ando76

My Clevo build - Thoughts

I am putting together a reasonably healthy 351 Clevo for my Genuine XA GS.  As this is my first Clevo build I am after thoughts from those that have played with them more than me. 

I am after a 'hot street', hydraulic cam Clevo that has a reasonable note at idle and good mid range hit.  The car will be driven by wife as well, so a stupidly big solid is out of the question.  I will be using it in the Cairns Classic Rally next year which, whilst not a speed event - I still want to be able to give it a decent hit up when the opportunity arrives.

This is my current plan, using bits I have already with some minor purchased (cam & inlet mani)

700 Holley DP carb

Edelbrock Performer manifold with 1" open spacer (painted blue and 'edelbrock' castings removed)

2V Open chamber heads with Cam's legend seat cut, port and polish.

Single groove valves with back cuts and cams exhaust valve face tricks. 

Opened up oil returns and heads surfaced to get close to 10:1 comp. 

Isky 295D valve springs with isky locators, retainers and locks.  135lb on seat. 

Yella terra billet bolt on non-adjustables roller rockers.

Pacemaker 4 into ones which will go back to twin 2.5 with an x pipe with Hooker aero chambers in the stock location and moroso spiral flows in the rear 1/4's. 

Stock stroke 351 crank (Its a 4MA - whatever it is)

Comp cams Xtreme Energy Cam 32-246-4 - 230,236@.050 - .562/.565 on 110 lobe sep.

Std volume oil pump in modified larger capacity sump with crank scrapers and a bit of tray.

Additional Oil line from oil filter to rear oil pressure gauge fitting.

Opened up oil returns in the valley - de-bur valley

Stock pistons and rods.

This engine has had a recent rebuild so I'll probably just measure the bearings and rings and if they are all good they will go back in. 

Ignition wise I can not go past my favourite MSD6al2 with an MSD dizzy. 

The XA is factory 351, top loader and LSD 9" so all that will be used.  Unsure on ratio of 9"  (might pull it out tomorrow) 

So am I on the right track??? 

I have a mate who has a very similar combo in his xw, however runs a c4. The cam is super similar and comp slightly less at about 9.5:1, but is quite snappy and has a great lope to the idle. He runs a 3:1 9 inch I believe and it gets off its ass ok.

It got ditched for this comp cam unit.  After I saw the head flow results and then the pictures of the inlet tract that were put up on the other thread - I just could not bare to put my heads on like that. 

I rang Cam and asked him if he had time to go the whole hog on the heads and one thing lead to another so we went up a fraction on camshaft selection.  It performs between 2000-6000 according to Comp Cams so its seems right for the application.

FORD_MAN - Stainless extractor would be nice but the car came with these Pacey's and I'm sort of trying to use what I have in this build. I'm also trying to keep a 'stock' looking bay due to the car being a reasonably rare combination so paceys blasted and painted in black header paint will have to do. 

Thats a nice Motor combo ya got ando,  you got it sussed.

Diff gears, I'd be using something a lil taller with a top loader for ya rallye drive. Otherwise she be screaming and drinking like a fish if it has street gearing.... 4.11.

I found the 3.45 in my ute good as a combo for both, but I got a 5th gear. So in yours, somewhere around 2.73 or low 3's.

Should keep ya ... cough, cough...." fuel economy "resonable....... hehe

Jack.

Yeah Jack - Fuel economy is not really an issue - its never going to get anywhere near the wife's polo gti - nor be as fast - BUT it will sound a whole heap cooler. 

I'm going to pull the centre out first thing this morning to see what is in there.  I bought another 9" a while ago for the speedway car and I have no clue what gearing is in either, I wasn't worried as I was putting in my 6.0's for speedway. 

They do a slowest go-to- whoa in the rally to I think so all round gearing like 3.0's or 3.23 would be ideal I think.  Best part about a 9" tho is the ability to just throw another pumkin at it. 

I'll chase down some highway gears for it as well as I have a real hankering to drive this thing to the Leyburn sprints.  It will not be as fast as the brother in laws HONDA VTEC mini but it will chuck better full opposite lock skids out of the corners. 

There should be 2 numbers and a dash between em on the gear , divide the second number into the first and thats ya gear ratio.

42-15  = 42 divided by 15 = 2.8 ratio

You probably know that, but someone will find that handy.

It will be faster than the Polo.... just ram it before ya drag.... hehehe.

Best of luck mate.

Jack.

Thom I believe the cam is XE274H which is a hydraulic and an absolute ripper and not saying that cause thats the one I was going to use before going crossflow.

Ando what is the track like for the sprint up there? Leyburn is quite tight with slow corner speeds so gearing at or very close to 3.0 should allow you to keep the car in 2nd and third using the mountains of torque out of the corners.

XE274H ( or HR) are an awesome street camshaft especially for a driver with a bit of poke I know of one car that has seen high 12's with that stick (HR version) gets driven absolutely everywhere

That sounds good Thom.

Ryan the rally is held on normal roads mostly with some 'closed' sections. It more of a navigational timed rally and from all accounts from entrants it is a hoot.

I just reckon it will be fun in a big old Aussie muscle car. Might stick the coil over conversion from the race car into the front end, just for shuts and giggles.

The car came with brand new slotted rotors so that and a soft set of pads and we shod be able to pull the big beast up. Failing that I'll just handbrake slide the fecker.

Sounds abit more open than leyburn. Comp cams suggests 3.73 but thats with an auto and most likely bigger diameter wheels like pro touring setup. So if you are using standard 25 inch diameter tyres with something like 3.08 or 3.23 it should be nice and fun

Yeah rears are 245/60/14 on the 12 slotters although I do have a set of 15" globes that I can play with as well. 

Didn't get the centre out today - got to busy with paying work instead.  damn it.  just not enough hours in the day for me atm. 

Yeah seriously not a huge fan of slotters but being an XA GS that is what it bloody came with and I'm sort of keen on the original look. 

I've got the globes and with the hoist in the shed now it only takes a heart beat to swap wheels.  Gotta a lot of panel and paint to do before the wheels get fitted anyway.

feel free to drop into the shed any Saturday to help if you like - always beer in the fridge. 

No secrets mate - Just get Cam @ Engine engineering in Brisbane to cut them for you.  He has developed his cutters over the years - most recently when he was at Performance Wholesale doing all the Sprintcar stuff and some V8 supercar stuff. 

His cuts give you awesome low lift cfm figures to back up his port work.  The man is a genius but you pay for that knowledge.  His rates are very reasonable but you can't be in a hurry as he always busy. 

Waiting for some pictures Ando⌚️

Well not a great deal to see at the moment, It's just a clevo on an engine stand. I wont get the heads back from Cam until late November, so in the mean time I'm getting some body work happening.