jamie247

help build my new 351 cleveland

hi huys gonna build my own motor but what's in order parts wise etc brands etc it's standard bore 2 bolt 351 c d2ae i'm looking for around 450hp with carb setup

Maaaaate.........the possibilities are endless  !!!

It all comes down to personal preference. Some dudes like Crow Cams, some like Stroker kits, others like Racing fuel.

Speak to engine builder (assuming you are gonna get the block bored??) as he/she needs to know exact piston sizes, BEFORE they machine block.

Pistons and Rings

Mains and Conrod brgs

Cam brgs

Cam and lifters

Overhaul heads - valves, springs, guides

Waterpump - might as well

Full gasket set

Get prices from Speed shops, VPW, Summit, Autopro......  everybody ! ! !

just watch compression ratios , with unleaded itl ping like a bugger!

BUILT A MATES MOTOR MANY YRS AGO 351 C ,13:1 IT CAN ONLY RUN ON lpg woo hoo shes got some stick

yep it's a plain block only so I can put all bolt on on and gilmer etc, getting it honed and bored then decked etc what the best bore size to go 40thou?

A mate of mine has a XT falcon,has a cranky 351 clevo it probably makes 400hp at the flywheel.It has around the 11.1 comp,2V closed chamber heads,just a standard 351 crank and 5'7 rods,big hydraulic crane cam,chinese single plane manifold,850dp holley.Was assembled well and always gets flogged every time it taken out and always see's 7000rpm with no dramas.Was built almost 7 yrs ago and is still going strong today.

Try to to stay 0.030" over or less as you can have issues with running hot

I've had a .060 clevo and never had any dramas with over heating.

Yeah can be had. But, in the '70's, casting technology was less than accurate. A problem named 'coreshift' occurred, causing bores to be slightly off centre. Most of them have now been bored out and ditched.

Windsor's were generally .040" and Clevo's .060"

I read about a company in the states, that reproduces the Cleveland block BRAND NEW !!!!

hyd roller setup probably best bang for buck.

AFD 2v heads, AFD Intake, Comp 290hr or a camtech CT2021 - 49906-110 cam, 10.8:1 compression, hypereutectic pistons (with valve releifs), balanced bottom end, QFT/Pro Systems carby, should shit in 450hp. should rev cleanly to about 6300, the camtech will make a bit more hp and tq and it would be my preference personally.

ARP bolt and stud kit obviously, get the heads set up by Dave at AFD, buy your cam first, then tell him you want it set up to suit and give him the money, the guy knows his shit.

stroking it is up to you and what you can afford. work out your budget, price everything up, then add 10% because you can just bout gaurentee you will spend it.

try n keep the bore 30thou over max, unless you have had the bore sonic tested and its a thick wall block.

the less overbore you have, the better.

best bit, everything will be off the shelf which makes it easy to work with.

edit: just punched that combo into DD and you should scream upwards of 480hp. the camtech made more power too. DD dyno results are as follows.

comp 290hr 507hp 458ftlbs camtech 516hp 463ftlbs camtech had a nicer graph too. (do not expect this power level, it assumes perfect conditions and no accesories on the motor but 480hp should be easily done)

I'm looking at building a 600hp demon reving at 7200-8000rpm i'm thinking keeping standard bore but stroking it to a 393 etc, chi heads and manifold to match 750 holley big cams etc what should I set aside budget wise

I'm looking at building a 600hp demon reving at 7200-8000rpm i'm thinking keeping standard bore but stroking it to a 393 etc, chi heads and manifold to match 750 holley big cams etc what should I set aside budget wise

what happened to your 500hp engine for 8k that your mate was building for you ?

what happened to your 500hp engine for 8k that your mate was building for you ?

HA that was to good to be true unfortunately it didn't include labour nor bottom end  and the nastiest set of heads known to man so would of been like the crate 393 after all LOLOLO, I spoke to russ through pm and he did actually put me onto some goodies I guess the old 351 is not like building a supercharged BA xr8 I need to get in the old school state of mind

dunno if youll get to that rpm band with a stroker kit, standard 351 you can for sure though, 750 holley might be a bit small for those revs too however depends on comp/cam etcc./.

dunno if youll get to that rpm band with a stroker kit, standard 351 you can for sure though, 750 holley might be a bit small for those revs too however depends on comp/cam etcc./.

yeah I thought the stroker might limit that rev range I was told with compression to not go any higher then 10 is this a myth

450hp is a sounds a bit rich for a good honest streeter, id stick to 400hp and that is probably getting up near the driveable ceiling.

Does anyone hear realise that Dick Johnson ran a cam around 260 degrees advertised duration and had only 450 hp? And that was a race engine with 4v's.