ando76

The Mad Scientist Crossflow

Looking better than the last I saw of it. Nice work. Do I book now for a ride once she's up and running so you can show me what a proper crossie is capable of?

image.jpg

And in the hole. Very happy to see the MSC finally in it's home. Craig gave the wiring a bit of a tidy and from that perspective she is ready to fire. Not going to happen for awhile yet as I decided to move the cab rear wall back while I'm going. The extra room will come in handy. Once that's done and welded in I can reinstall the fuel tank and dash and we will see what happens.

Getting closer by the day.

image.jpg

Rear head board modification almost sorted. Decided to use the original material even tho it had some big dents from stuff moving around in its tray. Like most Utes, the tub has had a hard life. This will give me a heap more room.

image.jpg

Also got the radiator moved forward and down to allow room for the blower pulley and belt. I moved the lower brackets forward by re-drilling the holes and slots. Then I levered them down. This allowed the top of the radiator to tuck below the fold on the radiator support. Couple of bolts through some existing holes into the top flange of the radiator with rubber washers to dampen. I'm going to make a custom alloy shroud and mount some after market thermos to it. Tried the Ef style thermos and just could get them close enough to allow room for the blower belt.

The big yellow ruler in the photo is 50mm wide and the pulley and belt is only 32mm so plenty.

Its a good mod to do on them utes. I put my helmet and stuff behind the drivers seat. Just wish I built a roll bar in while I had it all apart ;)

So blower is blow thru or suck thru ?

The lower radiator mounts on my XE were bending quite easy when I was looking at moving my radiator forward. Do you know if the XF ones are thicker/stronger? I was worried the brackets would give way under the weight of the full radiator and bouncing vehicle.

Rob - Old school suck through mate. Eaton m90 blower is what I'm using. Carb gets mounted to a new cast alloy mount that mates to the original tb attachment point. They do a Weiand 144 blower as well but the carb mounts on top, like a traditional 6/71 or 8/71 blower.

Ryan - I actually stood on my mounts to get them to bend down a fraction. I'm over 100 kegs so I'm thinking that a full radiator, spread over 2 mounts will not cause an issue.

Mntl - me too. It's been a long time coming and I'm actually looking forward to it firing and then documenting, for you all, the result of the various upgrades I have planned.

Cheap as chips. I paid $100 for mine and in reality it's probably all its worth. I'll redo all the bearings etc so that will add to the cost. The kit has a new gear case, snout and driveshaft. Not sure on the pricing of them but I don't expect that it will be beer money. The price of wanting something a little different I guess.

I did the same thing to my mounts, I ended up cutting and shutting them about 20mm I think. As long as your not in a hurry to take off your radiator cap it works perfect. Keep up the good work.

Ryan - I actually stood on my mounts to get them to bend down a fraction. I'm over 100 kegs so I'm thinking that a full radiator, spread over 2 mounts will not cause an issue.

Wow I could flex the lower mounts just be hand, I actually lifted the driver side a couple of mm's just using my hands. The xe mounts looked like 1.6mm thick at best.

image.jpg

Some small progress in here. Managed to get the top half of the engine bay, plenum and windscreen surround and roof into colour. Going to be working on the tray next week.

It's starting to look like a ute now. I've finished the mod to the area behind the seats and made the fuel tank cover hinged. Forgot to get photos of the finished mod, but I'll make sure I add them next week.

Really need to get the ute done so I can move onto THOR and some other stuff.

ando76 I don't post often but I'm following this.. Got an 89 xf van parked in the shed since Jan 15.. been driving a 98 xh van since then. Miss the old girl.. my brother in law (Ford mechanic/ tragic) set it up for dual fuel years ago with extra rear leaves, rear sway bar, heavy front bar and springs. so it handled, load or no load (a bit firm empty) but damn it handled. And stopped..The xh on the other hand has to think about the stopping bit.. and what's this One Tonne sh#t ? I had to learn how to drive a loaded vehicle all over again.. back end sitting down under load and trying to steer the front at 100ks . Ok so the extra grunt IS good, but not when you can't stop or handle.. had a couple of hair greying moments at first.. now I plan ahead..                                                                          Ok I'm good now. My point is I do miss the old van. I definitely have that crossflow disease thingy.. keep it up. vanJack.

Cheers mate. Good to know I'm not the only one out there with a crossflow problem. I've been plugging away on the ute but nothing really exciting to broadcast. .I'm finished the very labour intensive and not very exciting process of prepping the tray for a bit of stone guard.

Once it's all done and pretty I'll post up some photos. It's not really that pretty as the tray has coped a flogging in its previous life and I'm only going to add to that with the engines and crap that this thing will haul. So it is what it is. It will look nice once the tonneau cov goes on.

I'm focused on getting the main 'tub' all done and painted so I can re-install the tank, dash and exhaust, get the hood lining installed so the glass can go in and then I can actually fire the MSC up. Yahoo. Been a bloody long time coming.

Life and work have not been giving me much time of late. Too busy working in other people's stuff and not getting enough time on mine. Seems to be a pretty common thing. Anyway, many months ago I got the tray sorted.

image.jpg

image.jpg

As you can see it is in stone guard. I used septone water based stuff over the top of 2 pack undercoat. Once the stone guard was dry I covered the main part of the tray in some left over red from the skid car. I carried the stone guard over the edge of the tray to help protect the tops and sides. The sides can get rubbed by the tonneau so this should help. I painted the sides and top in Monza red. Bit of mucking around but it will save time in the long run.

Keen eyes will spot the hinged fuel tank cover. I used some hinges from Bunnings that were nice and flat and fitted between the ribs. I welded them to the tank cover and then bolted them thru the rear headboard, but only after welding in a 3mm load bearing plate on the inside.

I also converted it over to twin tonneau bows, like the later model ones. A small detail that should make like easier in the fnq wet season.

Also got the new rear boots sorted. 235/60/16's. I wanted a big sidewall and a bit of width. It's a pretty tall tyre so the 2.92 LSD xd v8 diff had to go.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I put in an XG 3.23 LSD diff and the old wagon springs from the skid car. I flipped the lower leaf when they went into the skid car. The wagon springs gave it a 1" drop. I think it will sit better once the tank and tailgate go back on. I can always add some blocks if it doesn't. Gotta be mindful that this is a work ute that will see tow duties most of the time so sensible ride height is a must.

Hoping to get some more time on the old girl soon.

I would expect it to. Despite being water based the septone stuff dries good and hard. I'm using straight colour so no clear and by the time I'm finished that top section will have a fair few coats on.