Nath

Crossflow Build Advice

The cam is a Crow Custom grind that was done for a hot streeter.  I looked at the figures and I think it will suit the application and the budget. 

You just have to keep in mind that you are building a combination - not just a camshaft.  It all has to work together.  get one piece wrong and it will be a pig for sure. 

I really like that old combo of Jason's and I think it is what Nathan wants.  That is the thing - you have to decide exactly what you want your engine to do and then build it with all the right components and within budget.  Not an easy task sometimes.

When I was planning my windsor build I went straight to the fox body era mustang forums and got great info from people with proven "recipes" for the sbf.

So my advice is listen to what the guys have built and proven to work well for the crossie, saves your own trial and era.

Looks like Ando has it covered. Good stuff.

Nath, better close this thread and start a build thread so you can be someone who has done too.

Waiting for parts, but once I've collected everything then I will.

First question will probably be "Hey guys, reckon it'll be alright to use a 12 point socket with a 3/8 ratchet handle to tension the head bolts"? :ph34r:

Looks like Ando has it covered. Good stuff.

Nath, better close this thread and start a build thread so you can be someone who has done too.

Waiting for parts, but once I've collected everything then I will.

First question will probably be "Hey guys, reckon it'll be alright to use a 12 point socket with a 3/8 ratchet handle to tension the head bolts"? :ph34r:

Nah just a rattle gun, like James used on his 9 second cortina, handles 55 psi.

Was just browsing Ebay for some spares and found this...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-T5-Short-Rip-Shifter-Manual-Falcon-XA-XB-XC-XD-XE-XF-EA-EB-ED-EF-EL-AU-BA-/331522957720?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4d304ee198Ne

Never had any experience with them so can't comment. You guys reckon it'd be worthwhile?

Yeah looks good, they normally go for hundreds. Might want to mod it a bit further and tilt the stick toward the driver, as falcons are a wide car and first/second can be a bit of a reach.

Says it came from USA but really could have come via there from China. Who knows... It might be ok.

BTW a Crow 770 grind is 214/226 @ 0.050" on a 111 LSA. Lift at valve is 0.507" inlet, 0.514" exhaust on a 1.73 rocker (I calculated this out, as the catalogue lists lobe lift only, and that grind could go into any engine with any rocker ratio).

So will be quite streetable with maybe a tiny bit of an idle.

Was just browsing Ebay for some spares and found this...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-T5-Short-Rip-Shifter-Manual-Falcon-XA-XB-XC-XD-XE-XF-EA-EB-ED-EF-EL-AU-BA-/331522957720?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4d304ee198Ne

Never had any experience with them so can't comment. You guys reckon it'd be worthwhile?

Yeah I would pass on that one and spend a bit more for a proper used one. If you click on the sellers other items they are selling knock off ford badges which sparky dave has already posted a thread on as the guy is trying to pass them off as NOS, so I would bet all the money you have that the shifter is a fake. Plus why would you put the price so cheap when the bolts alone would be $50

i have one of those sort of shifters in my xf ute daily driver,  did not bother with that offset lever part, just used standard lever with a D1 weighted shifter nob.

Yeah I would pass on that one and spend a bit more for a proper used one. If you click on the sellers other items they are selling knock off ford badges which sparky dave has already posted a thread on as the guy is trying to pass them off as NOS, so I would bet all the money you have that the shifter is a fake. Plus why would you put the price so cheap when the bolts alone would be $50

Good spot.

Won't be too far off with a Camtech 270 degree solid.

jxqv0.jpg

Dude that's fucking bullshit, sounds better than most v8s.

That's the one Gerg.  Spot on I reckon.  Not overly huge and with the slightly ported head - a bit of comp - I think it will be on the money. 

You could go bigger but for the price I reckon it will do the job and be good thing. 

Looks like the crossflow fairy has been for a visit while I was away... Must be a strong bastard, engine blocks are pretty heavy.

20150503_194958_zpsfaeyjvdo.jpg

20150503_194541_zpsveq5z0pt.jpg

Gonna be away most of the week but I will see if I can order a bunch of stuff and figure out a plan for the machining before I leave so it will hopefully be here by the time I get back. Hope you guys don't mind the inevitable "in way over my head but trying to fumble through it" questions :D

Potentially stupid question... Looking for parts.

Had a look at the ACL website and they sell whole rebuild kits. Looks like you can mix and match bits for the desired application as well. Anyone used these and recommends them? Can't really find a price on there though which is a little ominous.

Made some more inquiries. I know ACL doesn't make stuff anymore but it's not what you know it's who you know :P

I can get my hands on an ACL rebuild kit for around 500 bucks. Not entirely sure (guy was unclear to my mate on the phone) but I think he said they only had pistons to suit 60 thou...using 200 rods. So there is a chance that I could be the luckiest son of a bitch ever. 60 thou was more than I was intending but I guess I have to roll with what I can get my hands on.

Need a list of part numbers to bring to them for the specs I want.

http://www.aclperformance.com.au/EU/tech_er_kits.htm

I was gonna use 9412xxx2 (xxx is the variable parts). If anyone knows what bearing sets out of those offered I will need that'd be massively helpful as I don't want to order the wrong ones.

I need to give the guy a call back and get an exact part number for the pistons though so I know what I'm working with, which is what I'm about to do now.

Any advice on which bearing sets to grab would be helpful. If I can put my order in today before I leave I should have it by next week.