SPArKy_Dave

SINGLE RAIL GEARBOX INFO

Please excuse the fragmented nature, of the below info... 🙃

I progressively update this post with copy/paste info, as I find it across the net.

(latest updates - 09/03/20, 24/08/20, 05/04/21 and 09/04/22)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

https://www.hemiperformance.com.au/shop/shop-by-category/transmission/manual-4-speed.html

BW gearbox prefix numbers -

0503 - Borg Warner 4spd single rail - Ford Falcon, Valiant, Leyland P76?

0506 - Borg Warner 5spd single rail with modified shifter to make it 4spd - 3.3ltr crossflow?

0507 - Borg Warner 5spd single rail - 3.3ltr crossflow - XE onward, and Mitsubishi Sigma

XB, all models including 351 GT with 2v heads had the BW 0503-003 (6cyl and 302 has BW 0503-006).
XC/XD 4.1/4.9 had the BW 0503-009
XC/XD 5.8 0503-008.

003 is 1st 2.82, 2nd 1.84, 3rd 1.32, 4th 1.00 - (4.9)

006 is 1st 3.06 - possibly (3.3/4.1) not sure on ratio's yet

009 is 1st 3.06, 2nd 1.84, 3rd 1.32, 4th 1.00 - (4.9)
008 is 1st 2.46, 2nd 1.78, 3rd 1.27, 4th 1.00 - (5.8)

Ford never published the codes for XE and XF but the 1st gear ratios are
XE 6 cyl. carb 3.43
XE efi & 302 3.06
XE 351 2.46
XF efi 3.40
XF carb 3.50

XE 4.1L factory carburetor Single Rails have a 20 spline input shaft

XE 4.1L factory fuel injected Single Rails have a 21 spline input shaft

XF 4.1L (carb and EFI) Single Rails have a 19 spline input shaft, up to 10/86 build vehicles

XF 4.1L (carb and EFI) 10/86 onwards, had 21 spline input shafts

Other numbers XB Single Rail -

74DA-7003-AB
0503 006 3192

0503-006-3013

XD Single Rail?

78DA-7003-CB

0503-014 (8096)

76 DA 7003 AA 05 03 009

84 DA 7003 BA 0503 038

xd/e/f
0503 carby 1st-3.43 2nd-1.99 3rd-1.43 4th-1.00 rev-3.29
0503 efi 1st-3.50 2nd-1.99 3rd-1.32 4th-1.00 rev-3.47
0506 1st-3.47 2nd-1.96 3rd-1.26 4th-1.00 rev-3.37
0507 5spe 1st-3.47 2nd-1.96 3rd-1.26 4th-1.00 5th-0.79 rev-3.37

xa/b/c
0503-009 (4.1/4.9) 1st-3.06 2nd-1.84 3rd-1.32 4th-1.00
0503-008 (5.8) 1st-2.46 2nd-1.78 3rd-1.27 4th-1.00

A 250 or 302 single rail is rated to 285lb/ft, similar to a stock T5.
A 351 single rail is rated to 325lb/ft which is the same as a Z-type T5.
A std. wide ratio Toploader is rated at 375lb/ft and a bull nose 425lb/ft.

BW single rail differences.
All have same mounting flange, which is the same as the 3 speed box except for one bolt.
Valiant has longer, finer input shaft, same output I think.
Valiant has a short shifter shaft with a dogleg intermediate rod to clear the Valiant crossmember.
Valiant has 2.84 first gear, so does cortina.
Cortina has foward mounted shifter and short shift shaft with no intermediate shaft, extension housing is different to cater for this.
Falcons all have rear mounted shifter and long shift shaft with no intermediate shaft.
There are several ratio sets in falcons, from 2.54 first gear fitted to 351s, to 3.47 on xf type sixes.
The highest torque rated box is the 351 at around 350lbsft.

BW single rail.
Valiant has 23 spline input shaft which is longer than the Falcon/Cortina box
Valiant has different extension housing with different mounting and shifter to Ford types.
P76 single rail is very similar to Valiant type, not seen many so couldn't say exactly what the differences are, if any.
Repair kits should be the same, but you'd need to be a bit careful when its comes to extension housing output shaft seal.
As far as I know all Valiants had same 2.84 first gear ratio gear-set.

Falcons and Cortinas have quite a few gear-sets, I know of -
2.54 first gear (for 351s) also highest torque handing because of larger input gear.
2.84 first gear seen in Cortina six
3.06 first gear in 302s and six's until XE
3.54 first gear in later sixes.
One extension housing in Falcon with corresponding shifter position.
One extension housing in Cortinas with corresponding shifter position.

