Sign in to follow this  
guerin92

351 Cleveland in a ZL fairlane 1985 carby

Hey guys just doing a bit more research on what im trying to do does anybody now if a fairly standard 351 Cleveland in a ZL Fairlane would pass these and if so how????

A carbon canister must be fitted, operational and connected to the fuel tank and induction system.

The vehicle must also be fitted with sealed engine rocker cover(s), regardless of engine fitted, vented via the engine's induction system.

Vehicles must not emit more than 4.5% carbon monoxide and 250 parts per million of hydrocarbons at engine idle speed.Per ADR 27A, vehicles must not emit more than 2.5% carbon monoxide and 250 parts per million of hydrocarbons at engine idle speed.

^^What he said and you may have to go a dedicated LPG setup to be able to run the Clevo. An alternative is an AU XR8 5 litre which would give similar performance and be easier to engineer with better economy.

YES.....WE DO !

ZK/ZJ, XD/XE, (and XA/B/C ZC/D XR/T XW/Y etc), all came out with a V8 as an option. Use one of them, and fit a ZL front clip. Jobs done !

Chassis rails, coil springs, brake rotors etc etc all designed to cope with a V8. Otherwise..........engineers slip. (and $$$$$)

The ZL is identical to ZJ and ZK (bar hanging panels and lights) why would I need chassis rails designed to cope when there the same as a zj an k? and its alread disc brake rear 225mm rotors which is one requirement, v8 springs are cheap enough change the sway bar to a v8 and it'd the same as a zj/k?? Im confused?

Changing bodys now would be a nightmare its already a perfect shell sandblasted and no rust except for in wheel archs.. which is half repaired :$

I thought regardless of what emissions it made, it had to start out as an ADR-compliant engine equal to or better than what's on the vehicle's compliance. Otherwise you could put a Clevo in a BA falcs and if you could get it to run clean enough, no probs. I highly doubt that.

The ZL is identical to ZJ and ZK (bar hanging panels and lights) why would I need chassis rails designed to cope when there the same as a zj an k? and its alread disc brake rear 225mm rotors which is one requirement, v8 springs are cheap enough change the sway bar to a v8 and it'd the same as a zj/k?? Im confused?

The ZL isnt identical,ZJ is leaf sprung rear end.

I also heard that on xf's they need welding in the engine bay for strengthening....I'm not 100 percent sure on this would need to clarify with an engineer.

As mentioned before i would drop in an efi windsor and an auto,best of both worlds,V8 sound and great economy.

In SA, you WONT pass a Clevo in an E series. (without engineering). Simply put, Vehicle Inspection Centre will not allow an older engine in a newer body.

You can put a Barra donk, in an XA though......

Stoopid fookin granny state, full of tree hugging do-gooders, with nuffin better to do, buch of puke breath, puss lickin' mutha .................

.......Ooooooh look, a squirrel.

So long story short you can legally put a 351 Cleveland into a xf/zl aslong as its disc break rear 225mm x24mm minimum and its stock stroke 302=3inches and 351=3.5inches thats all in South Australia anyway.. so thats what im doing :)

Its classed as a category 2 engine change. Im talking with an engineer about it at the moment im not trying to be rude but I think he would know what is and isnt aloud after all it is his job to know lol

Alot of people carry out this mod a feww people get it passed somehow? To many people have done this conversion spend alot of money doing it being told it is possible and hit a brick wall, end up not getting rego. If I can give any advise put a v8 in it , but a late model winsor know rego issues. And no firewall mods with heater hoses etc.

Page 23: look at modifications not covered under LA2

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/pdf/NCOP3_Section_LA_Engine_01jan2011_v3.pdf

MODIFICATIONS NOT COVERED UNDER CODE LA2The following is a summary of the modifications that may not be performed under Code LA2: Fitting of a replacement engine that does not comply with the applicable ADRs;

Your ADR relating to emissions, ADR 27C, came into effect for passenger cars after 1/83, incidentally the date after which the Cleveland V8 was no longer fitted to Falcons.

Page 39 (in the table)

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/pdf/NCOP10_Section_LO_ADRs_ICVs_1Jan2011_v2.pdf

So sifting through this mess, you can see that for use on public roads, your engine choice is technically not legal for that car.

Must go to an engineer first to do this in this car

You will need to pass emissions, lane change and torsion test

Will cost 2.5 to 4 depending on the engineer

Edit: You might need cats depending if its an '85 car or '86

This is slightly off topic;

My ZK is an 82 build. They were available with the Cleveland. Its a carby 250.

What is the process for changing the rego details in SA if I fit a Clevo?

I'm aware of the age of engine vs age of car rule, but will they actually know from the engine number?

Just inspection for engine number change or more involved?

I wouldn't bother if it will need original carby/manifold/air cleaner/emissions etc.

On a similar note would I have any luck passing a roller windsor with a carby on it?

This is slightly off topic;

My ZK is an 82 build. They were available with the Cleveland. Its a carby 250.

What is the process for changing the rego details in SA if I fit a Clevo?

I'm aware of the age of engine vs age of car rule, but will they actually know from the engine number?

Just inspection for engine number change or more involved?

I wouldn't bother if it will need original carby/manifold/air cleaner/emissions etc.

On a similar note would I have any luck passing a roller windsor with a carby on it?

Thats an engineer job, as long as all the other v8 gear and suspension goes on its not a prob to pass

Only catch is you need to pay the money to get it done...

Then your rego papers will have the v8 number recorded

Good idea to get it done cos if anyone with a car with major mods (and not passed) is in a prang (especially a big one with lawyers) insurance may be void

Here's what I do in SA.

Transfer rego with original papers, 6 cylinder, or whatever. The enigne number/chassis numbers MUST match what the rego division has on their computer. Otherwise its Regency Pk. Trailer the vehicle out of town, say, visit your 'mate' in Pt Pirie, and get the local cops to verify the numbers and fill out the form. (think it's an MR27 and about $50). They check for stolen/warrants etc.........All cleared, you can now rego it for 3 months.

Wait a month and go in to Rego and fill out an engine swap form. Just paperwork.

Gawler is now classed as "Metro" so, all vehicles taken to the constabulary here, must go thru Regency.

So the engine swap form includes an option for going from 6 to 8?

I can rego it as is no worries. I think I have the old papers. The engine has been swapped but it was regoed.

What was different on a ZK from 6 to 8 in regards to suspension and brakes? It already has discs at the rear.

Sounds like more effort than its worth. Still have to build a tough motor anyway, not like a standard clevo is fast. Maybe a tough 6 is the go. Never had one!