Mr Polson

Strange Water Leak

So the ute (XF carb xflow) has been sitting for a few weeks, started it up today and drove it, noticed when checking oil/water after driving it water was dripping onto the fuel pump?

Never seen this before, wasn't leaking before being parked up. It's coming from like straight under the carb area of the manifold onto the fuel pump. Can't really fit my head there to look.

Only thing I can think of is cracked manifold?

Could be.

I'm gonna be captain obvious here and suggest it could maybe be a loose hose clamp or something on one of the water passage fittings on the manifold?

If you think it's coming from the manifold itself you can always just drain it and block the water passage off as a temporary fix. I did that to mine to try and keep the manifold cooler and I've had no problems with it.

Just used some of that dynasteel putty and blocked up the brass fittings.

Yeah one of the brass fitting might have a small crack and the heat from the drive opened it up. Need to be careful on those brass fitting in the manifold as the xe I bought the owner didn't know how bad the leak was, it let go and he ran the engine dry. I have just had to use 2 bottles of chemiweld to seal it back up it's so bad.

Dont think it's a fitting or hose as its sorta coming from the head side of the manifold.

Starting to wonder if it's a cracked head. Must be pretty bad, done a 15 - 20 km drive and used a half a radiator worth of water.

i've had the welsh plug in the manifold let go once, its between the head and manifold near carby on the carby manifold(assuming its still carby)

you will need to remove the manifold to get at it... or do what i did and bypass all water going through the manifold

From what I've noticed a lot of the time water leaks have a habit of dripping halfway across the engine bay from where they actually started.

If you've got none of the other symptoms of a rooted head (hehe) then I'd say just drain and block or bypass the manifold water passage off and see if it makes a difference.

i've had the welsh plug in the manifold let go once, its between the head and manifold near carby on the carby manifold(assuming its still carby)

you will need to remove the manifold to get at it... or do what i did and bypass all water going through the manifold

Didn't even know there was a Welch plug there. Hopefully that's it, would be easy fix. Would make sense given where water is leaking.

From what I've noticed a lot of the time water leaks have a habit of dripping halfway across the engine bay from where they actually started.

If you've got none of the other symptoms of a rooted head (hehe) then I'd say just drain and block or bypass the manifold water passage off and see if it makes a difference.

It has below minimum compression on all 6 cyl, uses oil, uses water (normally a lot slower than this). Will try bypassing the manifold though.

this one

found the pic on google images, thanks stumper5

Glad you found a pic because I never even knew there was one there haha

Water or coolant?

Im also going to be cpt obvious, have you looked at your oil to make sure you havent blown a head gasket.

Water, because that's what is in the radiator haha.

And no, I haven't. Yet.

Been away for the weekend so will have a look now that I'm back.

Water, because that's what is in the radiator haha.

i think coolant is relatively important for its corrosion inhibitors, antifreeze is probably handy too as i think that might be why my headgasket blew in Tassie in May 2013. definitely got down to freezing overnight. i did have coolant in for that trip though.

It used to run coolant but it's been slowly leaking plus I never put more coolant in when I done the heater hoses a few months ago.

You were spot on btw, it's that Welch plug.

6fb2b6af49db6d6b8a8c886de2ce3586.jpg

f95ee350f990f92d15c3b91c75f5ed10.jpg

Been leaking a while?

d6e30dda0958c99e05e55c5f8ebe4ee5.jpg

yeah prick of a spot, but no where near as bad as the one that goes behind the flywheel(aka the first one i change to brass if i do a gearbox off or motor out)

probably should make up a list one day of things you should get around to checking on your ozfalcon..

might go something like

1. look for headgasket leaks

2. check for rusty water marks indicating welsh plug leaks.

3. align the doors properly so the door handles dont break

4 etc.. etc. lol

(i sold My first XE S pack because it was leaking water from the welsh plug behind the flywheel..i was over its weekly issues. should have kept it, was a good example of one.)