This is what I was able to find off the net, and from books in the local library, for the 0503 :-

Falcon XA & Leyland P76
2.78/1.93/1.36/1.00

Falcon XB & Charger E48
2.82/1.84/1.32/1.00

Falcon XC/XD/XE
3.06/1.84/1.32/1.00

Valiant VJ-CM
3.32/2.00/1.43/1.00

Falcon XE (4.1 carb only)
3.43/1.99/1.43/1.00

However, Ford used a 10-spline 1&1/16th" input shaft, but Chrysler and Leyland used a 23-spline 1&1/32nd" input shaft.

Other XE Falcons got the "new" 0506 4-speed, or it's relative the 0507 5-speed.

Single rails came in 4 variations depending what engine they were designed to be fitted behind. All are physically identical on the outside and are interchangable. To check which type you have, look at the small tag on the side of the box.

74DA 7003 A (up to 11/74)
74DA 7003 AB (11/74 onwards)

0503-006 (3.3/4.1)
0503-003 (4.9)
0503-009 (4.9)
1st-3.06 2nd-1.84 3rd-1.32 4th-1.00

74DA 7003 BA 
0503-008 (5.8 inc GT)
1st-2.46 2nd-1.78 3rd-1.27 4th-1.00

Ford Single Rail Specs 1.jpg

Ford Single Rail Specs 2.jpg

https://www.boostcruising.com/advice/496483-Borg-Warner-Gearbox-0505.html

Falcons XD-XF come out with borg warner 0501, 0503, 0506 and 0507, but 0505 is not mentioned.

http://www.fordmods.com/ford-x-series-f29/mod-a-single-rail-5-speed-t56866.html

I had a 009 and a 008 in the Corty. The closer ratio was brilliant in a light car, 1st gear with a 2.78 diff gave 80ks.

Sorry not 008, it had a 3.47:1 1st so that was a 015

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

i had a cortina single rail behind My 351 built up, it was also suiting the 2.92 gears very well. i'd hazard a guess a taller diff ratio would have been MAGNIFICENT with the 4 speed

2 hours ago, gerg said:

I had a 009 and a 008 in the Corty. The closer ratio was brilliant in a light car, 1st gear with a 2.78 diff gave 80ks.

Sorry not 008, it had a 3.47:1 1st so that was a 015

Cool!

If you've got some more Single Rail specs... add them in, and I'll edit them into the first post! :)

The main reason ford went to the single rail around xb era is people were complaining about the top loader  shifter getting stuck and hard to use,so a more user freindly box was needed,the single rail is a worthy contender to the top loader.

The main reason ford went to the single rail around xb era is people were complaining about the top loader  shifter getting stuck and hard to use,so a more user freindly box was needed,the single rail is a worthy contender to the top loader.
Also local content laws. Ford Oz had to import all toploaders from the States (as with early Clevos) reducing the amount of components that could be classed as locally manufactured. 85% comes to mind in order for the Government to to waive import tarrifs.

This is also a major reason for the 6-cylinder Cortina. Local engine, box and diff makes up a big chunk of locally made gear. The fact that they went really well was merely incidental.

Also on top of that, Borg-Warner could tool up to supply multiple manufacturers, not just Ford. This helps in recouping production and development costs.

there is also a very rare box that DJ was using in the xd xe era made by ford in america ,had top loader internals with an internal rail to shift gears ,i read about this in australian muscle car mag many years ago,he was given 2 by ford motor company i assume they were using them for trans am type racing.

there is also a very rare box that DJ was using in the xd xe era made by ford in america ,had top loader internals with an internal rail to shift gears ,i read about this in australian muscle car mag many years ago,he was given 2 by ford motor company i assume they were using them for trans am type racing.

It wasn't the RSOD box was it? Single Rail Over Drive? Basically a 3-speed with an overdrive 4th. Common on Mustangs and F-trucks before the T5 came out.

The SROD was an evolution of the toploader. They made 4th into 3rd and turned 3rd into an overdrive. Wouldn't be hard to convert it back to the old toploader guts.

