Nath

Ford 300ci Inline 6

The "big block six" 300 doesn't use a timing chain, just two gears which helps in longevity; 300K+ miles before rebuild not unheard of.

It may not rev, but has torque where it counts, down low.

1978 - 1986 with 1 Barrel Carb
Max Brake Horsepower - Varied from 101 to 120 @ 3000 to 3400 rpm
Max Torque - 223 @ 1600 rpm
Stroke - 3.98
Bore - 4.0
Compression - 8.0

1987 - 1993 with Fuel Injection
Max Brake Horsepower - 145 @ 3400 rpm
Max Torque - 265 @ 2000 rpm
Stroke - 3.98
Bore - 4.0
Compression - 8.8

There are guys in the US who drag race them.

Call them crazy, or dedicated.

This thread is quite old, but it caught my attention.

I have a 300ci factory EFI six in my 1971 F100. I transplanted it in 1998 - ousting the original 240.

It's a 4.9 litre, 4" bore with 3.98" stroke. Armour guard brought 6 into Queensland during Expo in '88. They were fitted into F250's. 

4 were ultimately crushed would you believe? Two survived - I have one and I believe the other went to a South Australian farmer who removed the EFI. 

Just though that may be of interest to some.

Cheers.

F 100 engine bay.jpg

Looks odd with the “ bunch of bananas “ going the other way , 

what box and diff gearing are you running , 

and how well does it push things along in an f1

Nice rig mate, I wish I had something with one of these donks in it. I gather that they're no powerhouse, but will pull a block of flats all day every day for a very long time... Am I right?

Shame about the ones they crushed. Must have been a condition of bringing them here without ADR compliance, must have had an exemption for the 88 Expo. The EFI 300 was never sold here I believe, so would never have gone through compliance.

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk

Also if you haven't thrown out the 240 yet, don't!

The head can be used on a 300 to up the compression and give it a bit more pep (they're very low comp engines).

Nice rig mate, I wish I had something with one of these donks in it. I gather that they're no powerhouse, but will pull a block of flats all day every day for a very long time... Am I right?

Shame about the ones they crushed. Must have been a condition of bringing them here without ADR compliance, must have had an exemption for the 88 Expo. The EFI 300 was never sold here I believe, so would never have gone through compliance.

The 300 was a great truck engine, I know one my dads mates pulled a tired 300 out of his f150 and put in a fresh 351 with a tow cam in it, he was that disappointed in it he sold the truck after that

In response to several comments:    Engine is coupled up to a C6 driving a non LSD 3.55. 8.5 x 16 rims.

A few comforts not available in 1971.... Cruise control,  A/C  &  heater.  Power steering from a Datsun 240K  next project!

I tried to attach a photo but it's too big. Well, too big for me to attach.

The 300 does not produce impressive fuel economy around town, but out in the open I get around 21 or so mpg. [you youngsters can google that into modern lingo]. There are numerous means by which to raise that figure to 24 - 25 or so.

I've only averaged 2,000 miles per year since 1978 so fuel economy is no biggy. [this calendar year it's traveled  42 km].

With very basic bolt ons there's no problem squeezing out 250+HP.  

It certainly does not have the 'slap you back in the seat' zip of a modern engine, but it could tow the Queen Mary out of a mud flat. I'm still toying with the idea of a Barra just for fun.

I bought this truck when I was 23 & I'm now 65.  It was my wedding car - now it's just a distraction half way through a back to metal re-paint. 

I still have the 240.

19 hours ago, Gary Palmer said:

I tried to attach a photo but it's too big. Well, too big for me to attach.

Hi and welcome, the site doesn't have storage for hosting photos, but you can easily link them or upload with tapatalk app

there's a bit of a how to i this thread below