Sign in to follow this  
Clevo120Y

air/fuel meter

AEM or Inovate...I have a inovate but it doesn't log but as the display is easy enough for me to see it's not a issue...you won't have time to look in a speedway car really will you? Maybe a simple MS as your logger with the Inovate as the reader? 

thanks Sly, I was just going to mount a go pro camera in the car to record the meter during a race, when he gets back in just watch it on the laptop and make tuning changes and go again. Any chance you got a link to your meter ;)

I've run an AEM in my race car for the last four years.  Burnt one sensor in that time but easy enough to get replacement (put it down to the methanol).  Found them to be very accurate - same reading as a MOTEC unit I used on the dyno, so it was good enough for me. 

With careful positioning in the car you can read the dial as you are going down the straight, can't see the colour on the dial but the red led numbers are very easy to read, even for a bloke that is on the wrong side of 40.

Have not used the innovate one so unable to comment.  If they both have a bosch 5 wire sensor then I guess it comes down to personal preference.  GoPro is the best speedway data logger you will ever get.  You can 'hear' the engine and understand what is going on better than any one dimensional graph on a computer screen. 

thanks Sly, I was just going to mount a go pro camera in the car to record the meter during a race, when he gets back in just watch it on the laptop and make tuning changes and go again. Any chance you got a link to your meter ;)

This is what I use bred...http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/180728965085?lpid=87 a few wires and mounting and it's done. I like th Go-Pro idea for logging ALOT.It offers alot but a screen with every data point would be good to have aswell if your getting serious IMO.

I got mine thru Q direct from the supplier but it wasn't $200 either ? Maybe $170ish I think?   

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/wideband-o2-systems-c-23.html

your one come from there Sly^ when the aussie dollar was a lot stronger.

Gopro VS datalogging? Both! They are both tools that can help, The camera especially if you have driver pedal and stick in the shot. Then your not only datalogging the sound and the track but the driver. But were the camera will hear a stumble or a pop... why? Where did it come form and what caused it?

With a datalogger logging voltage, rpm, throttle pos, MAP, EGO, fuel pressure: you can not hear or feel but you can see the loss of spark or the drop in fuel pressure and examine the engine parameters around what caused it. VERY helpful at pinpointing possible causes immediately. With a much higher resolution than a video can capture.

but anyway, yes, the innovate EGO's are a good unit. Mines been working perfectly since i got it. Depending on the fuel your using depends on the service life of the sensor. leaded fuels shorten the life a fair bit. Not sure about alcohols.

Yeah have to agree with you on both Q - if the budget allows it.  Mine doesn't so I try to have all my engine tune and stuff sorted at the dyno prior to going to the track.  Time is usually limited between heats so I don't know how much time you would get to analysis data but I'm sure if you had a member of the crew who was dedicated to that task and that task only it could be done.

I mainly fitted my AFR gauge so that I could tune to variable conditions and when I eventually go away to other tracks sea levels etc.  anyway get the innovate one clevo120y and we can see how it goes in a speedway application.

I run an AEM on my street/bush F100. Its on LPG so I use Lambda, cos it didnt have a switch for LPG translation, every other fuel.
I like Lambda cos you dont need to think. Sure you can go "ooh, its close to 13, might be getting a little nasty..."
But I see it below 1 and I'm happy.

Whenever you want Dave! Just sing out bud. I'm gunna have to get my own anyways now. To used to it being there. It gives a great indication of whats happening with your tune.<br />

Sorry for the late reply fellas, thanks for the info I will get my customer to buy one of those, as for the gopro/data logger I would like to use both but as mentioned above that is not in our budget for a full data logging setup so the camera is the next best option as I do like to hear whats going on also just to hear when the driver gets on and off the throttle. I also want to record myself taking this thing for a spin if I get the chance and show you blokes how not to race a speedway car LOL

Just an aside, you could put 1 megasquirt and all the necessary sensors on the car for the price of one of them black edition go-pros =P Ie, not that expensive .jpg

There are alot of cheaper knock off cameras out there that will work pretty good too for the $50-100 rage.