Nath

Re-furbishing a Diff

Just been doing some hunting for parts and stuff, this popped up. Pretty much exactly what I'm looking for (except for the fact I don't know the ratio yet), but it looks pretty manky.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/elanora-heights/brakes-suspension/ford-falcon/1076439471

I'm assuming this won't be a "sand it, paint it then throw some new oil in it" kind of job. Anyone know a rough ballpark figure of what it'd cost to get all the guts of it done if they're bad? The rest is easy enough. If it's gonna be a massive money sink I'll just look for a better one though.

Also found some tramp rods (as discussed in another thread) from the same dude. Might be worth grabbing?

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/elanora-heights/brakes-suspension/ford-tramp-rods/1076442733

Can't be using logic when it comes to the RMS man. Could be wrong (hopefully I am) but unless the diff originally came on an XD I think it needs engineering.

Having said that I'd probably just put the tag from an XD on it and no one would ever notice, it'd just be nice not to have to worry about it.

Fitting of any drive axle assembly (including differential and brakes) from a different make or model vehicle. Example requiring certification: • Fitting a Ford 9 inch differential into a Commodore. Example not requiring certification: • Fitting aftermarket internal drive axle components eg differential locks.

Technically it needs engineering I think but 99% chance no one would even know on the off chance they bothered checking it.

Oh yeah and I agree with RAWDEAL go for a EB wagon diff. Pretty straight forward fit too.

A 4 pinion, if you can.

Any wagon LSD diffs will be worn out in the cones too.

And the wagon diffs are more renown for becoming noisy.

I have experienced two e-series wagons.... my 5ltr EL and the silver EF.

Both diffs are noisy in different ways.

The EF has a nice soft train 'electric motor' like whine, which increases in pitch from low to high, as you increase vehicle speed.

It's subtle, and the pitch becomes too high to hear, after about 70km/h - It's quite pleasant to live with IMO.

The EL, has a growl - much more bearing like. It comes and goes though.

Not pleasant, but not unpleasant either.

holy shit.... lol

just a heads up, tramp rods don't help you in a corner, just in a straight line ;)

try buying new leafs, should help a lot, and get a decent set of shocks, koni's etc and make sure the bushes are good.

That's exactly what I have done, not a cheap exercise but well worth it.