RAWDEAL

... And so begins a 5.4 Project

So i won this off of ebay 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-5-4-V8-SOHC-220kw-BA-BF-dead-petrol-engine-suit-reco-or-rebuild-cheap-/381268813135?&autorefresh=true

not even sure where to start with it . 

Ill prolly leave it in my shipping container untill the aussie dollar gets a bit stronger

Has anyone here toyed around with one of these or any 5.4 into an earlier car?

There is a thread on here of a bloke who fitted one into a XE I think it was. Have a search

Ahh yeah i saw that . more interested in the motor side of things .. i want to get it spinning a little quicker than factory

CAI, cam and extractors are good place to start. Bigger throttle body, injectors and under drive pulleys are also popular.

I had a quad cam 5.4 xr8 ute with only intake, cams and exhaust done and that pushed 380rwhp

CAI, cam and extractors are good place to start. Bigger throttle body, injectors and under drive pulleys are also popular.

I had a quad cam 5.4 xr8 ute with only intake, cams and exhaust done and that pushed 380rwhp

thats pretty good man! what do they push out in standard form? 

i will get it tuned and ill have to make extractors for it to fit into the engine bay anyways

i have not priced cams yet.. needs to be rebuilt so ill measure piston to valve clearances when i do and go from there

Might need good rods.... Long-stroke engine designed originally for a truck means rpm wasn't a priority. Chip and exhaust could easily bring these up to Boss 260 spec, with better bottom end torque. Valve springs are a bit poo from stock. Plenty of go-fast bits available from trick-flow, etc.

Fitting to an early falc probably needs strut conversion and tower notching kit. These are very wide engines like the DOHC versions.

Might need good rods.... Long-stroke engine designed originally for a truck means rpm wasn't a priority. Chip and exhaust could easily bring these up to Boss 260 spec, with better bottom end torque. Valve springs are a bit poo from stock. Plenty of go-fast bits available from trick-flow, etc.

Fitting to an early falc probably needs strut conversion and tower notching kit. These are very wide engines like the DOHC versions.

yeah ill have to get the measuring tape out to see what the go is with the dimensions (always easier to tell in real life , rather than a set of drawings)

Howcome people keep telling me these have better low end torque than a DOHC? shouldnt it be the other way around ? 

Got the engine today and took the rocker covers off

no fucking cam gears or phasers ?! ?! 

DOHC = big valve area, low velocity

SOHC = small.valve area, high velocity.

Although those engines still have 2 inlets like a DOHC so that theory really shouldn't apply. More likely the tune of the engine than anything.

Problem with the Boss motors was that by the time the heads started breathing properly, the long-stroke bottom end became the mechanical limit.

DOHC = big valve area, low velocity

SOHC = small.valve area, high velocity.

Although those engines still have 2 inlets like a DOHC so that theory really shouldn't apply. More likely the tune of the engine than anything.

Problem with the Boss motors was that by the time the heads started breathing properly, the long-stroke bottom end became the mechanical limit.

What did these rev out to in factory form? 

a good balance and aftermarket rods and pistons should see them revving fairly high? the OHC-type rocker and valve train setup should be good for a few revs? they are basically jesel-style shaft mount rockers from the factory

They are a small bore, long stroke (90.2 x 105.8), undersquare much like a 250 crossy but even more so. That's over 4" of stroke, more than a 400.

So whatever rpm constraints a crossy might have, these Barra 220s would be similar. I'd think a good limit to work with would be 6250, up from factory 5500 (I think). The highest rpm on a factory 5.4 was the Boss 315 at 6500. They'd have some quality bits in them I'd imagine.

They are a small bore, long stroke (90.2 x 105.8), undersquare much like a 250 crossy but even more so. That's over 4" of stroke, more than a 400.

So whatever rpm constraints a crossy might have, these Barra 220s would be similar. I'd think a good limit to work with would be 6250, up from factory 5500 (I think). The highest rpm on a factory 5.4 was the Boss 315 at 6500. They'd have some quality bits in them I'd imagine.

Yeah dunno about the crossflow comparison LOL . nearly everyone on this forum must sleep with a 250 crossflow on the other side of the bed at night

Although that is true they are a long stroked motor. but i dont think it couldnt mean they could do 7000+ reliably with a good bottom end ect. 408 clevos do it

It will be a while off , gotta wait for that damn us dollar to drop before i even think about ordering parts lol . 

nearly everyone on this forum must sleep with a 250 crossflow on the other side of the bed at night

Please stop looking in our windows please

I have crossflow, SOHC 4L, DOHC 4L, and Clevo all in my driveway/shed... And then a Windsor in a shed at my old man's... Hows that for a set of Falcon motors haha

I have crossflow, SOHC 4L, DOHC 4L, and Clevo all in my driveway/shed... And then a Windsor in a shed at my old man's... Hows that for a set of Falcon motors haha

Now now dont start a competition you cant win ;)

What no boost?

Not even a lil ol chev in a falcon?

Amateurs.

What no boost?

Not even a lil ol chev in a falcon?

Amateurs.

Don't forget about the diesel f truck

Lets just say i have bought a 20ft container to store engine stuff in lol