It was still a Ford box until they sold their manual trans operation to Tremec.

in the interview dj laughs and says the top loader needed a engine crane just to lift the thing in and out of the car it was so heavy,in the older days i suppose they were still using cast iron bells ,he said the ford engineers made this box for front running fords at the time,as dick was a favourite of edsel ford in the early 80's,a privateer had sunk his life savings and his house into a falcon and was kicking ass until the rock then everyone knows the story from there.Murry carter was actually the first person to do up a xd for racing then everyone else followed even tho ford did not want this model raced,belive it or not the murry carter xe which i think is now the john sands xe group c car is only down the road near my machine shop m8 who does my work and he built the engine for it ,i can do a story on it as i have acsess thru him its a real waepon.

in the interview dj laughs and says the top loader needed a engine crane just to lift the thing in and out of the car it was so heavy,in the older days i suppose they were still using cast iron bells ,he said the ford engineers made this box for front running fords at the time,as dick was a favourite of edsel ford in the early 80's,a privateer had sunk his life savings and his house into a falcon and was kicking ass until the rock then everyone knows the story from there.Murry carter was actually the first person to do up a xd for racing then everyone else followed even tho ford did not want this model raced,belive it or not the murry carter xe which i think is now the john sands xe group c car is only down the road near my machine shop m8 who does my work and he built the engine for it ,i can do a story on it as i have acsess thru him its a real waepon.
That would be awesome. I love hearing all the little tricks they used in the smoke and mirrors Group C days.

That would be awesome. I love hearing all the little tricks they used in the smoke and mirrors Group C days.

The car is black and very low with those massive rims and rear wing i will go see him on my day off and take heaps of pics

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

What oil is everyone running in their Single Rails, I run Castro’s Transmax Z in the missus’s T5, can I run that in my Single Rail?
I just run penrite gearbox oil that suits that era of fords,the t5 loves atf

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

What oil is everyone running in their Single Rails, I run Castro’s Transmax Z in the missus’s T5, can I run that in my Single Rail?

Single rails run SAE 30 but a thick engine oil will suffice. A light gear oil might be a better long-term option, say a TFC450 or a straight 50 diesel oil. Castrol Syntrans 75W-85 would work nice but is expensive at about 30 bucks a litre. You'd never, ever have to change it except for when the box leaks it all out (and it will).

EP Gear oil (ie: diff oil) isn't suitable. The EP additives corrode the bronze syncros.

Can't see a problem running Transmax Z in a T5. If it ticks the boxes for Dex II or III then can't go wrong.

Hi guys reviving this thread.

Does anyone happen to have the measurement for the length of a single rail input shaft (cortina if it makes any difference?) Mainly after the length between the tip of the input shaft to the face of the transmission case.

Further to that, do we know if the measurement above is exactly the same as what is found in the T5?

Thank you in advance

T5 and Single Rail share same length, spline count and pilot bearing on all Ford 6s up to EL. I can go measure a spare box I have in a bit

Ok shaft is 165mm from very tip (pilot section) to gearbox face (not input retainer)

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk

Greg you're a legend as usual.

Unfortunately not the answer i was hoping for :(. Going by the above is it fair to say that the input shaft on an AU T5 is in fact longer than the input shaft on any other T5/single rail in early for 6's? 

In other words, is the 250 crossflow T5 bell housing (suit XF) the same depth as 250 crossflow single rail, and in turn shallower than the AU T5 bell housing? 

Greg you're a legend as usual.

Unfortunately not the answer i was hoping for . Going by the above is it fair to say that the input shaft on an AU T5 is in fact longer than the input shaft on any other T5/single rail in early for 6's? 

In other words, is the 250 crossflow T5 bell housing (suit XF) the same depth as 250 crossflow single rail, and in turn shallower than the AU T5 bell housing? 
You are correct grasshopper. AU onwards I believe used the Mustang T5 input and bellhousing depth, which is 5/8” longer. You could possibly use a spacer between the box and the bellhousing to correct this but that throws your tailshaft length and shifter position out.

2 minutes ago, gerg said:

You are correct grasshopper. AU onwards I believe used the Mustang T5 input and bellhousing depth, which is 5/8” longer. You could possibly use a spacer between the box and the bellhousing to correct this but that throws your tailshaft length and shifter position out.

Damn... Well i have a mate measuring up an XF bellhousing 250-T5 now so ill know if you're lying, and ill let everyone know as well I swear i will

Unleaded xflow and t5 xflow bellhousing are the same casting with the mounting holes drilled to suit whichever box was being used, I had one that was drilled to suit both but I would bet someone had done that,not the factory

1 hour ago, Mixalis said:

Damn... Well i have a mate measuring up an XF bellhousing 250-T5 now so ill know if you're lying, and ill let everyone know as well I swear i will

also the gear stick position of the AU T5 is further back from what i was told.. need to verify that. but just another potential pain in the ass