Sign in to follow this  
slydog

Tub liner paint

OK guys as the title suggests what tub liner paint have people used? I may use some or convince myself to paint the tub out side colour and LOOK AFTER IT but I like the tub liner idea with a top coat of car colour if possible?

So help out if you can please.

Used that ripple finish shit applied with a schultz gun.  Used the 3m water based stuff from supercrap, goes on okay and cleans up easy.

I'd use the non water based stuff next time, the water based stuff is more sensitive to surface prep.  Where you get dings and scratches can of black paint and bingo, looks schmicko again.

Its cheap too about 25 bucks a bottle, and you'd need 2 to do the tray.  Some back satin rattle cans to finish the gaps.

Mind you with the work you have done back there, I'd just paint it satin black.  The welds and general finish you got there is tops Rob.

David

Personally i would just use a matt black killrust epoxy enamel, cheap, spreads well so you could do the whole tray with 2 coats for about $50-$60 and its hardy, will take a knock if its primed right and easily patched if it does scratch.

is it a -plastic tub liner if so youl need plastic primer ,it is clear ,so one good coat will do,when applying top colour youl need to get elastic additive to put in the colour,so the paint can expand and shrink without flaking or peeling off the plastic,,if its steel clean up with thinners etch prime and blast may coats of colour on,

with the plastic liner when 1st cleaning use truck wash gerni,etc let it dry then get a really soaked rag of thinners an wash with this to remove grease oil,etc

Hey sly.

Just make sure what ever it is you use will slow down rust.

Ive stuck my head under two tub liners, one in a falcon and one in a early hilux

and the rust holes were :o as the water from washing and condensation just never really dried out.

The tub liners look awesome but can be scary underneath.

You can tint some tub liner paints in a few different colours . I used some on a mates ute . It was tinted red. Looked good. Needed 4 cans for good coverage. Can't remember the brand but I'm sure any helpfull paint shop should steer you in the right direction. I found it best to crank the reg on the compressor right up and spray it with really hi pressure. The stuff covers imperfections really well. I filled 4mm rust holes with it. <br /><br />Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

Just 2pac it, sif this ute will ever carry anything.

It will fall out the tray under acceleration.

Why not get a sheet of 6mm conveyor belt rubber and trim it to fit neat in the rear section, then when u need to sit something in the rear just drop that mat in and your away.

But don't leave it in.  My brother xg had some rubber mat in the back and the tray is just a fucking mess.  Held condensation under the mat against the tray floor.  

Its got more scale and flake than a drag queens makeup.  I cut some of it out last weekend ahead of the fuel tank and it was horrible.  Reckon I've got a new iron ore mine in the making in Adelaide.