dizzy616

best way to get a engine moving

i got a 250 crossflow and i cant spin the flexplate to bolt up the stall converter i was just wondering whats the best way to free it up.

i figured maybe poor some fresh oil down it or wd40 the fark out of the crank. what are your guys inputs.the engines meant to be all good its just been sitting for a while

use a pry bar near the bellhousing and turn it that way

if youve fitted the motor to the gear box ,i hope you slipped the torque converter in properly,as it needs to be held up and turned with a little pressure and it will slip onto the input shaft 3x times ,if you havent done this ,the box and motor will jam ,and if your real unlucky you would have wrecked \ the auto

the engines out im just trying to do the last bolts on the torque converter. to drop it in to the car. i got the auto still in the car.

i was thinking maybe i might give that starter motor trick a go. when i get it sitting in the car. after i top it up with some oil see if it will un seize. then turn turn it over manually and get the last bolts in

the engines apparently been sitting for a while

the engines out im just trying to do the last bolts on the torque converter. to drop it in to the car. i got the auto still in the car.

i was thinking maybe i might give that starter motor trick a go. when i get it sitting in the car. after i top it up with some oil see if it will un seize. then turn turn it over manually and get the last bolts in

the engines apparently been sitting for a while

bolt on a man bellhousing and fit the starter and kick it over on the floor before you fit it ,be fucked fitting it only to find out its totally rooted ,

ok ill try that then. thankyou. yeh it would suck putting a rooted motor in. i just dont want it to be rooted but lol

should i throw some oil into it to lube it up before i try?

thanks gaz i would have made a mistake if you didn't point that out

Nah man diesel or any other oil or whatever is fine since your only going to use it to free the motor up by hand when you can spin it fully and its all free probably a few rotations just to be sure, dump the oil chuck in fresh and start it up.

Like others have said you need to turn it over before putting it in. Put oil in it, drop some oil down the plug holes and most important pull the dizzy out and prime the oil pump for the bearings. Leave the plugs out while you turn it over manually via a breaker bar on the balancer bolt.

ohwell i pulled the head off and i found crap all through the cylinders. they still look good only a bit of surface rust and corrosion. the engine been stored not far from the beach so sort of what i expected. going to try wire brushing it out and wd40 it give it another spin.

came with a top end rebuild kit go figure

i left a mixture of atf and wd40 in the cylinders going to let it soak over night

all that crap is carbon from the top of the pistons ,humidity causes it to lift and fall off when an engine isnt run for a long time ,send the head away and get a surface grind done onit for peace of mind,