SXE357

Electric power steering pump for 351.

It was suggested to me today to maybe have a look at an electric power steering pump for the 351.

Sounds like a great idea, but can't seem to find much info about it.

Has anyone tried it or seen one and have some info?

Cheers

People been using a Astra pump I think that they rework somehow and then make some brackets to suit it all. 

Mate has nutted something out on his 351 Windsor so I'll flick him a msg tomoz if I remember.

Im running one . In my Xb which has a v8 in it

should be in the project thread 

Im selling the hoses off of mine. Because ive brought braided flex ones for that extra bling. its long enough to mount it anywhere in the engine bay . PM me if u want it 

http://www.ozfalcon.com.au/index.php?/topic/2927-xb-with-a-boosted-302-6-speed-manual-project/page-3

I seem to remember Lord Far Quad showing a Astra pump conversion in his ute thread.

If you guys want any more pics ect i can provide . they are in the link ^^ 

the ONLY disadvantage in running the pump i can find , is that when you turn the car/pump on it takes about 30 seconds before it builds enough pressure to steer 

Ive got it wired to ignition.. so you can easily dry steer with 245/45/17s on the front with the car off and just the ignition on.. which is cool lol

Yeah have done this.  see my old school ute thread.

Ts astra pump

Wiring is easy, just need a +12V feed which i have coming from the astra alternator.  Don't worry about the blue white diagnostic wire.

Main feed for the pump comes from the alternator too.  mounted low in the front part of the bay.  Uses a combination of astra pipes pirtek hose and the old xf lines cut to fit.

Don't worry about the gm oil use atf - hesitant to change, pumps are cheap xf steering boxes aren't.

Steers well, better than the old saginaw pump but if you twirl the wheel quick at low rpm you can loose pressure fairly easy.  Not a problem in normal driving.  The pump is also lower pressure so will need heavier arms but i prefer more feel in the steering on x series fords.

http://www.ozfalcon.com.au/index.php?/topic/477-old-school-ute/page-9

Yeah have done this.  see my old school ute thread.

Ts astra pump

Wiring is easy, just need a +12V feed which i have coming from the astra alternator.  Don't worry about the blue white diagnostic wire.

Main feed for the pump comes from the alternator too.  mounted low in the front part of the bay.  Uses a combination of astra pipes pirtek hose and the old xf lines cut to fit.

Don't worry about the gm oil use atf - hesitant to change, pumps are cheap xf steering boxes aren't.

Steers well, better than the old saginaw pump but if you twirl the wheel quick at low rpm you can loose pressure fairly easy.  Not a problem in normal driving.  The pump is also lower pressure so will need heavier arms but i prefer more feel in the steering on x series fords.

http://www.ozfalcon.com.au/index.php?/topic/477-old-school-ute/page-9

I needed two different wires to be connected at once to get mine going , the other ones just some diagnostic wire as far as i know?

does yours take about 30 seconds to build pressure after its started ?

i am also using ATF . because i used a 5.0 windsor fitting and it leaked from the high pressure side/on the pump. The astra one is really similar but it has an oring

Awesome, thanks mate, is it easy to determine which hose goes where?

Basically . the low pressure hose is just hose clamped on each end

the high pressure hose is threaded and crimped on each end 

Not that long. It's driven straight from the alternator which provides enough juice.

So long as the idle doesn't drop lol

Howcome you diddnt go off of the battery? thats my backup incase the alt dies or the car stalls lol

hammering thru a corner and your power steering dies = not ideal lol

loss of pressure would indicate that it doesn't have the flow capability for the steering box.... wonder if there is any other pumps we can use?

i too prefer a heavier feel, standard falcon pumps make the steering way to light.

just wish i could get one to work with the non ps box, that has the good turning circle.

Well this little project is finished.

Mounted the bracket, fitted the pump, 2 new hoses, high pressure one made by Pirtek.

Very happy with the result, just need to see how the hoses are affected due to the proximity of the extractors.

11836695_755774754531790_437595472530937

11846630_755774734531792_614571238348852

11222128_755774724531793_686659929760302

Well this little project is finished.

Mounted the bracket, fitted the pump, 2 new hoses, high pressure one made by Pirtek.

Very happy with the result, just need to see how the hoses are affected due to the proximity of the extractors.

11846630_755774734531792_614571238348852

I like how you have done the lines, my lines are fully flex , no steel lines , so i have to cable tie the shit outta it so it doesnt touch the engine lol

what are you guys doing about the VSS pickup? that determines the pump pressure after all.... or are you just having it pumping at a constant RPM/pressure?

brings me to a couple of questions, does anyone know what the line pressure is on a standard power steering system?

has anyone removed the internal stops on the stock power steering box? so you can actually get full lock.

what are you guys doing about the VSS pickup? that determines the pump pressure after all.... or are you just having it pumping at a constant RPM/pressure?

brings me to a couple of questions, does anyone know what the line pressure is on a standard power steering system?

has anyone removed the internal stops on the stock power steering box? so you can actually get full lock.

-- its auto on these man, when you need it , it revs up

-- i think rack steering is more.. from memory the older types is 1800 and rack is 3500

-- no i havnt but that sounds awesome