Sign in to follow this  
Mr Polson

Switch for thermos

So I'm wiring in EF thermos in my ute on the weekend. Noticed during the week driving it without the clutch fan on, temp was fine unless I had to sit and idle for any amount of time.

So this got me thinking, rather than wire it up to a sensor and do it that way, is it the same principle to wire it to a switch, where the switch just completes the circuit for the thermos, and they turn on/off.

Now for the tricky part. I have a ZL dash in my ute, and part of the ZL dash is a switch for a rear demister. Utes don't have rear demisters, so I was wondering, can I use the wiring and switch for the demister? Bonus to this is the light in the dash to remind me that the fans are on.

I figure all I have to do is find the wires for the demister, and add in the positive and negative to the demister circuit?

Should be pretty easy, negative shouldn't matter as long as there is a earth on the fans and the relay, at worst all you have to do is run a switching wire to the positive side of the relay and the demister switch easy as

I wired my thermos up to a on/off switch before i got the temp switch, didn't have to run em on the highway just when i got into town,
But after a couple of times of forgeting to turn it on, you soon appreciate the value of a temp switch.

Is this just for the short term Polson? For the long term, go automatic function, go the thermostatic switch - you don't want to spend the time you drive consumed by thoughts of the needs of your car's cooling system - let a gadget do that for you! 

Manual switch would let me decide when to turn them on rather than they come on when not really needed.

I've been driving around all day today with no fan on at all, and no sign of overheating.

Here's a basic diagram for what you want to do Chris. Nothing wrong with switching it yourself, just don't forget! 

Add a fuse between the relay and the fans for safety's sake.

post-134-0-33864600-1366448118_thumb.gif

start with 35 amps...

Good idea here.  I had a 30 amp circut breaker in mine and it kept cutting out.  Switched it out for a 35 amp fuse and haven't had any issues with it since.

Ford uses a 60 amp fuse from the factory...so do I in both cars I've done this to...with no dramas. If your worried about the fans coming on when you don't want to use the Davies Craig variable switch...cost me around fifty bucks from Supercheap i think - you can set it as high or low as you want to. I set mine after trial and error and they come on the temp gauge reaches middle range. There are probably more scientific ways of setting the fans to come on appropriately...but it's a work in progress.

Better check what alternator you're running too. You don't want to overload it, particularly at idle when you need the fans on but it charges the least.

I ran mine on a dash switch for a while and it gave me the shits. Trust me, a temp switch means one less hassle while driving your beast.

For now a manual switch would probably be temporary, or only last as long as the xflow is in there.

Alternator at the moment is standard, I have a higher amp carby one and an EFI xflow one. Guess I'll see which one copes the best.

You could always use the circuit above and parallel an auto switch with the manual switch. This would allow them to run automatically and if you required them to run for any particular reason you could manually bypass.

Got them wired in today, just hooked up to the manual switch for now (running via the demister as I wanted), will look at adding a temp sensor a bit later on. 

Also managed to get them in without having to chop up the thread for the original clutch fan from the water pump.

Wiring at fans

IMG_20130421_181444_zps1a5a7524.jpg

Relay looks almost factory

IMG_20130421_181506_zps1d0a5380.jpg

No interference from clutch fan thread

IMG_20130421_181437_zps0fb509d2.jpg

Don't see why it wouldn't work, but imo is a bit pricey... I paid $50 for my whole conversion (thermos and relay switch). Then I paid $15 total to get a normal relay rather than the temp one that came with the thermos, and for an inline fuse holder for the 12V direct feed from Autobarn. Used wiring from an old wiring harness that was lying around, and to connect two wires into one and vice versa the factory splitters that are in utes for towing wiring.

Yeah that's too dear, be cheaper to buy the parts seperate. Get most of it at Jaycar cheaper.

Polson those white connectors wouldn't happen to be scotch-locks at all would they? If so, banish them to hell! They are the root of maybe 90% of all problems on trailer wiring. They are pure evil.

Polson those white connectors wouldn't happen to be scotch-locks at all would they? If so, banish them to hell! They are the root of maybe 90% of all problems on trailer wiring. They are pure evil.

Umm, maybe? :P

They're only temporary, it was all I had lying around. I'm yet to have trouble with them in my trailer wiring