dizzy616

el thermo fans onto xf

You will mind if they're flat out non stop... Your car won't warm up and run properly if they are. Also it'd most likely kill your battery, a normal XF alt will struggle with the drain of thermos.

You can either have them on a manual switch or wired to a thermostatic switch. You'd also need a relay.

you need twin relays with el thermos, thermatic switch easier, stuff flicking switches constantly, fitting is not to hard, cutting of the black plastic is required, custom mount to radiator etc..

If you flick through my project thread on the XE youll see how i did them. Theres also a cct diagram in there somewhere.

So he should get back to you in a few weeks....:P

thnx dude yeh i think ive gone through your build thread before hendrix. but i looked at so many of those threads i cant remember which ones in which

heres a cct i drew up

Only thing i would do different is instead of wiring the manual switch dirrect to the fans use it to trigger the to drive relays!

post-34-0-14148300-1371208256_thumb.jpg

I can't remember if I put up any pics of my install in my ute thread...

Mine is damn simple (ran in through a manual switch).

Earth the negative wires from thermos to vehicle close to radiator.

Join poisitve wires and run them to the relay being used.

Wire from relay to 12v positive on battery.

Wire from relay to switch that turns fans on and off.

Despite many suggestions, I went manual switch, to prevent them.coming on if not needed or wanted. Plus one less thing to break. I reckon I've turned them on four times maybe? Including when I was hauling a trailer the other week. Majority of cooling is done via airflow not fans,.unless.idling or in slow traffic.

I put one of these in my xe to run a set of ef thermos yesterday

976903_10201238207145625_215990236_o.jpg

It has variable temp that you can set, controls both of the ef thermos. One fan comes on at one temp and the second comes on 10 degrees hotter. Override is on the AC switch in the car if u want them both running full time.

The temp sensor is a probe that goes in the fins on the radiator on the inlet side.  I only gave it a quick test yesterday but it seems to work great. It also runs the fans at full speed.  Comes with easy to follow instructions.  I got it from VPW.  

Part No. HAY-3654  Cost is $42.40.  http://www.vpw.com.au/Category/Index/6198

Now the components probably don't cost shit and if your handy with electronics you could make the same circuit pretty easy.  But I liked how easy and compact this was and it suits me fine and it was easy to wire up.  And I got trade price  :)

hmm i dont know about just running it on a switch. and just watching my temperature. ive had faulty senders before. and i do zone out(i call it in the zone) sometimes and hardly watch whats going on on the cluster.

I put one of these in my xe to run a set of ef thermos yesterday

976903_10201238207145625_215990236_o.jpg

It has variable temp that you can set, controls both of the ef thermos. One fan comes on at one temp and the second comes on 10 degrees hotter. Override is on the AC switch in the car if u want them both running full time.

The temp sensor is a probe that goes in the fins on the radiator on the inlet side.  I only gave it a quick test yesterday but it seems to work great. It also runs the fans at full speed.  Comes with easy to follow instructions.  I got it from VPW.  

Part No. HAY-3654  Cost is $42.40.  http://www.vpw.com.au/Category/Index/6198

Now the components probably don't cost shit and if your handy with electronics you could make the same circuit pretty easy.  But I liked how easy and compact this was and it suits me fine and it was easy to wire up.  And I got trade price  :)

i do like the neatness of that idea

Yeah that's the beauty of this set up.  It looks after itself.  And it has the override if the probe shits its self.

I have mine running off my rear demister switch (utes don't have the demister). Bonus of that is light in dash to remind me the fans are on.

I like Pete's setup though... Something I may consider as at the time I just needed fans in and working.

i was thinking about pulling the radiator and thermo's straight out of an XH rather than making the thermo's fit to the xf radiator, would there be much involved in making that fit?