bigpaulo

Paint Protection

Now that my utes been resprayed, im pretty keen to keep it looking this good. Ive seen heaps of detailers advertising paint protection, like a ceramic/glass or silicone coating or something similar, I dont really understand how it works. Whats the pros and cons of this paint protection stuff, and what alternatives, if any.

My two biggest enemies are stonechips and bird shit.

I have to park my car outside, and im pretty sure the birds in my area eat battery acid and then lock their targets directly on my car...

Cheers!

I may be proven wrong but I'm not a believer of paint protection. I think regularly washing and waxing will do the same thing without the bullshit price that some of these bunches a charging for paint protection. No paint protection will protect your paint from stone chips and birdshit that's left to sit in the sun for ages is also going to mark your paint. If someone in the know can prove me wrong I'm all ears.

I used to use a product called Selleys Glide on Glaze. Dont know if you can still get it or not but it was good at stopping bird shit sticking and effecting the paint. Also used to keep the water beading every wash. Only needed to do it once a year.

Nah same sort of price as polish. 

Ive been having a look and it appears its now called Polyglaze Glide on Glaze genII.

Dont know if it is still as good as it used to be.

the bonnet protector I had on the xf was held on by 6 self tappers along the leading edge of bonnet underneath   it was a clear plastic same as headlight protectors  it was a ford acc when purchased but I believe auger accessories make them along with weather window shields so ask at your parts place and they should be able to help    you will need to take them off periodically to clean behind it also

cheers demmo

Gotta say here as the owner of 2 cars with the plastic bonnet protector, these things are a pain in the bum to.

When it comes time to wash the car, you have to remove them to do a proper job, and they get leave's and 

what not behind them thus making them difficult to deal with.

I hated the headlight and bonnet protector so much on one of my cars i took them off.

I dont know what the answer is, but suggest just a good wax for paint protection. 

I may be proven wrong but I'm not a believer of paint protection. I think regularly washing and waxing will do the same thing without the bullshit price that some of these bunches a charging for paint protection. No paint protection will protect your paint from stone chips and birdshit that's left to sit in the sun for ages is also going to mark your paint. If someone in the know can prove me wrong I'm all ears.

This.

I offer paint protection BUT only to those that don't give a fuck about proper maintenance. With a good coating absolutely nothing will stick to it, wax, bird shit ,nothing. If you ever need a panel restated they won't be able to match it properly because of the characteristics of ceramic/glass coatings.

Invest in a GOOD wax be it synthetic or carnauba wax. The most important part that I can't emphasise enough is a proper washing technique with the two bucket method using a grit guard ( I should start a thread on this and other polishing matters, takers?). Also a proper drying technique, if you use a chamois you should be shot. Use a proper waffle weve drying towel and a quick detailer as a drying aid.

Believe it or not but most scratches and marring happen from the owner using improper washing techniques.

Spot on Valve, I wash my ute, clean all the paint, rinse her down, then first thing I do is Clay bar with a detailer spray, get all the contaminants out, only THEN are you ready to do anything else.

I only use micro fibre clothes and seperate ones for compound, polish or wax.

Quick detailer spray is awesome after it's all done, for a quick spruce up before a drive.

I can't afford really pro polishes and stuff but I think the Maguires stuff is pretty decent in the Gold and Ultimate range.

Stone chips are a bastard, I have a bonnet guard but am thinking of going to a custom made plexiglass one mounted on the roo bar to keep the rocks away from the roof, windscreen area. My bonnet guard has copped a hiding, without it out here, it be a sorry looking ute.

Jack.

Hey valvebouncer id definitely be keen to see a thread on how to correctly wash dry and wax a car. I've never used any wax or clay bars or anything other than car shampoo, so im all up for learning

Hey valvebouncer id definitely be keen to see a thread on how to correctly wash dry and wax a car. I've never used any wax or clay bars or anything other than car shampoo, so im all up for learning

Will do, give me a few days to take some photos.