dougie77

4.0 turbo vs 4.1 turbo

4 litre

1/You can rev a stock 4litre

2/strong bottom end and good pistons if using ef/l.

3/au engine you can use ba rods and pistons.

4/ twenty minute cam swaps.

1/weak rods and cast pistons.

2/ not happy to rev.

3/ cant do easy cam swaps.

4/CAN USE EF CRANK TO HELP IT REV

go with the 4litre, the pros of the 4litre kill the 250, 250 needs more money spent on it to produce same output, especially if you cant do much yourself or know anyone.

4L's easy to come by and i would use an AU motor as they are cheap as chips and can handle abit of boost,before rods start bending.

money you spend on a 250 you'll benefit more out of a 4 litre

possibly know of a turbo 250 that will be up for sale soon too

Look at it this way the 4.1 and 4.0

Started life the same then it gets modernised ie better crank better rods better pistons better head.

And now you can buy cheap strong parts for both, but one is old and still not happy to rev and make power and one can rev.

So doller for doller hp for hp the 4.0 will be a better stronger smoother every time.

If you break them both down side by side on the bench you will be amazed at how similar they are internally, same rods till EL, same bearings, same oil pump, so much is the same.. until u get to the headgasket. Then its like comparing a 2v cleveland to a 4v, the valves are massive, ports are massive, cam profile is huge. Theres so much more technology put into the induction side of things when u compare them, so for essentially the same bottom end thr top end can breath a hell of a lot more. Makes u really wonder why a xflow doesnt want to rev when u compare the rotating assemblies.

money you spend on a 250 you'll benefit more out of a 4 litre

possibly know of a turbo 250 that will be up for sale soon too

know of one for sale right now

im looking into turboing my ef. i wanted to build a strong big turbo xr6 motor and put that in but that seems a big mission. this topic is convincing me to just turbo the std motor in it now... how strong are they turbod (compression wise, and will it go bang quickly) thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4.0l flog crossys all together. :) nah if you got big bucks a good crossy is cool but i reckon you will accomplish about as much with half the money spent on 4.0l. my straight gas n/a 4.0l hammers :P fuck all work thrashes the hell out of my mild crossy

easy setup for 250 & 4Ls

Garrett GT/GTX3582 .82 rear housing

3" minimum dump and exhaust (prefer 3.5")

decent front mount, and a tubular manifold, log style ones become restrictive above 13psi

oil & water lines are easy to run, piping is up to you and how you want it to be piped, no holes vs holes.

that setup is capable of making in excess of 300rwkw and spooling from 2500rpm. so driveable its not funny.