Free.51

302c won't start

Hi guys decided to change the vac advance unit on the dizzy on my 302 marked the dizzy where the rotor was pointing (at no. 6) changed the vac advance unit and put the dizzy in but to get it back in the the button was just a bit left of the mark. Now it won't start it almost feels like it will but wont. I turned the motor by hand and lined up the timing marks on engine and pointer on the block but still nothing. Any suggestions? I heard about taking out no. 1 spark plug & turning until u hear a hiss but can someone elaborate on this?.

What you need is a mate.....

Remove number 1 plug....

Get said mate to stick his finger in the hole...... of number 1 

turn engine over by hand.... Very important

when on comression stroke should hear a hiss emitting from said finger

line up timing mark to number 1 on pulley

Thanks mate yeah I got my brother to put his finger over the hole till u get the big puff. So after u get the big puff keep turning till the pointer on the block lines up with no. 1 on balancer then hopefully she should start.

Thats why you always put it on number 1 tdc before you pull the dizzy out.....

There should be a small notch on the dizzy that lines up to number 1. rotor will line up with it when its in correct spot.

So I've flattened 2 batteries now. I have 1 left in the zl. Should I turn the engine by hand to no.0 or 1 on balancer then pull the dizzy out & turn it to no. 1 on the dizzy then put it back in?

OK I've finished for today so tomorrow I will 1 turn the engine by hand till it gets to the top of its stroke & blows out a puff of air.

2 line up the pointer to no.1 on the balancer

3 take dizzy out & turn it to no.1 then put it back in. So it should be at 1 on balancer and 1 on dizzy then hopefully she should start again is this correct?

OK I've finished for today so tomorrow I will 1 turn the engine by hand till it gets to the top of its stroke & blows out a puff of air.

2 line up the pointer to 0 on the balancer

3 take dizzy out & turn it to no.1 then put it back in. So it should be at 0 on balancer and 1 on dizzy then hopefully she should start again is this correct?

Dizzies will turn a little as you slide them in.....

If you pulled the dizzy out when rotor pointing to no.6 then if you line up the timing mark on 0 and put the dizzy in to 6 again you are 180 out on the exhaust stroke.

I always take off the rocker cover, get no.1 piston to top and check rocker arms, both should be 'on the rock'. That is compression stroke (bottom should be on 0 if ya done it right)

If the exhaust valve is tight and rocker wont move your 180 out if rotor at no.1 position.

Only way to know for sure.

Hope ya get it sorted mate.

Jack.

Just took the dizzy out & about to put it in now, also noticed this empty hole on the manifold is it supposed to have a bolt in it?
scratch that the hole is blocked off nothing to worry about

Sounds like you're one tooth out, as suggested. 

Silly question,,,,you reading number 1 cyl as the front, left cylinder (standing in front of the car)?

Harmonic balancer should be set at 8 - 10 degrees before TDC, Rotor arm pointing at number 1 spark lead on the cap.  Vacuum advance diaphragm should be facing the radiator, not hitting the thermostat housing.

Seeing as clevos run 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8, the firing stroke should fall on either 1 or 6, as they both reach TDC at the same time but fire opposite each other. You have a 50/50 chance of getting it right first time.

So line it up with TDC on the balancer (or 10 deg if you like) and drop the dizzy in on number 1. If it doesn't fire, pull the dizzy back out and spin it to number 6. Drop it in (again with the timing at TDC) and it should fire. If not, the problem is elsewhere.

I was getting really frustrated with it on Sunday then the druggie fron next door comes out & goes "should of bought a holden" I told him to shut the f up b4 I jump over this fence and stab u in the head with my screwdriver & he quickly went back inside ha ha. I wasn't gonna stab him though but it was funny.

Theyre not even good for that bear. Alloy shitblock not heavy enough to hold papers on ya desk on a windy day.

Yout boat probably drift into Indonesian waters and confuse piss outta them when no-ones on board for their pay off.