XTREME KARTS XF

302c wont kick into life

Fella's im in need of some help here,

As the title saids the 302 i've just put into my XD wont kick into life. I tried setting the distributor position to TDC on cyl n0.1 on the balancer, cough's and sputters when you try to advance it, even took the left bank (driver side) rocker cover off and tried setting it by the rocker arms in there "rocking" position.

The distributor was working in the 302 that was in the wagon, even tried using the coil off the wagons motor. The wagon is an XE so electric ignition.

What could the issue be? Spun balancer? Timing chain skipped a tooth?

Is it 180 degrees out? I put a mini extension bar with tape around it and shove it in the spark plug hole and crank it. And when it goes flying I know I got top dead center on the compression stroke. I might be a dick for doing that but it works.

Tried advancing it further? Pull it out and bring it a few teeth around. If it gets closer to starting you are on the right track.

When i move it clockwise to advance it the vacuum canister hits the thermostat housing and when moved anti clockwise the module cover touchs the manifold.

When i move it clockwise to advance it the vacuum canister hits the thermostat housing and when moved anti clockwise the module cover touchs the manifold.

. Take it out n move it back a gear

I had a very similar issue once, my issue was I got so shitty I couldn't see the Forrest for the trees. I didn't have any gas....

Mark, I think NZXD maybe on to something? Worth just checking, stranger a things have happen before

I'm not taking the piss, but it did my head in, changed plugs, checked leads, dizzy, coil, firing order. It would sort of pop here and there, then changed fuel filter and it was empty. Went to check gauge and on empty, put a few litres in the tank and bam, started! I'd spent so long fucking around and swearing.

Ok we need to back track to the basics again. It has fuel, spark and compression, so it should fire. Your method of finding TDC #1 should be #6 rocking, or alternately, find #1 rocking and wind her over a full revolution to get TDC #1 compression. Even if you set it to 0 TDC, it should run ok, maybe a bit hairy.

To establish a healthy spark, I like to take the dizzy cap off, and rotate the rotor back and forth on the advance springs to trigger the coil. Make sure your trigger wheel lines up with the teeth on the induction wheel. I pull the coil lead off the dizzy cap end and test the spark to earth about 1/2" off while rotating the rotor. Once you've established you've got spark, tip a bit of fuel down the carby to prime the intake. Should fire for a few seconds at least.

you can also advance the timing by a whole heap by moving the plug leads on the cap one position around, i did that recently(2 places on a 4cyl magna as it was 180 degrees out.)

you do have the leads correct as per firing order?

you can also advance the timing by a whole heap by moving the plug leads on the cap one position around, i did that recently(2 places on a 4cyl magna as it was 180 degrees out.)

you do have the leads correct as per firing order?

Yes, 13726548 anti clockwise for distributor rotation

Yep, this....

(If vacuum advance hits thermo housing.)  Then make sure No.1 lines up with lead, rotor, induction ring, balancer on 6-8 degrees.

I'll give it a shot.

Where should the vac advance be connected to? Ported vacuum or full manifold vacuum? Running the 600 Holley for now till i install the thermoquad for deni ute muster.

Might not be anything like your problem Mark but when I went to fire mine up for the first time it wouldn't. I didn't realise that the dissy in the motor I had required a separate ignition module. It was a hall effect not a electronic one or points....

ok, get a multimeter see if you have 12v coming from ignition switch to coil, if you have less than 12 that could be your issue

next up; timing light, see where the firing is happening, make sure you can see the marks on the balancer, if you can't, sand the balancer find 0 and 10 btdc (will have marks cast in) get white out, mark with whiteout (marker), assuming your balancer hasn't slipped (probably has tbh) that will give you an accurate timing pointer on the crank.

if you cant see 0 when it fires, dizzy is 180 out or the timing is crazily advanced/retarded

if thats not the issue, the motor may have a stripped timing chain (common issue on clevelands)

i am of course assuming you have checked to make sure you have proper earths etc and have spark at the plug

block all vaccum ports for the moment just untill its fired, just hook the booster up to the back of the carby. leave the rest blocked off.

Where should the vac advance be connected to? Ported vacuum or full manifold vacuum? Running the 600 Holley for now till i install the thermoquad for deni ute muster.

Not 100% sure, reckon mine was into a small brass port, sticking out the base of the carby. So, full vacuum but through a small orifice.

Alright it was going yesterday, was out by 1 tooth.

Now it was idling fine in the shed then she started to miss then stalled. Cracked over a few times before it fired up again but still had a miss, now it wont turn over on the key so im thinking that the neutral safety switch is out of adjustment. Tried starting it in park and neutral but nothing.

After letting it cool down and moving the column selecter around abit it cranked but i now think that the carby might have a sticky needle and seat as well.

I'll check for spark and see how strong it is, if its weak i'll replace the coil.