slydog

Go fast brakes for the ute?

So as I'm getting older and safety is becoming more important I feel I'll need to upgrade the level of braking on the ute.It currently has XF front disc's and XG-H PV rear disc's.I know I could buy a Hoppers or RRS kit for the front but was thinking about maybe a AU 2 piston set-up stock or a aftermarket kit perhaps?

Has anyone done something like this or have a link or ideas on doing so? 

hey mate,Ultra Performance Components do aftermarket ford brake up grade kits. I think they do a 330mm kit and a twin piston standard size rotor uprade kit they might sell parts individually if you where thinking on building your own combo.  Factory 4, 385 Dorset Road,, Bayswater, VIC 3153 p: 03 9762 1500

I have not used them myself I was looking into the twin piston kits a while ago as I have 15inch rim and didnt want to go bigger I never purchased any tho. might pay to give them a call sorry

Not 100% sure but I have been told by a few people xg run a larger piston in the front than xf making a direct bolt on upgrade (xg's also have a quicker ratio steering box which will also help with handling)

good brakes only slow you down :D

Good point,plus it needs to go first anyway...

Not 100% sure but I have been told by a few people xg run a larger piston in the front than xf making a direct bolt on upgrade (xg's also have a quicker ratio steering box which will also help with handling)

Ohhhh really...well thats some good news.I know the Old Ghia stopped really well thanks to the slotted rotors and new calipers but I don't know what they were off TBH? Back to topic though,the wreckers here have a couple of XG-XH PV's and utes so I'll go suss it all out next week.

Good heads up Thom. 

Good point,plus it needs to go first anyway...

Ohhhh really...well thats some good news.I know the Old Ghia stopped really well thanks to the slotted rotors and new calipers but I don't know what they were off TBH? Back to topic though,the wreckers here have a couple of XG-XH PV's and utes so I'll go suss it all out next week.

Good heads up Thom. 

Nuclear reactors have brakes, matter of fact I wouldn't drive one without really really good ones.  GIven 700 thou lift on your cam I think that the same principle should apply here, given you're likely to discover the higgs boson or find that your Falcon has warp capability with it.

Dreadnought-Class-Ship-Star-Trek.jpg"Just fuckin gunn it..."

Slotted goes well, however the upc kits will be the go to stay within 15" wheels.

Hoppers would be the other choice but you'd need to go to 17"'s

Brakes pfft. Highly overrated.

(xg's also have a quicker ratio steering box which will also help with handling)

cough cough  bullshit.

Ill believe you its just what I had heard as I said I wasn't 100% on the info

When I finish my car I will be running rebuilt girlock calipers on T2 street series DBA slotted rotors and QFM pads(Queensland Friction Materials). This setup has been used by others that also do track work and was found to be good with little to no fade, mainly due to the QFM pads. The QFM pads don't need to be warmed up like EBC green and red stuff, this is good for the street and the drag strip where I guess you don't really warm up your brakes before a run. Braided lines and good fluid will help as well.

Your completely missing the point here Rob. You actually need to make the ute faster then slow that bitch down with a chute !!

On a serious note though I recall seeing wilwood doing a bolt on kit on ebay that looked pretty good at a decent price.

We are working on a bolt in kit to fit au twin pot calipers to the stock xf rotor. Trying to utilise parts you would find on either an xdef or the au u raid the calipers from so its repair freindly

These should fit inside a 15" rim, cant say on spoke clearance until its built but.

You're not doing one for E series too are you? :)

You're not doing one for E series too are you? :)

No plans to but if it takes off and shows support theres no reason why not. You should be able to fot any caliper upgrade that suits from AUII onwards, but the rotor itself cannot incease in size due to the makeup of the spindle arm.

Willwood's aren't RWC complient supposedly......something to do with not being a Ford certified product?

Nothing to do with Ford. Everything to do with not having a dustboot on the pistons.

Wilwood make a 4 piston caliper with dust boots, might be a new model. They are in the Dynapro range.

I was speaking to castlemaine rod shop (waddingtons) at motorex and they said that they were making a compliant wilwood kit for older cars. if you want to use wilwoods it might be worth a call. They probably won't be cheap though.

I will be using wilwoods, but unsure of what size/model as of yet. 

Wilwood make a 4 piston caliper with dust boots, might be a new model. They are in the Dynapro range.

I was speaking to castlemaine rod shop (waddingtons) at motorex and they said that they were making a compliant wilwood kit for older cars. if you want to use wilwoods it might be worth a call. They probably won't be cheap though.

I will be using wilwoods, but unsure of what size/model as of yet. 

Nothing from CRS (Waddingtons) will be cheap i guarantee you that!!    Rip offs!

Probably won't fit well either.