Nath

Wheel Selection!

Looks like shit just got serious and I bought myself a front brake upgrade for the XD - problem is my stockies and 12 slotters are 14 inch and I need at least 15s to clear the brakes.

Anyone got any good suggestions? Not looking to spend more than 400ish on a set. Would prefer something a bit more stock-ish/inconspicuous looking as opposed to hectic gold 20 inch simmons or whatever.

Always fun to suggest stuff when it's someone else's money :D

Thumbs down on the hectic gold 20" Simmons lol.

Snowies for the win mate!

Haha. I've always thought that rims shouldn't be the first thing you notice about a car, they should just compliment it without standing out too much. Always hated big rims on old cars too...

Not a huge fan of snowies either to be honest. I don't mind them but they don't really float my goat.

Haha we obviously have very different tastes my friend ;)

How bout some convos, hang on that ain't gonna work at 400 odd.

Maybe, and obviously looks shit hot on D's, globes, if you can pick them up cheap (obviously not easy), but there's two for sale on gumtree for under 200 atm, if you can find another two for the same price happy days.

400 isn't really the limit, I'd just rather not be dropping 2k on a set of rims when I have the rest of the driveline to build.

I love globes but they're pretty hard to find.

For a reasonable price anyway.

Just keep a look out on gumtree and eBay (as I know you do anyway) and if your not too fussy on style and size (eg 15 to 17 or so inch) and your main priorites are keeping it cost efective and clearing the brakes, something will come up soon enough.

Sorry mate, I just realised I haven't really helped at all.

Aah, You'll be right.

Globes are a great look and with some patience you will find a set, they do seem to come in waves on the above mentioned sites. You may need to get them posted though if they arent all that popular in your area.

When searching also look for valiant and jeep wheels from the 90's cherokee. Also some jap old school mags will fit if you can get the correct offset, look for wheels to suit the original 86 corollas and most nissan imports.

Globes are a great look and with some patience you will find a set, they do seem to come in waves on the above mentioned sites. You may need to get them posted though if they arent all that popular in your area.

When searching also look for valiant and jeep wheels from the 90's cherokee. Also some jap old school mags will fit if you can get the correct offset, look for wheels to suit the original 86 corollas and most nissan imports.

Cheers man, will keep that in mind.

EF stockies(interceptors) are cheap and look ok(especially if the rears are widened)
if you wanted the steel, no hubcap look of a stock XC wheel, maybe a Landau/LTD of 1973? ish steel rim also 15"

i'd go the EF rims till a set of Globes or pro stars or convo pro's turn up at the right price..

I love my Weld Draglites and they come in sorts of off sets and sizes. Point being if your thrifty you can score decent rims for like $400-$600 a pair on FB or eBay @ times. You don't have to get Draglites but Pro Stars Cragers and such are around the same money usually.

Buy a pair then look for the other end.Fronts are always cheaper and they can be polished to a Hendrix style finish very easily.  

Cheers Sly, I'll look into those... Fronts are the main thing, seeing as the brake kit will be here in a week, how quickly I can put it on depends on how quick I can get new fronts.

They look alright Bear. To be honest I'm a pretty big fan of a lot of the usual 14" wheels - Jellybeans, Hotwires, Globes, Slotters etc. They look good and more like a dealer fitted option (half of them probably were) instead of the big shiny obviously aftermarket stuff.

Sorry if this offends anyone but I'm going to say it anyway. LOL. Slotters belong on xw's and xy's and even then there are probably 1000 different wheels I'd put on them too before slotters. Sorry but just not a fan of em. I'll go get my flame suit on now before it starts to get to hot.LOL

Well since you put the suit on - They're an acquired taste I think... so maybe you should acquire some taste.

Kidding of course haha. Everyone likes different stuff I guess. Personally I actually hate most of the rims that people are happy to drop a couple of grand on, so maybe I'm weird.

LOL. Yeah definitely an acquired taste and although I'm not a fan they definitely aren't the ugliest wheel you could go with. Some of them poxy chrome 20's on the other hand.......

Old School rims on a old school car for the win personally.....

Dont like the modern wheels on old cars... Just looks wrong.

Just not enough dish. 

Grab some EF 15's for now and spend some time over the next few months on gumtree, something will turn up....

Thats how I got mine and what a bargain it was too.....

Rims for $200.... New tyres all round $450

20150214_114314_zps9rijofo4.jpg

Surprised Hendix hasnt tried to steal them.... lol