Clevo120Y

Production Sedan Speedway

Hey guys, now that another race car that I developed the engine for is up and racing I thought I would start a new thread for it to update it's progress.

This is another XF but in the production class which is the next step up from the street stock cars. Another carby crossflow but SO much more freedom in development, modified intake manifold, ported head, balanced assembly, aftermarket ignition, electric water pump, 350 holley (modified), roller rockers etc etc but must be pump fuel.

So most of the stuff I have shared with you before but I will go over it again, this engine runs a 86da block, EF crank, 200 rods with 13cc pistons, ported XD head with 1.86in intake valves, 1.6in exhaust valves, yella terra adjustable rollers, head flows 212cfm. Comp is 10.5/1 with 6al msd ignition off XE dizzy, electric water pump, 1 3/4in long tube header. I ported the head, modified the intake manifold and built/modified the carb. I also speced out the bottom end but it was put together by the owner

The cam is a solid flat tappet that the owner already had so all my calculations are based around that. Cam specs are: In lift 562, ex lift 571, duration at 50 in 251 ex 254, ICL 105 LSA 106.5

So here are some pics of the head, manifold and carb work.

SAM_3182_zpsa85cd8f9.jpg

SAM_3184_zps2b744e7c.jpg

SAM_3148_zpsc0cc4292.jpg

SAM_2730_zps8667c846.jpg

SAM_2703_zps3d454701.jpg

SAM_2705_zps1fca9bda.jpg

SAM_2707_zps754f8df6.jpg

SAM_2711_zps289f7c39.jpg

SAM_2710_zpsa5ebe0e3.jpg

SAM_2709_zpsd9c4a181.jpg

SAM_2712_zps0f1d40e3.jpg

SAM_2725_zps0b9442e7.jpg

SAM_2728_zps85e252a4.jpg

I did all this work over a year ago but the car raced for the first time on the weekend, Wolfy (the owner) was over the moon with it's performance and said it was bad ass fast, so much so he rekons he needs to grow some bigger balls to drive it properly hahaha. I was talking to him today about how it went as I wasn't there and he said the power was everywhere, as soon as you got on it she was flying, previous engines he's had the power was delayed or had to build up speed, this engine pulls out the corners like no other and he didn't find the end of the power curve as he ran out of track. He said that he has to get used to it and was sitting behind cars just getting a feel for it but if he had bigger balls he could easily passed cars if he commited in the corners, looking at lap times and top speeds on the my laps site the car was running competitive times and speeds for it's first time out and him not using the car to it's full potential.

I'm stoked with it and it shows that the port design and size is perfectly matched to the cam and intake as there is no delay in power from lower in the rev range all the way to redline, there is more development work for this combination to come that WILL make it faster again and I haven't even tuned it yet, the 3rd of Jan I will get a look at it on the track and start the fine tuning process and slowly get the tune spot on, the production titles are at our Albany track this year so hopefully some home advantage will have us eating some more injected cars this season.

Cheers guys, yeah feeling good at the minute, another surgery early next year then see how we go.

Won't be too many updates until after Christmas but thought I would get the thread started now the car had 1 meet under it's belt.

Here is a vid of last night, just a short one of the first few laps, the new engine flies and I was pumped to see it in person, a great result for the first stage of the tune with more development to come on this one. I will tell more of last nights run later tonight. Enjoy

Yeah mate and she has more to give, he wasn't even pushing it, Wolfy said he didn't give it more than 70% throttle as he is still getting used to it. When you listen to the vid the other drivers are flogging theirs and the old boy is hardly on it hahaha. The blue car in front and the White one that came third (Wolfy ran second in that race and right up the arse of the blue one) they both are BIG $$$ cars from Perth that came down to have a run because the state titles are at the Albany track this year and the XF ran with them no worries and faster down the straights than both of them, the XF actually posted the fastest lap time in that race, Wolfy just isn't stringing enough of them together yet to be dominant.

Anyway the night went like this, heat 1 the car didn't make it out as it snapped an axel in the pits lol so heat 2 is the vid above and ran 2nd, heat 3 he ran 3rd behind the 2 Perth cars, he got back in the pits and said it was loosing power in the corners, found the reason, his pit crew were too busy celebrating how the car went in the last heat they didn't put any fuel in it so the car was sucking air in the corners hahaha I try to make my engines efficient but they can't run on air alone

you got something to slow the power steering down Sean.  If not have a look on my business FB page as I posted a pic of my pulley set up. 

Car sounds strong and good solid results.  We used to 're-fuel' my car after every heat so that (a) we never had that problem and b. we kept the rear percentage up (extra weight of fuel really helps here).

good stuff - get the boys to pit together - saves a lot of running and stress. 

He was driving the smart line to in that heat.  Just on the edge where the dirt goes to dark brown - lots of drive there.  The blue commy in the lead was also up there - 'Up high you fly - down low your slow' when the track is like that. 

25spline axles???

Cheers Ando, the only problem with this "race team" is that Wolfy owns the local wreckers so the car is put together with wrecker parts lol so yeah 25 spline axels, some sort of ribbed belt setup on the front hahaha, the guy is a great bloke but he won't spend money if he has something in the junk pile ☺️

$4 at the bearing shop for a 2" a section pulley and 2 seconds on the lathe to bore the centre out to 9/16 then a longer 9/16unf centre bolt from the bolt shop (maybe another $4) job done. 

As to the cars looking like junk - a wise man once said "They all look good with the chequer" and I'm sure both are not that far away from a couple of solid feature wins once the drivers get a bit more seat time.

Fletchers Q1 XF has only recently started to look reasonable - it used to look like junk and was lucky to finish a meeting with a panel still on it - but damn its fast.

Yeah mate still kicking haha, I have to do a metering plate for the carb, I used the one Wolfy had modified over East but it's not right, the idle mixture is all over the place, plus I have a few more developments to get done and she will be faster again

nah smaller drive pulley off the crank - slows the pump down at race speeds.  I should get some and machine them up and post them over - when is the next meeting?

Buying a larger pulley for the pump might be an option. Whats it off? Clarkos performance in qld do them. Or a guy in vic does them for some also.

This engine runs the multi rib EF balancer, alt and a Holden PS pump all on the same belt. We have wombats street stock setup like you have said above.

There is the problem - bloody GM shit not mixing well with ford. Bahahahahaha. Nah agreed - idler pulley required on the back side of the belt to stop flexing.