Sign in to follow this  
XDoug

Removing 351c & top loader from XW

Can some one put me on the right track where the best spot to bolt on the lifting brackets so as to remove engine and gearbox together with out to much swing down at the gear box end, or some tips.

I'm with you, nOObus, looks scary. BUt, if dudes have used them, (like you blackxt) with no issues, then I guess they work.

I use a couple of old seat belts tied with a double granny knot....... :blink:

Seriously, chains on the heads, or fabric slings around the sump, and a chain block/engine crane. Much better with a mate helping. Jack up engine then slowly push car out the way.

Dont forget plastic bag tied on trans housing, cos gearbox oil smells like ass.

i've used the carby flange type and i've got made up hooks that bolt onto the exhaust port on the head so i can have one strap on each corner, use a load leveler, makes the job 10x easier.

i usually pull the box out under the car if it's an easy job (which it usually is) and just leave the bellhousing etc attached, gives you more room in a tight situation and saves you from worrying about gearbox oil on the ground.

I can get my clevo/fmx combo in and out of the TD corty with a load leveler, goto get it on a massive angle but no problems, i made 4 small steel plates out of 8mm flat bar that bolt to the front and rear of each head and clear the carb dizzy ect.. works great! :D

The original plates work the best if you've got them, the front holes are for engine only, the rears for engine and trans, they work really well.  If you haven't got any get some and fit them before the engine goes back in.

Like said above, front of one head, back of the other. I put a couple of small bolts through the chain either side of the engine crane hook to stop the chain sliding through when it's on a big angle, and put an old slip yoke in the back if the box to plug it if you have one lying around.