XFGHIA747

393 clevo exhaust ideas.

hey guys as some might know im putting a 393 stroker clevo in the ghia now and not the barra due to cost availability and what i already have in the shed,

just would love some ideas on what size exhaust and what sort of systems from extractors back you have used or seen, weather to go twin to back or single

was thinking just for the rego put the standard system of the xd on there and i was concidering after rego twin 2.5in or 3in one muffer each side dumped before the diff, seen a xe esp the had this and 383 once sounded sex, but im unsure weather is had a balance pipe across the two??

any ideas and photos would be great thanks guys,

im planing of making the system myself so will be mandrel bending/ no bent pipe. 

Supposed to be a serious drone issue when ending the pipes under the car? May be annoying after a while, dont know. I am waiting on a pair of exhaust inserts from Spiral Turbo Specialties, these things go inside your exhaust pipe at the end where it exits the car and are used in place of Mufflers with performance gains as well :)

I built my own system for my Supra and the back muffler finished just before the end of back bumper. It was pretty annoying and had a bad resonance from 2-2.5k rpm. I fixed it with a tip to extend it just past the end of the bumper and it made a big difference and that's a turbo car with 2 straight through mufflers.

I can't imagine how loud and nauseating it would be dumping at the diff with a big angry N/A v8 especially on the freeway ,not to mention the toxic fumes coming into the car. Unless it was a drag car I'd be going all the way to the back. Also are you running a fuel cell so you can have dual exhausts?

Mmm.. good input guys thats something for me to think of no i dont have a fuel sell and being the ghia its got the 75l tank so no room pass side for pipe either so looks like out the back how much can i fit next to spare wheel arch?

Dumped pipes are cool for the first drive after that they will annoy the shit out of you. They resonate through the car blow dust and shit out from underneath as soon as you steer off the black stuff and imo have a ordinary note compared to a nicely done full system.

Seriously couldn't give the smallest fuck about drone or any other noise issue with running dumped systems.
ILIED ran for two years with just extractors and dumpers (so it wouldn't burn the floor). Loved it. Never got sick of it. The furthest I travelled was about 100km in one go, but that was awesome.

My F100 is a 410 with CHIs and a Comp 280H cam. Has tri-Ys and finishes at 2.5", has a balance pipe just after the Transfercase then about 6" after that the "muffler system" starts.
First I tried two 18" long hotdogs. Was loud as fuck, sounded angry. But messy on idle-3000rpm, after that it was awesome.
Then I tried two straight through mufflers. It was basically a typical muffler to look at, but it had a perforated tube that entered on one side on one end and exited in the center at the other end. Sounded much neater. Didn't really muffle the noise too much, but it took the edge off the high-end noise. Still was WAY above the legal limit.
Currently, I'm running two baffled mufflers. They are just cheap ones I got from the local joint. I don't know what's inside but ya cant see through them. It's still loud as fuck, so I tested it. It's 92db on idle and 111db with the limiter set at 5000. Nothing after them. They just exit under my tub. There's no drone or noise that shits me with it. Just gotta be gentle on the button around town

Yeah twin systems with tail pipes, heres some pics of a couple of XE ESP's done by Best mufflers

http://www.bestmufflers.com/bshop/Custom_Exhaust_Systems/Ford_XE_ESP_Twin_System.htm

http://www.bestmufflers.com/Information/Custom%20Systems/custom_exhaust_system_ford_xe_esp2.htm

Twin 2.5" with Hooker aerochambers (nice deep note) and 2.5" twin tail pipes should be alright.

ford man thanks for the link mate i do like the look of this system i would love to here the sound of it!! any chance there is a link to listen ?? iv tryed looking but cant find anything. 

Man they look close to the spare wheel well and the tank? Any rattles? I  thought they could go one over the other as they come under the boot area and curve down at the bumper or merge into a big tip maybe? 

yeah there close but if the secured properly then they should be right, well i rang them there $2200 for fuel system in mufflers the lot so reasonabley priced id say.

If running a crossover, there's no real need to run a dual system after that, as you've effectively merged them from that point on. If clearance is tight, I'd go a single 3" after the mufflers. Cheaper and much simpler.

Don't get me wrong, I love a dual system above anything else but practicality should win over all.

Yeah im not sure its a twin 3in till diff the twin two and half out back do you think that will be right rob ?? Did you see the link above on the esp ?

I know Dion used a well designed single 3"and still ran 10's. Even if you run a new style x pipe for extra scavenging and a twin 3"into a single 3.5" over the diff.Just saying it's ALOT of engine pules to get rid of and new design seems to support stepped exhausts with merge collectors and or x pipes and as Nascar like to use em safe to say a tuff street car could benefit aswell.

yeah good point rob i will have to go some calculating on engine/ cyclinder volume x conbustion to exhaust volume maybe? 

wheres ando's two sence worth ?? haha  :P all the more opinions the better for all of us.

I love big singles on V8's but that's not everyone's cup of tea so a big dual system with a quality x-pipe is the other option.  You need to think about compression ratio and the new size of the engine when you are designing this system.  In my experience general exhaust shops have no clue on system design - they just fit what kits they have on hand and call it a sports exhaust.  Collector length and size can be maximised to suit the application as can muffler choice.  I love the hooker aero chambers but there are other brands out there with similar design that sound great.  add a moroso spiral flow resonator at the very back near the rear 1/4's and you will have a sweet sound - not to loud.  noise does not always equal power. 

Vizard has a great article on 'no loss' exhaust systems and it is a great resource.  not sure if it is still available on the net but a google search should sort that out, if not I have a hard copy here.  

My personal preference would be a system that exits past the bumper and not dumped.  I like having the sound exit out the back so that you get to hear the engine and not the drone, but again we are all different. 

sounds like some good fruit there ando ^^^^ well im really stumped as in what to do with it then im kinda falling down the twin 3in with X pipe twin magnaflow mufflers with twin 2.5 over diff, sound good :) 

that sounds like a pretty good system to me.  From memory the xy gt's had a reduction in pipe diameter over the diff for ease of fitment, the by product of that was a better note so I think you will be fine.  Those magnaflow mufflers have a good rep to and I have one of their x pipes and the quality is good.