Sign in to follow this  
RAWDEAL

Did any x falcon wagons/utes (leaf springs) come out with watts linkages installed?

Did any x falcon wagons/utes (leaf springs) come out with watts linkages installed?

The time has come to maybe think about updating the standard shitty rear end that the xb has. 

at the moment it has just leafs

I wouldnt mind trying to install a watts linkage

Leaf-sprung rears don't have lateral location, that's the whole point of them.... Simplicity. Although some have additional radius arms to prevent axle tramp. Late Falcon Utes have them.

Nothing stopping you from installing a watts-link diff hat onto a leaf housing and fabricating body mounts for the links. Will need engineering though.

Leaf-sprung rears don't have lateral location, that's the whole point of them.... Simplicity. Although some have additional radius arms to prevent axle tramp. Late Falcon Utes have them.

Nothing stopping you from installing a watts-link diff hat onto a leaf housing and fabricating body mounts for the links. Will need engineering though.

Im going the other way and just putting leaf pads onto a coil sprung 3.45 LSD diff , so ill already have the watts link on the diff

I have a 3.45 xr6 turbo ute diff lined up. ill be using that 

Im going the other way and just putting leaf pads onto a coil sprung 3.45 LSD diff , so ill already have the watts link on the diff

I have a 3.45 xr6 turbo ute diff lined up. ill be using that 

Well if you're using a XR6T UTE diff it won't be coil sprung and have the watts linkage on the diff...

It'll be leaf sprung.

Well if you're using a XR6T UTE diff it won't be coil sprung and have the watts linkage on the diff...

It'll be leaf sprung.

i should clarify

going to be converting an eb xr6 diff to leaf

and then also have a turbo ute diff lined up

unsure on if they xr6 turbo diffs have watts linkages ect.. i havnt gone to look at it yet

If it's a XR6T ute it will be leaf sprung same as all Falcon utes have been. Heck the spring saddle bush hasn't changed since 1966 and the XR.

If it's a sedan XR6T well then it's going to have IRS.

F6 ute,fastest ford ute ever built, has cart springs in the arse.

gotta have that 320kw when your hauling a fully loaded tradie trailer and 20 bags of cement on the tray ?? maybe ? lol

You will need to be very careful when fabricating the watts link setup on the the chassis as it was never designed for it and you will be putting extra load into those points on the chassis. Also you have to make sure that you locate the arms in just the right place otherwise it may cause havoc with the handling. And it wont be matter using the dimension of the donor chassis to locate the watts link on your chassis as they will be different dimension, design, shape and load points. If your going to go to the trouble of installing a watts link for handling maybe look into the suspension they use for touring car masters as they have to use all factory mounting points as part of the category rules.

You will need to be very careful when fabricating the watts link setup on the the chassis as it was never designed for it and you will be putting extra load into those points on the chassis. Also you have to make sure that you locate the arms in just the right place otherwise it may cause havoc with the handling. And it wont be matter using the dimension of the donor chassis to locate the watts link on your chassis as they will be different dimension, design, shape and load points. If your going to go to the trouble of installing a watts link for handling maybe look into the suspension they use for touring car masters as they have to use all factory mounting points as part of the category rules.

I was thinking of maybe making a set of watts links that are a solid bar and have a thread so i can wind them in and out to get them right .. they pretty much have to go vertical.. and i want them to mount to the chassis rail.. this might make for an easy work around , rather than welding stuff onto the car, figuring out its in the wrong spot ect 

What is it about the rear end you dont like mate?

3.45 lsd with solid axles and leafs will make a huge difference, no need to go watts.

Only thing I would change on mine is good set of tramp rods.

5-6 leaf rear, good shocks, brace the shock mounting points and maybe a decent center later.

I know what ya trying to achieve but think ya might be happy with a well sorted solid.

Jack.

I was looking at doing a watts link convertion into my wagon for a track only car. You will need to measure all the mounting points even with adjustable arms but you will also need to look at the shape of the rails between your car and watts link car. This is a full engineering job not just for rego purposes but for your saftey. If the chassis wasnt designed to have a load in a certain direction the chassis will need to be strenghened to cope.

I do agree with jack that you can sort out the suspension on a leaf sprung car for handling. I wont be going ahead with my wagon mainly for rust reasons but it will be a lot of work to do the job. Not saying cant be done or dont do it just be aware of the size of the job. Take plenty of pics to as Im interested as hell in this.