Sign in to follow this  
SLO247

Ute rear window removal and re-fitting

G'day blokes.

I want to remove the rear glass from my ute. I'd also like to remove the quarter windows.

Is it a push out job like the sedan? How about the pop out quarter glass?

How is it refitted? Just pressed in with the seal or glued in or what?

I'm prepping it for paint and I also have a hole to weld up right next to the rubber, some wanker drilled to run wires through. I'm sure as hell not painting it with rubber in the way! It would be nice to get in behind the quarter glass too.

The 1/4 windows are screwed in on the inside, where the three metal bits are.

I've removed a ute rear window once, but we cut through the seal to do that, meaning new seal o re-install. Not sure if you can get them out without doing that...

They go back in like a sedan back window don't they gaz, with a rope?

i took mine out once and refitted it with the rope.. was before the help of the internets.. so there might be a best place to end up ? but i had a lower corner last to get in and i was not having an easy time(it was as if the window grew 3 mm too wide)

with the attitude of "this is going in or i'll break it" it went in with a lot of force.. (next time i'd pay a windscreen expert to refit maybe.. if they are experts)

They can be a bit cunty because they're so narrow and flat, but glass will bend a bit before shattering. I always use a small bead of sealer on the edge of the seal which also acts as a bit of a lubricant to let the rubber slide into the hole.

I always use a small bead of sealer on the edge of the seal which also acts as a bit of a lubricant to let the rubber slide into the hole.

I'm not sure if you're describing putting a window in or something else

What if I flood it all with silicon spray? I'll have a go getting it back in.

I got it out in one piece anyway. Not as fucking easy as a sedan. Popping the seal in the corner is the trick, then getting your fingers behind and pulling it all out. It bends a lot.

Good thing I took it out too, can fix the rust before it spreads.

I would stick with the Black Sikoflex (that sticky shit, you cant get off your fingers for 2 weeks !!) I've seen the Acetone ?? or something in Silastic leave a frosty look on the glass, which you cant get off.

Having said that, shouldn't hurt the paint.