Free.51

Painting front bumper

You need to prime it for sure.

Run some plastic adhesive primer over it first,the some primer filler over it,if it fluffs up,give it a sand with some 320 between coats.

If you are painting it in solid 2k 320 is as course as I would recommend (i finish with 400 wet myself ) if it's a metallic I finish with 800 wet.

Can you really go that coarse on plastic and rubber? I've never gone below 320 on a bumper but its painfully slow.

If I can get away with it I'll go lower, XD bumper has a few coats.

Does anyone use Flex-aid in the paint?

i did with my front bar on the ute the second time i painted it. The first time i hit a gutter the paint bassicaly shattered and flaked off, but after we added the flex aid stuff it never had an issue again. Not untill i hit the wallaby anyway

Looks great,

Will the method described above also work for the XD front rubber lip?

Yes, it will. As long as you use a plasti-prime whenever you do plastics you will be fine, we've all seen paint 'flake' off plastic from plastic primers not being used. I just use a pressure pack for the plastic primer. You can speak to your paint shop about getting some flexaid put in your top coats but it's not essential. For your lip you will be fine with the pressure pack plast-prime, give it 10 minutes to flash off and paint straight over that. You may find there is a different plastic primer for 2k if that's what you're using. Cheers.