Mixalis

Sticky Lifters

Hi guys,

I had noticed that the motor started leaking oil from the rocker cover after a little drive, checked the dipstick (read there was still the minimum amount left) and went to drive it straight home. As soon as i started it to go back home, it developed what sounds like lifter ticking (does it on idle, picks up with rpm, periodically disappears before returning). 

Got it home, dumped the oil for an oil and filter change (oil perhaps 2500km old?), noticed that it fell short of the required amount that should have been in there. Put the appropriate amount of oil in and read the dipstick then again after letting oil circulate to the filter. When the motor is full the dipstick reads a little over full (probably cause it was bent a while ago) which means that it would have been fairly low before which I'm guessing would have caused the lifters to start ticking?

Anyway even with new oil, it doesn't seem to have disappeared, still does it on part throttle and picks up with rpm, sometimes disappears (or inaudible at the least) before coming back. Did 100km on the new oil btw and oil is Shell Helix mineral 20-50. Hydraulic lifters around 3-4000km old

Im thinking of throwing in that Nulon Additive for lifter ticking, but thought id ask anyway incase someone has tried it or has a better idea. Ive heard putting ATF might work id rather buy the proper stuff if it works. 

Cheers boys

BTW i can upload a video if someone think it may not even be that. 

EDIT: also note that the engine is very fresh recently rebuilt so at the same time maybe additives might not be the best idea, still keen for opinions though

Just your crossy telling you it loves you :D

If you find a way to fix it let me know... mine does the same.

Hahaha loves me long time, will do mate, probably a good idea we get this stuff sorted before Sunday's cruise

Is it just on one cylinder or does it sound like a few?

Sometimes they can block up on the tiny inlet ports and get restricted so don't pump up properly.

Have you fixed the rocker cover yet? If not, when you do you can check which one(s) are playing up by pushing on the pushrod side of the rocker (must be off the lobe, so will need to wind over engine to check all of them). The dud ones will be easy to compress and spring back.

I found some wiped lobes and stuffed lifters with a similar symptom to yours. Was a deeper knock over time that became constant.

Last thing, could your oil pump pickup be loose? Sucking air and aerating the oil will cause the lifters to clack like that, as the air content compresses and you get no hydraulic action.

Hi mate thanks for replying. If I was to have an uneducated guess it sounds like only one, only because of the timing intervals of the 'ticks'. Evenly spaced out between ticks has me thinking it's only one.

Yep I did pop the cover off but i can definitely do it again and try that method you've got there. So if there is/are dud ones is that a symptom of a possible wiped lobe? Or that the lifter has an issue?

Regarding the oil pick up, I sure hope it's not loose with the motor being recently assembled! But a possibility none the less. I have not noticed it drop oil pressure ever but when the oil was at its lowest, could the pump have been starved during a hit of acceleration momentarily and caused it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was a wiped lobe it would be really loud and obvious.

Check for wiped lobe by removing rocker cover and wiggling the rocker Arm, turn motor over a bit and check them again, if one is really loose, wiped lobe.

I tried the Repco brand lifter/tune up additive on my BA Falcon a while back due to a reoccurring shudder on idle, added the fluid to the oil like it said, the car became nearly un driveable constantly stalling and suffering power issues until i changed the oil the next day. No damage done (short term anyway, new owners are happy) but if your gonna try the additive just go easy on it would be my advice, I only used just over half the bottle and my car hated me for it, Most likely a sensor issue so might be ok on an older style motor. 

Cheers for the replies fellas, have decided to go against any sort of additive and it seems to be more of a bandaid fix and don't really want to be putting any shit in the fresh motor yet. 

Might give it a start tomorrow then with an extra pair of ears and run through it, I'm just more worried that driving through it is going to cause some sort of premature wear that i dont want, haven't had this problem till now. Then probably go through the checks gerg put through 

Yeh don't think its a wiped lobe, making all of its power the same way it always has

My engines making a noise what's wrong with it?

The double over head junker pumper needs to set at .000002 lash at 27.5 degrees before top dead center, with the engine cold.