So in regards to head work:

Aftermarket springs already fitted

Valves are a good size already

I'm asking for:

5 angle valve grind

Port and Polish

Head shave to 49cc (?)

Sound about right?

Dumb question of the day - am I better off just cleaning it up and giving it to the machinist with everything still on there (valves, lifters etc) or should I take it apart?

Turns out work this weekend has been moved to next weekend so I'm off the hook there. Plenty of time to go shopping. Going off what Ando just said does that mean I should look for pistons that go with the planned head shave to 49cc?

:)

back on topic, don't ask for a 5 angle valve job, ask what valve jobs they do and ask for pricing, sometimes they hear 5 angle valve job they just charge you double , don't ask for polishing, why pay $80/hour for someone to do it when you can do it yourself? are you expected to make more than 300hp? if not do the porting yourself! the money you spend on them doing it you can  buy tools, buy good tools and you have them for life. Buy a 2nd hand head and try your skills on that, who cares if you fuck it up? try different things you got 5 ports! then get each port flowed and compare them to the 6th one which you did not touch you will see what works and replicate that to your head

I might be going off tangent there but I try not hand over cash for something I can do myself, not because i'm a tight arse but because I like the satisfaction I get from doing it and learning along with seeing the results. You will be surprised how much workshops charge for basic stuff! they will charge you $100 to undress your head and clean it etc. you can use that $100 to take your GF/Nopics out and get a HJ/root banked in :)

I'll gladly follow that advice. I prefer to do stuff myself as well if I can... Just wasn't sure I'd be able to do all that. Willing to have a crack at it if it's not impossible though. I'd rather spend the money on tools and do it myself.

Don't really have access to a flow bench though.

I worked on my own head in preperation for the hydraulic cam engine I was going to run. I have no doubt that it is not even between the different runners especially in the area under the seat. Happy to take some pics as it just sitting in my shed, I was going to use a 225@50 cam so its pretty close to what your doing.

3 more hrs left on that auction... Better decide soon.

I take it you reckon it's worth picking up?

Out of curiosity how much better is the aussiespeed one?

Head bolts I was gonna order, unless anyone has a particular set they recommend.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-250-200-4-1-3-3-LITRE-CROSSFLOW-CYLINDER-HEAD-BOLT-SET-NASON-NHBS535-/161608036789?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item25a096f1b5

Still looking for a rollermaster timing set.

Good enough for me then. Will buy it.

Still, not exactly sure which carb is going on there yet - 465 Holley, 525 Demon, 44mm Weber IDF have all been suggested so far...

Camtech CT142 528(a) - 230 degrees @ 50 thou cam

10:1 Compression

Rest of the build is up there already... Just making sure I don't drop 250 bucks on a 4 barrel manifold for someone to turn around and tell me I'll over-carb it and to run a 2 barrel carb next week. I found a 2 Barrel Redline Torker in melbourne for 125 + 10 bucks or something postage if that's the case.

But if I want the 4 barrel one I need to decide soon. Either one is less than I'd budgeted for a manifold originally anyway.

Also - timing set. Free postage from perth. 90 bucks.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ROLLMASTER-JP5974-TIMING-GEAR-SET-FORD-6CYL-200-250-3-3-4-1EFI-/321559545501?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4ade71469d

Was this the one everyone was talking about? Seems like a different part number than the one from highperformance world.

If that's no bueno I'll just give that place Slydog suggested a call.

ROCS3170 is the part number for the Rollmaster double row.  $149 odd delivered from a mob in WA on ebay.  I've bought a couple from them.  good service.

That is a crap JP unit and not multi key way

ROCS3170 is the part number for the Rollmaster double row.  $149 odd delivered from a mob in WA on ebay.  I've bought a couple from them.  good service.

That is a crap JP unit and not multi key way

Sweet, thanks.

Now, just need to figure out whether I'm getting the 4 barrel manifold or not. I've pretty much thrown any notion of fuel economy out of the window anyway.

If you are going to spend the coin on a four barrel buy a good one straight up.  That Redline is the same as the old Cain and they have a huge plenum.  Good if you have a cylinder head and cam package that warrant it, which you don't.

If it were me and you had the budget go the Aussiespeed.  Way better distribution and a better plenum design on the current four barrel. 

'

PM if you decide to go with Aussiespeed as I may be able to assist you with the purchase of a new one. I have two Cain 4 barrels here in a pile in the shed.  Aussiespeed 4 barrel is fitted to my burnout ute.  I think you can work that out.

Just ordered the timing set then, same place you recommended in WA.

Can't argue with it if it's on the ute Ando :P. Wanted an Aussiespeed originally anyway, only considered Redline since I saw a couple of cheap ones.

I think it's about time to make a final decision on which Cam and Carb I'm using. Want to have all of it ordered by Monday. If no-one has a better suggestion for a cam than the current one (which I've seen recommended a few times around the place...) then that's the one I'll order.

http://www.camtechcams.com.au/ford_6cyl_xflow_hyd.html

Looking at a build Slydog posted a few pages back - Similar cam specs with a 600 holley. In fact that entire build is pretty similar to what I came up with in the end...

A 600 is a bit big for the cam and use that you have suggested, bit bigger carb and primarily for drag racing and it is a different story. A 465 will give up very little on a 600 up until 5,250rpm.

4brl is worth the extra cash unless you only ever drive between 2500 and 4000rpm in which case a 500 Holley will be just as good. Above and below that a vac secondary 4brl will be better.

Plenum volume on an Aussiespeed is pretty big too when you consider that a large part of their big fat runners is more or less doing what a plenum does.

I'll keep that in mind...

I will go the 4 barrel then. Will probably still stick with the Aussiespeed unless someone has a better suggestion. 465 is starting to sound like the go. Out of curiosity would there be any advantage of using a carb with a mechanical over a vac secondary?

Those edelbrock carbs are good but tuning them is a pain unless you have all the rods etc etc.  I know more people with collections of Holley jets than I do with rods etc for Edelbrock.  I'm sure they are good carbs and I have seen people get good results from them but hmm they seem a pain to me.

Matt the new aussiespeed four barrel like I use on the ute has a much smaller plenum than the CAIN  or redline and it has a better shape on the outboard side of the manifold.  there is also the option of a plenum pig should your head and cam be not up to the task but I would think it is.

the runner design of the aussiespeed is far superior to the CAIN as well - particularly at the port face.  Just don't 'port match' it like some people do as you will fek it for sure. 

I have both manifolds and I can tell you that whilst they look the same on the outside they are very different on the inside and they flow test differently as well. 

But hey each to their own and I know other people that have had success with the cain's.  I guess it is up to personal preference.

Good info Ando.

Yes, I am aware of the difference, just saying it is not as big as it may at first seem (equivalent plenum volume that is). They are a pretty massive dam on the old Redlines though. Pig a Redline (something I yave thought about, but have not done)?

For an extra 200 odd bucks I may as well get the good one... Spent more than that on alcohol last weekend so can't really get stingy with go faster bits. :P

I'm leaning towards a 465 Holley unless anyone else has some suggestions. Has the added bonus that my old man has a fair bit of experience with them apparently and can help me set it up right.