side where it mounts up to the cylinder heads,
just trying to get ideas on how to make it fit.

with gaskets

IMG_1951_zpsa35f5572.jpg

IMG_1952_zps845200e7.jpg

Without gaskets

IMG_1959_zpsc4c2075d.jpg

IMG_1961_zpsb02bcdad.jpg

IMG_1960_zps4dfd65a4.jpg

IMG_1963_zps6e3dff51.jpg

IMG_1962_zps05ec549b.jpg

IMG_1964_zpsa81119d5.jpg

IMG_1965_zps3454ced8.jpg

If you can't take it back as Gerg says. Maybe centralise the manifold , measure the gap and get some ally flat bar as close as possible to the gap size to make spacers . If you have access to a mill then cut it out. If not hole saw, drill & die grind it out to the gasket. Or you can get it laser cut. Tidy up with die grinder to perfectly port match. That's how I would attempt it, others may have a better solution.

Arnt those manifolds made for the 'afd 2v heads' 

not 'factory 2v heads' ?

i could be wrong

That would mean they'd have to stick out past the block face and the valley end rails in order to meet up with the manifold. Sounds goofy to me

was it new? engines that have had the block and heads decked and then the manifold need machining as well to fit

if it was not new this may be the issue if not call dave and ask him

was it new? engines that have had the block and heads decked and then the manifold need machining as well to fit

if it was not new this may be the issue if not call dave and ask him

agreed New intakes are usually made to fit standard dimensions, shaving heads and milled blocks (especially zero decked ones) will usually need the intake machined to suit

Got a email from david at AFD he said to punch the dowels into the head and use a felpro 1240 inlet gasket. so I'll give that a go might need a slight shave on the manifold base.

The point is that it should be a straight bolt-on. For the amount of money these things cost, you'd expect that. Decking the block or shaving the head should only affect the port alignment, and have no effect on the distance between the manifold and port face.

I just don't get how you could screw up a Clevo manifold. They only ever came in one block size, unlike Windsors.

The point is that it should be a straight bolt-on. For the amount of money these things cost, you'd expect that. Decking the block or shaving the head should only affect the port alignment, and have no effect on the distance between the manifold and port face.

I just don't get how you could screw up a Clevo manifold. They only ever came in one block size, unlike Windsors.

i dont agree with that you have to understand how many diffrent deck hights blocks are machined to and how much people machine heads to get a given compresstion ratio. ive been thru this a few times and just done it with my ute cause my heads did not match my manifold same with the air gap on my v8 corty. it did not fit either but i was not willing to machine it cause that engines rubbish and will be replaced so i did not make it fit as it should just got it to bolt on and the ports not match up 

If you machined too much material off the deck wouldn't it bring the tops of the decks closer together? Therefore the manifold wouldn't sit all the way down as it would be touching on the inlet port faces and the gap would be on the valley face. Machining off the head faces would lower the port position but not alter the gap between faces on the heads and manifold.

The only way I could see the OP's problem occurring is machining material off the inlet port faces of the heads or the manifold isn't the correct size.

Yes manifold is new,

I'll agree with PRO250 so many variables, blocks aren't always machined perfectly square and Dart blocks are 9.2" deck height and clevos are around 9.238". The AFD manifold is designed for both,

I'll be ordering gaskets once my 250 crank linished so I can make a larger parts order. so time will tell.

yeah thats not normal.... if bolted an AFD 2v manifold on with the felpro 1240 (as reccomended) and didn't have gaps like that..... in saying that the port face of the manifold looks slightly thinner the the one i used

Yes manifold is new,

I'll agree with PRO250 so many variables, blocks aren't always machined perfectly square and Dart blocks are 9.2" deck height and clevos are around 9.238". The AFD manifold is designed for both,

I'll be ordering gaskets once my 250 crank linished so I can make a larger parts order. so time will tell.

If the block or heads weren't square the the gap on the inlet face would be tapered and if the block was too short in deck height it would be touching on the inlet faces not bottoming out on the valley. Anyway good luck with it, I hope you get it to fit somehow.

Do the port faces look like they've been machined? Maybe a customer return after a fuck up.

I don't think removing (or hammering in) the dowels are going to get it anywhere close enough even if you  used a massively thick gasket or spacer on both sides. 

That manifolds faces have been machined to suit another engine that has the block and or heads decked, I would put money on it. The manifold faces are a lot thinner than any other manifold I have seen, I know you said it was new but no way that is how they are produced and sold in stock form, I just did a TFC manifold for a cast iron headed engine and it fit no worries.

That manifolds faces have been machined to suit another engine that has the block and or heads decked, I would put money on it. The manifold faces are a lot thinner than any other manifold I have seen, I know you said it was new but no way that is how they are produced and sold in stock form, I just did a TFC manifold for a cast iron headed engine and it fit no worries.

I agree Sean, exactly what I suggested back in post #18

I agree like I said earlier, if the block was decked too much the manifold would be sitting on the port faces, not on the valley. I'd be asking for some specs of the finished sizes from the company who sold it, or at least measure it against the stock iron intake.